Decisions, Decisions

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Been at my current club since 2016 but when it came to renewal at end of June, I didn’t do it. Partly because I was busy with a major house Reno job but partly because I just haven’t been playing much thanks to weather closures and minor injuries.

Club has contacted me offering me my spot before going out to waiting list folks but I’m still procrastinating.

Been thinking of moving to another club but after 8 years at Pitreavie unsure if I should but can’t say why. Some underlying loyalty subconsciously perhaps.

Potential new club is a nice seaside course, shorter than current but generally well regarded.

Should I make the move or stick with what I know? Decisions, decisions…

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
I guess it will always come down to you at the end but if it was me this is what i would be making my decision on

Quality of course
Friendlyness
Distance
Cost
Level of access to the course

If you don’t mind leaving friends behind and being ok with jumping in with new people then a change is always good

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I guess it will always come down to you at the end but if it was me this is what i would be making my decision on

Quality of course
Friendlyness
Distance
Cost
Level of access to the course

If you don’t mind leaving friends behind and being ok with jumping in with new people then a change is always good
I know loads of folk but don’t have “friends” at current club. My mates are all members at different clubs.

Distance, it’s an extra 10 min drive, cost wise it’s £70 cheaper and it’s always been in good condition when I’ve played it.

But then so is Pitreavie.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I know loads of folk but don’t have “friends” at current club. My mates are all members at different clubs.

Distance, it’s an extra 10 min drive, cost wise it’s £70 cheaper and it’s always been in good condition when I’ve played it.

As an opposite point of view I'd stick with your current course. You know everyone, how the club works and where and when it is busy. Sometimes it can be hard to get "in" and get regular games and get to know people. Better the devil you know

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Based on the recent weather changes, which will be in the best conditions generally and which will be in the better condition / open most in the winter?

I fear our winters will only get worse, so the course which is more playable during the winter would get my vote.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Based on the recent weather changes, which will be in the best conditions generally and which will be in the better condition / open most in the winter?

I fear our winters will only get worse, so the course which is more playable during the winter would get my vote.

This would be a big factor in my decision as well.

I'm looking at the option of getting Jamie joined at Huddersfield - it's much more playable through the winter than most of the courses in the area - you only have to look at the records on England Golf of the guy's that play there to see when they are submitting scores compared to the clubs we both play at.

Flip side is the cost - higher annual fees and a joining fee - although I think that is waved for juniors.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site

Is the other option Aberdour?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
If you don’t have friends you play with, maybe a move will bring extra enthusiasm to play. Then it’s down to quality of the course and how many weather closures the course experiences.

If you do decide to move, check the fixture list of the course you’re thinking of going to. Maybe there won’t be enough, or too many, comps for you. Maybe there are closures for scratch events or county fixtures.

Good luck.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is the other option Aberdour?
Yes.

Closure wise, they still fall foul to the weather but having spoken to the secretary there this year they have had 17 closure days. Pitreavie have had 36.

I don’t do roll ups or any of that nonsense, I either play comps or casual rounds with mates (as visitors, then I play at their course etc etc).

Pitreavie is handy for an evening round after work at 15 mins away but then its only an additional 10 mins drive if I change.

I might do it for this year and see what its like, if it doesn’t work out I can always re-join Pitreavie I guess.

RichA

Visit site
There must be a reason for your thinking of leaving.
Take the winter off. Join the new place in Spring 2025. Fresh start.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
There must be a reason for your thinking of leaving.
Take the winter off. Join the new place in Spring 2025. Fresh start.
As above, a combination of closures in the early part of the year plus not playing much.

Think it's a bit early in the year to be thinking about taking the winter off. Still 3 months of golf to play before that. Now that renovation works are complete I want to get back to playing regularly, this is where the question of where has arisen.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yes.

Pitreavie is handy for an evening round after work at 15 mins away but then its only an additional 10 mins drive if I change.

I might do it for this year and see what its like, if it doesn’t work out I can always re-join Pitreavie I guess.
For me if its an extra 10 minutes each way it is quite a big difference if you enjoy a bit of golf in the evening . When my kids were young holes on my own in the evening was most of my golf.
10 minutes each way is 20 minutes total together with the fifteen minutes it is nearly an hours travel which would have made it a lot less practical for me.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
For me if its an extra 10 minutes each way it is quite a big difference if you enjoy a bit of golf in the evening . When my kids were young holes on my own in the evening was most of my golf.
10 minutes each way is 20 minutes total together with the fifteen minutes it is nearly an hours travel which would have made it a lot less practical for me.
It would be a problem for me too. Not a problem at a weekend but if I was going straight from work as I do now I want to be there asap and out on the course

Springveldt

Visit site

One of the reasons I picked my new club, it's sand based and open most of the winter.

Played invitation day at the weekend at my old club, still love the layout of the course, the walk, the scenery in summer etc but it rained on Saturday but as usual it was then closed on Sunday. Like you, I'm thinking we are going to get more mild, wetter winters going forward so come November time when my old club is shut and I'm still playing on normal greens (old club go to winter greens which are just white circles in the fairway for most of the winter) I'll be thankful of my decision to move.