Deciding between clubs - booked tee off times or not?

Montezuma

Hacker
Visit site
Hi all

I've been a lurker for a while but finally have something to say that I think is worth a bit of discussion. I've just moved to South Bucks from London and am looking to join my first club. I feel like I've narrowed it down to a shortlist of two but was hoping to get all your thoughts on a couple of things.

Basically I'm now deciding between Burnham Beeches and The Buckinghamshire. I've played 27 holes at Burnham Beeches, 9 of which was with a member that I happened to bump into, and tomorrow morning I'm off to join the roll-up at the Bucks club and play there for the first time. Based upon current impressions I think:

Burnham:
Very close to home - 5 mins drive from my house
Nice course in good condition, good elevation changes to keep it interesting, although not a drop of water in sight
Bit cheaper
Atmosphere seems good, certainly the couple of members I've met just whilst being there have been very welcoming

The Bucks:
Slightly further away, but still close - 15 mins drive
Course looks really nice - they actually hold the Ladies European Masters there
Bit more expensive, although I do get a discount for being the low side of 35
Risk the place is a bit more corporate, but I'm hoping attending the roll-up tomorrow will give me a good feel for what the membership is really like and whether we'd get on.

So my questions for you are: anyone happen to have any experiences of either club? (a bit of a long shot I know) If I find that the course is nicer at Bucks but the social side isn't as good, any tips on how to decide between them?

And finally - Burnham doesn't book tee times, apart from during competitions, whereas the Bucks does. My likely playing times will be weekend mornings (very popular of course), and evenings after work when the light is good enough (quiet I imagine). Having never played somewhere I don't have to book a tee time, what are your thoughts on that setup? Better? Worse? My concern is that I'd end up at the back of a massive queue every weekend morning. On the flip side, if I can decide on a whim to turn up and play that would be a great upside.

All thoughts appreciated! Getting very excited at the thought of finally joining my own club, getting an official handicap and then working to get it down to a respectable number.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
This should be good......

My club has a booking system and it works really well for me.

It all depends how it's set up though. What I read on here in terms of how badly some clubs have their system set up is crazy.

Not sure if by accident or design but my place it works brilliantly for comps the way it is set up to use.

Having a young family and limited golf time knowing when I'm playing is a bonus, I appreciate others prefer the rock up and play system though.

Edit, you will be bombarded with extreme scenarios for and against both systems now!!! I.e those who prefer rock up and play moaning that they wouldn't book a tee time 26 years in advance, those that prefer bookings sating they wouldn't wait 4 hours to go out etc etc!

D

Deleted Member 1156

My view is that the club doesn't have a booking system for the very simple reason that it doesn't need one! If there was a problem getting on the course I'm pretty sure any half decent club would address the issue.

No brainer for me, can't beat the luxury of just rolling up and playing whenever you want rather than having to plan a week in advance.

Also, you'll find it much easier to meet people with relaxed rollups rather than people prebooking in the same 4 ball every week.

Last edited by a moderator:

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
My view is that the club doesn't have a booking system for the very simple reason that it doesn't need one!

No brainer for me, can't beat the luxury of just rolling up and playing whenever you want rather than having to plan a week in advance.

Also, you'll find it much easier to meet people with relaxed rollups rather than people prebooking in the same 4 ball every week.

And right on cue!!!

I don't have to book a week in advance. Might go out later tonight and can book a time (if I have to, rarely do in the evenings) anytime I like. I'd like to consider my club more than "half decent" aswell :thup:

Disclaimer, I'm not that bothered either way, I guess you make whichever system is in place work for you at the club. I wouldn't mind either system

Last edited:

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
even though my club does not have one, if I were joining a new club on my own I would seriously consider one with a booking system. It allows you to book in with other groups to meet people rather than standing around the clubhouse like a lemon asking for a game. Also, my experience of clubs without booking systems is that people play in their groups and unless there are drawn comps or regular roll ups it is not so easy to find a game as people are set in their ways and have their own groups that they like to play with.

Longer term, I prefer the idea of not having to book and having joined a couple of clubs on my own I am used to the idea of hunting for playing partners but if I were starting again and the option was there, I would pick one with a booking system just for the ease of meeting people and getting integrated into the club.

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Both systems can work well and satisfy the needs of their members. Most important thing to find out about each club is whether they DO work well at those particular clubs. You can only do that by asking a few members if you can.

Amongst equally important questions in my mind would be

Is it a private members or corporate club?
Do they have drawn competitons?
How does the course play in the wet winter?
Do they have enough/too many competitions scheduled at the times you can play?

and most crucially

How good are their bacon rolls?

