Daily Mail Shocker

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We do live in interesting times. Recent events on both sides of the pond have given a legitimacy to the values expressed by The Daily Mail. And those of us who do not subscribe to it's values are labeled as the out of touch liberal elite.

Most people know my views on the paper and that will probably not change, no matter how out of touch I am. I personally am a heartened to see the campaign against hate journalism and total respect to lego, but again wonder how much credence and traction it will gain in the current political climate. It's a bit like the old put down of 'Tory' when anyone says anything slightly right wing has been replaced by the claim of 'liberal elite' when you do not subscribe to The Daily Mail, both figuratively and literally.
Those who read the Mail / Express are now termed as far right, which is just plainly ridiculous. Those who read the Guardian are termed as "liberal elite, far left or commies" Also plainly ridiculous.
I remain amazed at the amount of importance given to what the papers print, even in these days when they sell a fraction of the copies they used to. The TV news channels have replaced them and yet even they have nightly programs to discuss what the papers are printing.
I think there needs to be some calmer logic and language applied to our reaction to newspapers. They are, after all trying to sell papers. That's not going to happen without some dramatic licence. An anti MASS immigration standpoint is not hate journalism. Brexit is not naziism. Corbyn is not Stalin.

CheltenhamHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Genuine question, why do people do that.....? Change the letters around of the Guardian. I don`t get it.:confused:
When did it start and by whom?

The Grauniad is a nickname for the UK national newspaper, the Guardian, because of a now ill-founded reputation for typos. The name was given to it by the satirical magazine Private Eye.4 Apr 2012

[h=3]Friday Funny – Best Grauniad typo ever | Watts Up With That?[/h]https://wattsupwiththat.com/2014/12/12/friday-funny-best-grauniad-typo-ever/

user2010

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I suggest that the gospel according to the Grauniad is rather less inflammatory than that of the DM.
So what would you like to happen to these DM readers then. Electric shock treatment, Waterboarding, Guantanamo? Should they be allowed to read their choice of news paper without being pigeon holed as mindless morons or should the Elite try to save their souls from being cast into the fiery pit of damnation through public burning.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
So what would you like to happen to these DM readers then. Electric shock treatment, Waterboarding, Guantanamo? Should they be allowed to read their choice of news paper without being pigeon holed as mindless morons or should the Elite try to save their souls from being cast into the fiery pit of damnation through public burning.

I pray forgiveness for them for they know not what they do...;)

No-one is saying any DM reader is a mindless moron - just hope that they realise that a load of what they read is a load of exaggerated tosh. You question criticism of the DM here as if we few on this board doing so are the only souls doing so, when I think you might agree that views expressed here about the DM and a lot of what it prints are rather widely held. Or have you not noticed that...

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I pray forgiveness for them for they know not what they do...;)

No-one is saying any DM reader is a mindless moron - just hope that they realise that a load of what they read is a load of exaggerated tosh. You question criticism of the DM here as if we few on this board doing so are the only souls doing so, when I think you might agree that views expressed here about the DM and a lot of what it prints are rather widely held. Or have you not noticed that...
You have a rather grand opinion of the Yogurt knitting fraternity on this board if you believe we consider you as the ONLY ones demonizing the DM. Unlike many of the quasi objectors here I don't happen to read the DM but I am sure parts of it would be quite interesting and a good read, just like most news papers. I normally read the Times or Telegraph which can have some very good and very poor editorials but never life changing.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

I just wish they would get out and about and mix a bit more.
You know, open their horizons.
The Con Club, British Legion and old folks home do seem to attract folk who are 'like us'.;)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
You have a rather grand opinion of the Yogurt knitting fraternity on this board if you believe we consider you as the ONLY ones demonizing the DM. Unlike many of the quasi objectors here I don't happen to read the DM but I am sure parts of it would be quite interesting and a good read, just like most news papers. I normally read the Times or Telegraph which can have some very good and very poor editorials but never life changing.

Well what some of us say prompts reactions that seem to suggest that no-one else says it, or it's at best a minority view, and that we are ploughing a lonely furrow. I am glad to learn that I am not quite such a loony radical as I was starting to believe.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well what some of us say prompts reactions that seem to suggest that no-one else says it, or it's at best a minority view, and that we are ploughing a lonely furrow. I am glad to learn that I am not quite such a loony radical as I was starting to believe.
No, you are a loony radical. Just because a few others may agree with you doesn't change that.:rofl:

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Today's DM is going on about what a cushy life prisoners in our jails have. Still don't fancy becoming an inmate though!

The other extreme right wing rag, the Daily Express, is claiming that 75% of the population are in favour of a hard Brexit! Maybe 75% of their thick brainwashed readers perhaps, but they only represent a small minority of the total UK population! :rofl:

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
Today's DM is going on about what a cushy life prisoners in our jails have. Still don't fancy becoming an inmate though!

The other extreme right wing rag, the Daily Express, is claiming that 75% of the population are in favour of a hard Brexit! Maybe 75% of their thick brainwashed readers perhaps, but they only represent a small minority of the total UK population! :rofl:

A lady we know that served in our armed forces became a social worker on leaving... Part of her duties was an occasional prison visit... She noted the conditions were often better, in the prisons, than the ones she was provided whilst serving her nation... That can't be right... can it?

D

Deleted member 15344

A lady we know that served in our armed forces became a social worker on leaving... Part of her duties was an occasional prison visit... She noted the conditions were often better, in the prisons, than the ones she was provided whilst serving her nation... That can't be right... can it?

Can confirm that a lot of prisons are better than a lot of the barracks that military guys have to live in.