Dando and Homer coaching today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I realise Martin opens himself up to all of this by posting videos on YouTube (albeit he didn’t post it on here), but even so, some of the comments on here are a little below the belt. Very easy to mock him when you’re not posting videos yourself. Play nicely.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Spot on.
A while back in another thread I said I wouldn't worry about your backswing I'd rather focus on the impact position.
The above is what I was hinting at.

IMO, it would be very difficult to change the backswing and the downswing so I would focus on the downswing/impact.

Here are 2 stills of you Martin, address and just after impact.

View attachment 23996

As you can see, a big change in posture.
That's what I would try and improve first.

that swing is 8 years old. up till a month ago he didnt swing anything like that. he had a huge outside takeway and massive ott action. he obviously could not control it and his game regressed from this swing.

why does he stand up? is that to create room that isnt there?

at least with this swing it looks like he could hit controlled pulls. looks more than capable of getting it round in the 70s like that.

theres untold amounts of people with funky actions that have single figures to their name. me for one lol

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think Homer has reached the age where he could get away with a flat cap. Keep the bonce nice and warm. :thup:

Yes but not the ears!!! I have one, I am in the bracket :eek: but they don’t keep your ears warm. We don’t all have the luxury of hair! I may have to look for a deerstalker with ear flaps ??

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
The rain was that heavy on the last three holes they probably shrunk as I played. You've made me all self conscious about my choice of attire for tomorrow now
Get yourself some Ricky Fowler skinny leg trousers and a ‘flat’ bill. You need to appeal to the younger demographic if you’re gonna go viral!!

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I agree with Canary Yellow says, it's far too easy to mock and criticise. Homer I applaud you for posting your swings and keep your chin up.

Regards the standing up that Bob refers to, is this not "early extention". The hips move forward towards the ball causing you to stand up. This is an area that I have been recently working on, and have found the link below extremely useful.

https://youtu.be/zUI_ckgBF_A

El Diablo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Homer - for future lessons are you going back to Paul Foston for a follow up lesson or shared your video for him to take a look or working with someone more local ?

Never mind the "expert" advice on here and the work you can do yourself a follow up would be useful to keep you on track.

Parky24

Medal Winner
Visit site
I suppose when you post links to youtube videos and give details of your lesson on public forum you invite comments/opinions from other forum members

D

Deleted Member 1156

Homer - for future lessons are you going back to Paul Foston for a follow up lesson or shared your video for him to take a look or working with someone more local ?

Never mind the "expert" advice on here and the work you can do yourself a follow up would be useful to keep you on track.

You don't need to be an 'expert' to spot the problem.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

The plan was to go back to Paul Foston in Kent in February/March. To be honest I feel a little lost at the moment. I seemed to have found something and was scoring well with what I had so how much do I really want to work on changing it completely? However the back has gone now and struggling. I do feel that I need to persevere with the shortening of the swing and the tempo but also feel there are bigger issues like the early extension. I do have a couple of lessons left with the local pro I use and the temptation would be to use him. However Paul gave me some fairly extensive but simple advice and I think I owe it to him and GM to at least try and work through it a bit longer. I just need to be able to swing pain free and start again almost

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
The plan was to go back to Paul Foston in Kent in February/March. To be honest I feel a little lost at the moment. I seemed to have found something and was scoring well with what I had so how much do I really want to work on changing it completely? However the back has gone now and struggling. I do feel that I need to persevere with the shortening of the swing and the tempo but also feel there are bigger issues like the early extension. I do have a couple of lessons left with the local pro I use and the temptation would be to use him. However Paul gave me some fairly extensive but simple advice and I think I owe it to him and GM to at least try and work through it a bit longer. I just need to be able to swing pain free and start again almost

To be honest Homer, one of Smiffy's favourite sayings is "even a blind squirrel finds a nut from time to time" and that's how your swing seems to me. I'm with the majority in that it looks ok going back and really poor down and could be contributing to the back issues. If i had the lesson from Paul Foston I'd stick exactly to his plan and you know, as well as I do, that he is right in what he's asking you to do and the long term benefits you'd gain from sticking with it.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
To be honest Homer, one of Smiffy's favourite sayings is "even a blind squirrel finds a nut from time to time" and that's how your swing seems to me. I'm with the majority in that it looks ok going back and really poor down and could be contributing to the back issues. If i had the lesson from Paul Foston I'd stick exactly to his plan and you know, as well as I do, that he is right in what he's asking you to do and the long term benefits you'd gain from sticking with it.

Exactly which is why I am resisting the lure of a local pro. I need a few weeks free if back pain, revisit the videos again and then go from there, To be honest the one thing Paul didn't seem to attack to much was shallowing the shaft. I knew before I started it would be a long haul and no quick fix especially with 30+ years of bad habits to break. I think getting the back right is the pressing aim and taking stock again on whether to see Paul earlier or not

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Exactly which is why I am resisting the lure of a local pro. I need a few weeks free if back pain, revisit the videos again and then go from there, To be honest the one thing Paul didn't seem to attack to much was shallowing the shaft. I knew before I started it would be a long haul and no quick fix especially with 30+ years of bad habits to break. I think getting the back right is the pressing aim and taking stock again on whether to see Paul earlier or not
Does your local pro realise his pension pot has evaporated? The new GM fella did he have you doing new stuff? Why didn’t the local fella, of which there are a few, spot the issues?

merv79

Head Pro
www.ferndowngolfclub.co.uk
I would suggest getting yourself a TPI screening and investing some time in addressing physical and movement issues that will be contributing to your back problems and swing faults.

i would say that it’s highly likely you are losing posture during your swing due to physical limitations and no matter how much money you spend and how many balls you hit, if your body is restricting a particular movement, then you are fighting a lost cause!

Status
Not open for further replies.