Dilemma

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Played in the medal today. Brutal hang over after a funeral yesterday.

Played ok ish on the front nine, until the par 3 ninth. I missed the green left, and ended up in GUR, where they are trying to regrow some grass. This GUR is about 20 yards long, all up the left side, and about 5 yards wide. My nearest point of relief was in the woods, in foot deep stingers. Nice. Checked, but no dropping zone.

I was not sure if we have a local rule where you have to take a drop, or not. My fault, fine, what ever. I elected to play it, as there is no way I am bothering to drop in the stingers.got a 4.

Played an ok back nine, but then NR'ed on 18 after two lost balls.

Now my stableford adjustment will buffer, even though I am out of the medal. But, I subsequently find I have to drop out of the GUR, so effectively I have signed for a wrong score on 9.

So, do I fess up, and get point one back, or leave it, and buffer?

Note, in the club house, most people I spoke to would not have taken the drop in the stingers, but would have taken a nicer drop somewhere else, that was not the nearest point, but the nearest nice point.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
You know the answer....
1. You have established that you have signed for a wrong score, too low, prior to the competition being closed - you advise the committee of exactly that.
2. The committee should have a drop zone if they start creating GUR NPZ such that a players whose ball ends up in the area is disadvantaged to that extent.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Don't see you have much choice but to speak up. I know there will be some with less integrity that wouldn't but for my own piece of mind in your position I'd have to say something. It wouldn't sit right

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Thing is I will fess up, mainly because I think they need a DZ. But from my conversations in the club house, there must be quite a few who have taken a wrong drop who will not have a scooby, and who's score will stand.

I am also in the camp of can you dq from an nr?

It also looks like I bunged the parachute on 18 not wanting to get cut (which was looking likely) and then avoid buffer by claiming a misdemeanor on 9.

RW1986

Head Pro
Visit site
Thing is I will fess up, mainly because I think they need a DZ. But from my conversations in the club house, there must be quite a few who have taken a wrong drop who will not have a scooby, and who's score will stand.

I am also in the camp of can you dq from an nr?

It also looks like I bunged the parachute on 18 not wanting to get cut (which was looking likely) and then avoid buffer by claiming a misdemeanor on 9.

You know the truth though so you know in your own head that you've done the right thing regardless of what others may say.

Deffo bring up the DZ point though as you're right. People won't be dropping in trees if it's going to put them in a worse place than where they were already.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Yeah, I have emailed in, and asked that my 4 becomes an 8, and I guess I may also be dq'ed, if you can dq with an NR.

One step nearer to a 12 handicap.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What's the difference ?

Bedantic I know.

It is just a case of getting players used to the new terminology eg stopping using the word hazard and using penalty area instead.

Using the correct terminology makes finding finding the correct rule, penalties and procedures easier. eg the only place in the rule book rule will find 'play prohibited' in the rule book is in the definition of a No Play Zone.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Bedantic I know.

It is just a case of getting players used to the new terminology eg stopping using the word hazard and using penalty area instead.

Using the correct terminology makes finding finding the correct rule, penalties and procedures easier. eg the only place in the rule book rule will find 'play prohibited' in the rule book is in the definition of a No Play Zone.

Quick, change it before anyone else sees it.

The point I was making is why do people change things/words/phrases when we have perfectly good examples in use that everyone understands.
Everyone understands 'play prohibited' there was no need to change it to another phrase that means exactly the same thing.
Just my pet hate at the moment.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Quick, change it before anyone else sees it.

The point I was making is why do people change things/words/phrases when we have perfectly good examples in use that everyone understands.
Everyone understands 'play prohibited' there was no need to change it to another phrase that means exactly the same thing.
Just my pet hate at the moment.
I agree to a certain extent

IN this case however it does make the green keeper's job easier. Instead of marking up places as GUR and adding a notice 'play prohibited' they just have to mark them as NPZ.