Daily Mail Shocker

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Tbh Doon, when I read the original article I thought it was a load of rubbish. I've been signing staff expenses for donkeys years. X many weeks hotels or apartments plus meals and travelling... I couldn't see much wrong with the spending, and it was obviously a dig at a party that doesn't fit the Mail's political bias.

There's the rub!

The objection I have/had is the difference in prominence between the 'lie' and the correction - because the 'lie' will be remembered much longer than the correction - if that is even noticed! The suggestion/demand that the correction takes up the same position and amount of room as the original 'lie' has a lot of merit imo!

I'd sooner read News and form an opinion than read an opinion formed as News!

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
There's the rub!

The objection I have/had is the difference in prominence between the 'lie' and the correction - because the 'lie' will be remembered much longer than the correction - if that is even noticed! The suggestion/demand that the correction takes up the same position and amount of room as the original 'lie' has a lot of merit imo!

I'd sooner read News and form an opinion than read an opinion formed as News!

Totally agree. For fairness, and to encourage self-policing, I'd like to see a rule that stipulates equal column inches for corrections and also on the same page as the original article.

Imagine a front page headline, "Daily Mail wishes to issue a correction and apology." I'm sure accurate reporting would break out all over the place.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Imagine a front page headline, "Daily Mail wishes to issue a correction and apology." I'm sure accurate reporting would break out all over the place.

We'd get used to seeing it after a while! :whistle:

I'm not sure about 'accurate' reporting! Maybe just less inaccurate reporting - which would still be an improvement! Of course, in order to do either, the Press Complaints Commission needs to start being rather more severe on its funders!

Also bear in mind that the DM (as with others) is not so much a News paper as an Opinion one! It's actually being quite faithful to the roots of newspapers. So while there's much to criticise about the DM, that's not actually one!

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
Totally agree. For fairness, and to encourage self-policing, I'd like to see a rule that stipulates equal column inches for corrections and also on the same page as the original article.

Unfortunately, as noted amongst the comments in Doon's link, there's not a lot of public interest in this... A UK/gov petition last year generated less than 18K signatories...

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Unfortunately, as noted amongst the comments in Doon's link, there's not a lot of public interest in this... A UK/gov petition last year generated less than 18K signatories...

Apathy doesn't mean it shouldn't happen!

And maybe it's not apathy either. Maybe there's more demand to have our own biases/opinions confirmed - even if using faulty info!

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don't ever read it and in all honesty I wouldn't even rip it up into squares to put on a nail in the smallest room.

Nevertheless I'm prepared to bet there's an article in there today about Eastern European Dole Scroungers drowning lovely little kittens just for the fun of it.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Don't ever read it and in all honesty I wouldn't even rip it up into squares to put on a nail in the smallest room.

Nevertheless I'm prepared to bet there's an article in there today about Eastern European Dole Scroungers drowning lovely little kittens just for the fun of it.

So you do read it! Yesterday it was puppies...

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

I've argued this for years. Hiding an apology on p14, column 6, 1" is no punishment and has no impact for the person or people affected by the original splash.

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
So you do read it! Yesterday it was puppies...

Never saw that but I don't doubt for one moment that it was most likely there.

i am saddened to say that when our roll up goes away for a few days a high proportion of them "take" the complimentary Fail.

When asked upon checking in my request for The Beano is invariably met with a perplexed stare and nervous giggle.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
Apathy doesn't mean it shouldn't happen!

Couldn't agree more but that's not how it works...

And maybe it's not apathy either. Maybe there's more demand to have our own biases/opinions confirmed - even if using faulty info!

Well, perhaps that explains Doon's constant reliance on Wings and Hacker's love affair with Mash...

Folk buy papers to be entertained these days... You can get the news from the Beeb or Sky...

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If you look at the second story on the wings link [#130]you will spot what happens when papers print outright lies.
News from Sky and BBC without them pumping their own agenda.....no thanks.