D

Deleted Member 1156

, I would pick one with a booking system just for the ease of meeting people and getting integrated into the club.

That's interesting....the direct opposite of my experience. I found people tend to play in the same groups every week whereas in a proper rollup you can get to know a big bunch of people very quickly.

Slicer30

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Welcome to the forum- also in bucks here.

I recently moved from a club which had the BRS system, which I only used on weekends before 12pm. In my new club there a daily rollups, where the time to rollup is well displayed in the website and clubhouse. This was a big factor in my move as I was joining on my own, so gave me an instant option for getting to know new members. They also have a booking system for sundays which you can put your name down with any group, so again no need to have your own group.

D

Deleted member 15344

I would have no issue with any method as there is always a way to play when you want

I prefer the roll up and play wherever without the need to book

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I've played Burnham Beeches several times and think it's a lovely traditional course. I've walked round the Buckinghamshire several times watching the Ladies European Masters tournament, although I have never played it. It looks like a pretty tough modern course, and I believe the membership fee is quite expensive there.

Our club has an on-line booking system, but as long as you avoid the peak morning tee times, you can still pretty much walk onto it whenever you like. Even at peak times you may be able to join up with somebody who has pre-booked.

Last edited:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Pretty chalk and cheese the two options. Personally preference for me would be a turn up and play environment no booking system which would favour Burnham but for me the Buckinghamshire is a better track (albeit Burnham is still nice).

I expect if I was in your shoes price would pay a large part in the decision, dare say Id have a slight preference for the Buckinghamshire but thats without knowing the membership structure, comps, roll ups etc. Expect you will end up pretty happy at either

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
The Bucks is a nice enough course though I'm not keen on very flat courses.
The few times I've played there, it just feels a bit empty and soulless

D

Deleted member 15344

The Bucks is a nice enough course though I'm not keen on very flat courses.
The few times I've played there, it just feels a bit empty and soulless

That would be my thinking exactly - my mate left after a year because the whole place felt empty and soulless and not just the course

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My view is that the club doesn't have a booking system for the very simple reason that it doesn't need one! If there was a problem getting on the course I'm pretty sure any half decent club would address the issue.

Why doesn't it need one? Surely the club would want to be able to manage their start sheet to maximise golfers on the course?

G

guest100718

Ah another BRS argument....

Some clubs don't have them, but no clubs with established tee booking systems are thinking of dropping them for a roll up system.

Many places have dropped roll up systems for a booking system, with other considering it

In this day and age there is no real reason to keep an outdated system for the benefit of the old members.

D

Deleted member 18588

Why doesn't it need one? Surely the club would want to be able to manage their start sheet to maximise golfers on the course?

Many members' clubs prefer not to have tee-booking because that is what their owners i.e. the members want.

Many proprietary clubs will prefer the alternative as their objective is to maximise the return on their capital which will generally require a busy first tee that needs to be managed by a start sheet.

V

vkurup

Why did you not post this last week!!!

I played Hoebridge and we had a booking system and it was great. Also the comps were on Sat & Sunday. As I can only play on Sunday mornings this works very well for me.

Earlier this week, I moved to Merrist Wood (Dufferman's club). Called the pro shop to book Sunday or get on the starter sheet for the monthly medal. As i found out, MW does a rock up and play system and also most comps are on Saturday. It will be my first experience this sunday of rocking up and must say i m very sceptic. I am hoping to be proven wrong. Otherwise Dufferman is getting a quick memo for his next committee meeting.. :)

D

Deleted Member 1156

In a private club, why would they want to maximise the number of golfers on the course? They are not money making operations, they are facilities there for the benefit of the members.

The ideal situation in a private club is to have light usage of the course so it can be maintained in peak condition. Think Augusta, Queenwood, Swinley Forest

Montezuma

Hacker
Visit site
Thanks very much all for the warm welcome and the useful advice.

Homer - as you suggested - I've ended up with a tricky choice to make (nice problem to have I suppose!)

Golf was great - having headed out the house with the rain pouring down it brightened up by the 3rd hole and even caught some sunshine on the back nine. As expected, the Bucks course is lovely and in great nick (albeit yes not that much change in elevation as North Mimms noted) - nicer than the Burnham Beeches one (although that is also nice). Some really lovely water features make several holes pretty special. I spent far too much time in the numberous bunkers and the only improvement I could think of is that they could benefit from a bit more sand. Turns out they have roll-ups every saturday and sunday morning which would work great for me and I met a nice bunch of guys that I'd be happy to have as fellow members.

Going to have to mull it over and try and make a decision. Thanks again for all the advice.