Direction of the arms in the swing....

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
and they say some people over think the golf swing lol. Do we get a 2nd diagram for the next picosecond?

I'm with Fundy on this one.

Why would it matter? I'm not going to swing that way anyway! And I've got about 147 other sing thoughts I'm trying to flush too!

Can't see the point of the question in fact - it's an unrealistic situation being asked about.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I'm with Fundy on this one.

Why would it matter? I'm not going to swing that way anyway! And I've got about 147 other sing thoughts I'm trying to flush too!

Can't see the point of the question in fact - it's an unrealistic situation being asked about.

1,290 replies and over 100,000 page views at GolfWRX means that at least some people don't find it pointless. I think it's helped a lot of people understand the backswing isn't 'created' by the arms swinging the club around oneself, and put them on a better path [pun intended] :p About 40 replies here of which 20 don't even understand the question :thup:

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
This is actually a very good thread and question, and I have to mostly agree with JO on this

A very good reason why it is important is that if you are trying to work out why yournswing is not performing is to be able to break it down into its component parts which means wrist cock, arm lift, shoulder turn and hip turn.
You can do each of those individually from your initial set up, and in fact if you have never done so it is quite educational to see what arm lift and wrist cock (say) actually involve when you do them on their own, and also what they do to the club head and shaft.

E.g. At set up, try And cock your wrists without doing anything else - where does the club go ? And when you think that unlocking your wrist in the last point of the downswing , it is not surprising that many people don't have a square club face at impact.

Or try to turn your hips without shoulder turn etc - then you can feel the movement in your feet that allows this movement, and in fact how little movement is needed to move your hips to 45 degrees to the right

Etc etc

very very useful,

In particular if you see what happens when you "lift" your arms without doing anything else - where does the club go ? quite a shock for many

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
1,290 replies and over 100,000 page views at GolfWRX means that at least some people don't find it pointless. I think it's helped a lot of people understand the backswing isn't 'created' by the arms swinging the club around oneself, and put them on a better path [pun intended] :p About 40 replies here of which 20 don't even understand the question :thup:

Better point me to the WRX thread then. Because I can't see the point of the OP. Your vid, on the other hand, is interesting, but something that's nothing new. I seem to remember Bob (I think) posting that the 'top of the back-swing' can be established this way eons ago and it was one of the first things my coach showed me many years ago.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
You're right, it's nothing new, I don't even know why Virtuocity started the thread, perhaps he didn't know......

Here's Bob doin' it.....

[video=youtube;bhBL4jB--Z4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhBL4jB--Z4[/video]

Hopefully Virtuocity feels really ashamed now and won't come here posting this swing rubbish any more, especially not old stuff!! ;)

Last edited:

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It reads to me like a few people have taken the question to mean "how would you swing if you weren't allowed to move your shoulders" when it might have been better to word the question "how do the arms move relative to the shoulders during the golf swing"

Just my opinion. I also think there are other things worth worrying about more, but nothing wrong with discussing it - nicely, and without playing games and setting traps.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
330x182px-LL-7dc6c095_micheal-jackson-eating-popcorn-theater-gif.gif

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have a look at Furyk and Darcy's swings
They do something not dissimilar in their backswings and it hasn't done their careers any harm

A

Alex1975

It's the aggressive defence and language used in the post that is so laughable. Are you trying to help people enjoy there golf more or massage your ego?

Once again its possible that I have missed the point of the post. Is this just about keeping the arms in front of the chest throughout the swing?

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
It reads to me like a few people have taken the question to mean "how would you swing if you weren't allowed to move your shoulders" when it might have been better to word the question "how do the arms move relative to the shoulders during the golf swing"

Just my opinion. I also think there are other things worth worrying about more, but nothing wrong with discussing it - nicely, and without playing games and setting traps.

Is suggesting to Virtuocity how he should word his own questions a game or a trap? :p

If it's a trap then perhaps he might PM you to proof read all of his posts/thread tiltes/questions so the wording suits. Are these the 'other things worth worrying about more' that you were referring to or was there something else even more pressing?

If it's not a trap and it's a game then thanks for playing! ...and who's turn is it? ;)

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Is suggesting to Virtuocity how he should word his own questions a game or a trap? :p

It wasn't intended to be. After realising what the question was about I just thought it could have been described better. I meant nothing by it.

If it's a trap then perhaps he might PM you to proof read all of his posts/thread tiltes/questions so the wording suits.

That's just being facetious.

Are these the 'other things worth worrying about more' that you were referring to or was there something else even more pressing?

No they aren't, but I'm not going there as I don't want to be thought of as rude, although it may be too late.

I shall keep my opinions to myself in future.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

If it's a trap then perhaps he might PM you to proof read all of his posts/thread tiltes/questions so the wording suits. Are these the 'other things worth worrying about more' that you were referring to or was there something else even more pressing?

If it's not a trap and it's a game then thanks for playing! ...and who's turn is it? ;)

No James, you set the traps. We know you are clever but you don't need to put down others to prove it.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
No they aren't, but I'm not going there as I don't want to be thought of as rude, although it may be too late.

I wouldn't be offended by anything you say Gary, I don't consider you rude at all. I did think that given the 'tension' already in the thread that it was kind of ironic that your first contribution to the thread was to criticise Virtuocity on his choice of words and then go on to say "there are other things worth worry about more". If we are at crossed wires then I apologise. I'd be interested which other things IN THE SWING are worth worrying about more than taking the club away properly, getting it on plane properly and setting yourself up for the downswing properly but I respect your choice to keep your opinions to yourself and ignore my posts if that's what you want.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I did think that given the 'tension' already in the thread that it was kind of ironic that your first contribution to the thread was to criticise Virtuocity on his choice of words

It wasn't intended as criticism, and I apologise if it came across that way.

I was just trying to explain to anyone who had misinterpreted the original question what I thought it meant.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
It wasn't intended as criticism, and I apologise if it came across that way.

I was just trying to explain to anyone who had misinterpreted the original question what I thought it meant.

It was crystal clear what your post was about and you were right, I just happened to pass comment on the ironic side given the state of the thread. I though my post was reasonably clearly tongue in cheek given that I put two of my best smilies in there!!! :p

Now what are these more important things? ;)

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
You're right, it's nothing new, I don't even know why Virtuocity started the thread, perhaps he didn't know......

Here's Bob doin' it.....

[video=youtube;bhBL4jB--Z4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhBL4jB--Z4[/video]

Hopefully Virtuocity feels really ashamed now and won't come here posting this swing rubbish any more, especially not old stuff!! ;)

Can this weird takeaway be used as a drill to swing a bit more upright in the backswing?

I might be wrong but if you freeze it at the top of Bob's backswing that his hands are higher than normal. I might need to try this weird backswing if it somehow trains me to swinging the club a little more upright.