Dando and Homer coaching today

Status
Not open for further replies.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Homer I have just watched you latest 9 hole course vlog and since I was one of the harshest critics, not of you but of your old swing, I think its only fair I give credit where credit is due.

Congratulations on your recent score of +8 and also knocking together a PB front 9 of +3 for the front 9 on camera. :thup: that is the kind of scores you are more than capable of on a regular basis.

Looking at your recent swing, it seems that you have stopped taking the club way outside on the way back. You are not aiming left with open shoulders like you were, the swing looks shorter (at least with the shorter clubs, driver still a tad long). You have stopped the wild OOT steep action which is much better.

You must be finding it so much easier to hit the ball in a controllable fashion which would have been so difficult before.

Whilst not being perfect (who is eh), it looks well on the way to getting back to that swing you had when on the cusp of single figures. I didn't ever see you chipping, but you documented it well on here that it was terrible back then. The pitching looks like you will give yourself a chance of getting up and down. Your putting does look good. Particularly holing out which is something you said you do practice regularly. I am mighty impressed by that.

I feel your pain (literally) with the back problems. Lets hope we can both get fit and stay fit. I see no reason why you can't get that handicap moving in the right direction by the time the qualifiers start up again. No doubt you will take a few quid off boys over the winter too before those cuts roll in.

Cheers. Really appreciate it. Frustrated that it's a bit stop start with the back (stop at moment) but feel I'm hitting it better. Was as surprised as anyone by the last two scores!

D

Deleted Member 1156

Homer, I have said it before and I'll say it again. If you are serious about getting your handicap down then you need to work on eliminating all the excess movement in your swing. You sway back and through and your height moves up and down. Until you get to a quieter, more balanced swing you will struggle to hit the ball consistently. Forget length of backswing etc, that is not the problem.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Homer, I have said it before and I'll say it again. If you are serious about getting your handicap down then you need to work on eliminating all the excess movement in your swing. You sway back and through and your height moves up and down. Until you get to a quieter, more balanced swing you will struggle to hit the ball consistently. Forget length of backswing etc, that is not the problem.
If you freeze the swing at 3/4 position it looks decent. No head movement up, decent turn, and a strong position to swing dwon from. From then on head comes up etc. I did say this years back and personally think Homer should work hard at reducing the swing length.

Could well also help with back problems, and I would definitely get rid of the posed follow through position. That would kill my back, and doesn't add to the shot. Having suffered with a bad back for some time, I get out of the follow through position asap. I would also be careful practicing too much, especially short game for too long. Putting and chipping leaning does not help some back problems.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Gordon is right, I'm obviously no pga pro but you quite clearly straighten up at the top of your swing. I don't know how that affects the clubhead on the way down but you are moving your centre so it must be changing something.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Unless its all edited out it looks like Homers dropped aimpoint too and regardless of opinion on that method (& even though there was a positive comment earlier) I think he putts like a 20+ player on that video
(I'm assuming that was his home course he was playing)

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Gordon is right, I'm obviously no pga pro but you quite clearly straighten up at the top of your swing. I don't know how that affects the clubhead on the way down but you are moving your centre so it must be changing something.

I noticed that too. Also, why would you record a playing video and clearly NOT do the swing that you had an extensive lesson from a top coach teach you?

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site

I'm probably as close as you can get to being a PGA Pro (without actually being certified) and I notice on the video taken directly behind, you can see the divot Homer is making is slightly inside where the actual ball was positioned.
This would lead me to believe that distance is being lost as the ball is leaving from the toe of the club, not the sweetspot.
Not good news for distance as I say. But good news for anybody looking to buy Homers clubs in a few months time.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

Spot on.
A while back in another thread I said I wouldn't worry about your backswing I'd rather focus on the impact position.
The above is what I was hinting at.

IMO, it would be very difficult to change the backswing and the downswing so I would focus on the downswing/impact.

Here are 2 stills of you Martin, address and just after impact.

Photo0.jpgsdgh4r.jpg

As you can see, a big change in posture.
That's what I would try and improve first.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm probably as close as you can get to being a PGA Pro (without actually being certified) and I notice on the video taken directly behind, you can see the divot Homer is making is slightly inside where the actual ball was positioned.
This would lead me to believe that distance is being lost as the ball is leaving from the toe of the club, not the sweetspot.
Not good news for distance as I say. But good news for anybody looking to buy Homers clubs in a few months time.
I’m also no PGA pro, but my concern is more apparel related. I’ve watched a few videos :eek: I don’t understand why homer can’t find a pair of trousers that fit him. They all seem to be an inch short. Can’t Mrs homer let the hems down??

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nice vid Martin. However, one thing I've noticed... you'd actually hit the ball further if you hit it with your backswing rather than your downswing.

That's £50 please....

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Also if i was gonna claim = best ever 9 to the world, then I'd probably need to add my penalty strokes & do a recount :D

Otherwise it was just a very satisfactory practice session

(not holing out and hitting flagstick from on the green, twice each! Norris McWhirter just called and he's not havin it!) :p

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nice vid Martin. However, one thing I've noticed... you'd actually hit the ball further if you hit it with your backswing rather than your downswing.

That's £50 please....

Know what you mean, just watched
Backswing must be 2-3 times the speed of the downswing
Almost like decelerating as he "stands up" through the swing

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Know what you mean, just watched
Backswing must be 2-3 times the speed of the downswing
Almost like decelerating as he "stands up" through the swing

Exactly.. He must be knackered by the time he gets the clubhead back to the ball..

Martin, in all seriousness, just slow the backswing to a touch below warp factor 9.9...

Danny - Not a PGA Pro, or even a particularly good golfer.. But, I did once shoot level par in a practice round so I reckon that qualifies me to give advice....

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Unless its all edited out it looks like Homers dropped aimpoint too and regardless of opinion on that method (& even though there was a positive comment earlier) I think he putts like a 20+ player on that video
(I'm assuming that was his home course he was playing)

Still using it but simply edited out to make the video flow a little better

Status
Not open for further replies.