Dale Hill GC East Susex

Bermuda

Visit site
Are there any members of this club in here, I hope to be moving soon to a village that is 1 mile from this club, never been to it so wandered what people think of the place ???

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
Ticehurst or Wadhurst?

Ticehurst has one of the nicest pubs I've ever been too, The Bell, where I also had my wedding reception!

The golf club, I like it. I've played both courses a few times. The woosie is clearly the nicer course, although the old course also nice. It does have a bit of a corporate-hotel-y vibe though. Not sure how that would translate to a club atmosphere.

Playing there next Friday hopefully and looking forward to it.

arnieboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
As Hairball has said it is a bit corporate and can get very busy with societies. I too have played both courses and really enjoyed them. Be aware though that most courses in the area north of the Downs struggle in the really wet weather.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Plenty of good options in that area.

I was a member at Lamberhurst just up the road for a few years. It’s the opposite of Dale Hill basically, a members club, no tee bookings, hardly any societies, course to yourself on a Saturday afternoon.

The best course in the area I think though is Crowborough Beacon. Which depending on which village you’re in isn’t too far away. Although c.25 mins is perhaps too much if Dale Hill is on your doorstep. A friend of mine lives in Wadhurst and was a member at Dale Hill but decided in the end that Crowborough Beacon is worth the journey.

Nevill golf club is also not far away in Tunbridge Wells which is a good course.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I’ve played the old course at Dale Hill a few times and always enjoyed playing there and would go back anytime.

Just hope you don’t bump into the lady member who asked me to get off her fairway ?

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I was a member at Lamberhurst just up the road for a few years. It’s the opposite of Dale Hill basically, a members club, no tee bookings, hardly any societies, course to yourself on a Saturday afternoon.

The best course in the area I think though is Crowborough Beacon. Which depending on which village you’re in isn’t too far away. Although c.25 mins is perhaps too much if Dale Hill is on your doorstep. A friend of mine lives in Wadhurst and was a member at Dale Hill but decided in the end that Crowborough Beacon is worth the journey.

Nevill golf club is also not far away in Tunbridge Wells which is a good course.

Something else to consider is that Crowborough Beacon GC are offering a country membership if you are more than 15 miles away by road - full membership for £850 which is a real bargain.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Something else to consider is that Crowborough Beacon GC are offering a country membership if you are more than 15 miles away by road - full membership for £850 which is a real bargain.

I live in Tonbridge (more than 15 miles) it’s a very tempting deal.

Unfortunately I’m just a bit too time constrained due to a young family. Maybe in a couple of years though....

Bermuda

Visit site

This is my conundrum, I love the Neville, all I hear is great things about Crowborough but Dale Hill will be next door, no offence but I wet to Lamberhurst recently and it was like a scene from Dads Army, Crowborough Beacon could be the answer, thank you for your reply.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is my conundrum, I love the Neville, all I hear is great things about Crowborough but Dale Hill will be next door, no offence but I wet to Lamberhurst recently and it was like a scene from Dads Army, Crowborough Beacon could be the answer, thank you for your reply.

Haha! Yes, a fair description of Lamberhurst.

I joined there because I had a group of mates that were members and it was great because of that. Not sure it would be a great experience joining if you didn’t know anyone. I was mid 20s when I signed up and there weren’t many others from a similar demographic. Also there weren’t really any swindles so it’s hard to get into a group to play

Personally, I wouldn’t want to be a member of a resort type place so would go for the Nevill or crowborough, but I get the temptation with dale hill on your doorstep.

Thinking again, it would be the Nevill for me - I know a few members there and they’re all good guys. Crowborough beacon is the better course though.

Bermuda

Visit site
I am going to play Dale Hill and Crowborough as I have played the Neville and then make a,decision, thanks for your advice

gopher99

Visit site
Probably a little far for you, have you thought about Nizels. Course is good, gets a little boggy in the winter. And you also have the the gym and pool onsite.

Bermuda

Visit site
Probably a little far for you, have you thought about Nizels. Course is good, gets a little boggy in the winter. And you also have the the gym and pool onsite.

I think you description of Nizels is fair, it's very close to where I love now and we are hoping to move 20 miles out, I was a member in the late 90's, simply too far for me given the choice around where we hope to go

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I played at Nizels last night as it happens. The course is ok, but it’s nowhere near as good as Crowborough or Nevill in my opinion.

Nizels is only worth it if you want the gym and pool as well, otherwise at £2k per year it’s very expensive. Also, describing it as a little boggy in winter is something of an understatement.....it was closed for about 4 months last winter!

Dale Hill over Nizels all day long if you live right by Dale Hill.

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
The problem with the proprietary golf course / leisure centre (gym, pool, spa) places is that the golf courses can become second best in terms of investment and maintenance. For example, new equipment appears in the gym but little work is done to tee’s and bunkers.
These clubs make very good business models as the gyms and pools can generate cash and remain open all year round. There are quite a few of them down here in Sussex, but none are mentioned as really good golf courses or clubs.
Be interested to know if Dale Hill fairways have recovered from last year when they were in a terrible state.