Deep Freezers - advice

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Mrs has been looking to get a deep freezer for a while. With all the Corona nonsense going along, this seems to have heightend the request. So looking for a deep freezer which will go into our (uninsulated) garage. Initial scan of the Interweb shows most of them need an operating temp of 10+., which we cant guarantee in our garage. Anyone having experience in this space? (not looking for 'stock piling' advice :) )

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Beko make chest freezers capable of being in garages and unheated outbuildings. Mine is my unheated bottom of the garden garage:)

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We are lucky we have had a freezer outside for years (previous owner left it for us)

Got our normal stock up in there. Lots of frozen meals pre prepared for lunches for work etc

Will get some steak from the meat market next week. Should be ok I reckon going at 3am. Might help the market again it's been dead

Wonder if this outbreak will get people back into having stuff stored at home..a lot of people went to ad hoc shopping due to it being so easy these days

The guys my age at work who live alone go to the shops to decide what to eat that day

Me and the wife have our meals for the week planned with the stuff in to make it

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
The guys my age at work who live alone go to the shops to decide what to eat that day

I used to do that but I timed it for the discounted stuff going on the shelf. Could get a bang up meal from waitrose for half the cost!

I also used to make soups, freezer food and stretch the same ingredients across multiple days to save money. I was saving up for a house deposit so every penny counted, still had to live a bit though so the discount waitrose stuff filled the gap.

Now we usually cook way too much food just so we can portion it off for the freezer so we can have quick meals as needed.

Standard food freezing rules apply, even if you use a chest freezer.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I used to do that but I timed it for the discounted stuff going on the shelf. Could get a bang up meal from waitrose for half the cost!

I also used to make soups, freezer food and stretch the same ingredients across multiple days to save money. I was saving up for a house deposit so every penny counted, still had to live a bit though so the discount waitrose stuff filled the gap.

Now we usually cook way too much food just so we can portion it off for the freezer so we can have quick meals as needed.

Standard food freezing rules apply, even if you use a chest freezer.

Wife just made a lovely curry.. 3 portions in the freezer for another time

Iceland order done for frozen burgers etc the cheap.ones for little lady