Dilemma

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
Quick, change it before anyone else sees it.

The point I was making is why do people change things/words/phrases when we have perfectly good examples in use that everyone understands.
Everyone understands 'play prohibited' there was no need to change it to another phrase that means exactly the same thing.
Just my pet hate at the moment.

The rules need to translated into many different languages and a lot of the terminology changes we now see makes translation easier.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Know this is wrong now from what you guys have said, but I'll be honest, I probably wouldn't have bothered notifying them of that when I've already NRed the medal.

What sort of set up has a GUR where you can't possibly drop it anywhere decent? That's rubbish. They need to sort that out surely?

D

Deleted member 15344

Know this is wrong now from what you guys have said, but I'll be honest, I probably wouldn't have bothered notifying them of that when I've already NRed the medal.

What sort of set up has a GUR where you can't possibly drop it anywhere decent? That's rubbish. They need to sort that out surely?

You are required to let them know even if you NR because your NR could still have resulted in a HC adjustment. It’s a simple DQ for signing the wrong score card for the incorrect drop. All about integrity and you even know it’s wrong yet wouldn’t inform the committee ?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Sometimes, clubs declare GUR's at short notice with the best intentions to protect the course and don't always use joined up thinking about the DZ's and so a polite note to prompt them especially if the GUR is there for a period of time helps them help you. As for the NR/DQ you should mention it regardless but I concede that many players wouldn't bother so I don't think you'd be alone in your actions

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You are required to let them know even if you NR because your NR could still have resulted in a HC adjustment. It’s a simple DQ for signing the wrong score card for the incorrect drop. All about integrity and you even know it’s wrong yet wouldn’t inform the committee ?
For the sake of maybe getting a 0.1? No can't see the point really. It's not like it affects anyone else since I was already NRed from the comp in this scenario. Seems like a lot of effort for nothing really. As OP pointed out, I'm sure others fell foul of it and wouldn't have bothered reporting. I'd just say it was club's fault for not having a decent drop zone marked and call it even. :)

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
For the sake of maybe getting a 0.1? No can't see the point really. It's not like it affects anyone else since I was already NRed from the comp in this scenario. Seems like a lot of effort for nothing really. As OP pointed out, I'm sure others fell foul of it and wouldn't have bothered reporting. I'd just say it was club's fault for not having a decent drop zone marked and call it even. :)
You haven't really got the gist of 'the morality aspect of golf' have you!

You do the right thing! And also highlight the issue so that, hopefully, no-one else falls foul of the same poor situation!

D

Deleted member 15344

Oh dear - I believe you don’t seem to understand the self policing of golf and the morality of it plus self integrity. A NR can also result in a HC cut - it’s not automatically a .1 due to Stableford adjustments- so if you believe the score on the hole is wrong and you have signed for a wrong score there is only one course of action - inform the HC of the error and let them deal with it accordingly. Failure to do that is cheating at the end of the day and would question what other rulings would be ignored

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Oh dear - I believe you don’t seem to understand the self policing of golf and the morality of it plus self integrity. A NR can also result in a HC cut - it’s not automatically a .1 due to Stableford adjustments- so if you believe the score on the hole is wrong and you have signed for a wrong score there is only one course of action - inform the HC of the error and let them deal with it accordingly. Failure to do that is cheating at the end of the day and would question what other rulings would be ignored
1. If I was anywhere near likely to get a handicap cut I wouldn't have NRed in the first place.
2. It's nothing to do with morality, it's just laziness. If I was on for a prize or a cut and realised I had made a scoring error then obviously I would let them know. If I was NRed anyway and it makes no difference I'd just feel like I was wasting everybody's time since it doesn't affect anything.

I'm just being honest in response to the thread that's all. If everyone was in the clubhouse discussing it after the round and I realised I'd made the error, then I'd mention it then but I wouldn't phone them up later on and report when it makes no difference to anything, what's the point.

Last edited:

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Seems crazy to me that there was no DZ for this scenario - at least if you inform them that might get corrected. Would a retrospective DQ lead to 0.1?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Does there have to be a DZ for a no play zone/GUR?

No, but in this case, the nearest point of relief for a considerable length of the GUR leads to an unplayable lie. This in itself is not an issue, as it is tough luck. What is the issue is that a large proportion of golfers do not know the correct rule, and so are not playing the same course/rules as every body else.

It also does not help the slow play issue, in first off looking for a DZ that does not exist, and then taking NPR, and dropping into an unplayable. The next option is stroke and distance, meaning going back to the tee, with all the subsequent delays.

All solved by a DZ.