Defensive golf / Course Management

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
As I always say when I am asked this question and when I am out with beginners.

Take the advice of the great Scottish golfer and coach of the 1950s…Tommy Armour…his two practical principles…

Play the shot you’ve got the greatest chance of playing well, and
Play the shot that makes the next shot easy.
In this book, perhaps? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Play-Your-...1&s=books&sprefix=tommy+armour,aps,928&sr=1-1

I inherited it from my father. Still have it.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Excluding a 3 off the tee which can just wreck a hole, it’s definitely about not following a bad shot with another. As said above, get yourself in position to minimise your score. The tighten your short game and putting to try and steal holes back.

I said to a mate who plays off around 21. The key for me when at that level was using my handicap and hitting GIR plus 1. Then stealing pars with a single put. Stick with this attitude and he’ll score a few normal pars as well. He’s now playing so much better With a lot less disaster holes.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Good course management can about being aggressive too, ie taking hazards out of play by being long or playing for the back of the freen rather than the middle. A lot of this depends on how well you're hitting the ball granted but course management isn't always about laying up.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Good course management can about being aggressive too, ie taking hazards out of play by being long or playing for the back of the freen rather than the middle. A lot of this depends on how well you're hitting the ball granted but course management isn't always about laying up.

Good shout.

Our 12th is like that. Its 350 odd hole. It's around 230 to clear trees left and right. Downwind I can easily take out the trees left and right so its driver every time.
Into a stiff wind I have hit 3 wood to try and keep myself out of those trees but leaving a longer approach.

So its not always. Its into wind. I must hit driver to try and get closer.

Reactions: Val

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I've always been rubbish at course management, if there's a chance I can hit the green then I'll go for it.

I know that this messes with my scores and handicap and have tried to be more pragmatic in my shot selection but I soon revert to stupid hero shots.

My best way of counteracting this tendency, if I can make myself do it, is to do as others have said and think what I'd advise another player to do if I were their caddy.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
For me it's about not compounding mistakes, ie If you miss a fairway don't play a hero shot with a 3 wood out of knee high rough, but get back in play.

Grizzly

Visit site
As I always say when I am asked this question and when I am out with beginners.

Take the advice of the great Scottish golfer and coach of the 1950s…Tommy Armour…his two practical principles…

Play the shot you’ve got the greatest chance of playing well, and
Play the shot that makes the next shot easy.

Smart guy. I know I'm in a different boat to a lot of you, in that i get a lot of shots, but that second point really resonates. I looked at my few good scores whilst being out injured recently and found that most all of them came when i more or less put my driver away. With a hybrid, I might be short, but even my bad shot (skier) with that club left me close to the fairway, rather than three off the tee or in the forest!

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Its all about understanding your shot pattern, imagine hitting 10, 7 irons to a target at the range, if your a touring pro they all probably land in about a 10 yard radius circle. You can all determine what size your own circle is.

Aim that circle so none of it is in a hazard, if you cant do that because it hits two or more hazards, move it away from the worst one.

Thats it, do that for every shot.