Cyprus Showdown - yes or no?

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Given the time constraints these days, maybe it should just be 9 holes. Or even 6. Ties decided by nearest the pin shootout.
Hey. Bear me out.
The fedex final is rubbish atm. 32 players seeded and for most of the 4 days only a couple can win. The rest are just collecting cheques.
Have it 'net" for the first 2 days, then cut to 16, then 8 resetting every time.
Actually, maybe best to go 64 then 32/16. Whatever. It's not a major and it's just about the cash, so anything to make it more interesting.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Very sad.
Great bunker shot from macintyre. I'd quite like to see him win. Not sure why, as obviously I don't know him from Adam

He seems to be a really nice guy. Marshalled for him once at Walton Heath in the US Open qualifying. Obviously you're not chatting with them but he was polite in what little conversation there was and was not up his own backside, unlike some I've marshalled for.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Did you catch the bit yesterday with one of the pros in the box with him? Pro didn't realise what they said about them, it was hilarious.
Nope. Missed it. Once listened to a podcast with him and Mike Clayton talking about playing the tour back in the day. Very enjoyable, I don't think many of that generation would swap places for now (except the cash of course).

U

User62651

Hopefully macintyre kicks on, now that he's got the win tucked away.
Quite a big deal up here in his home town. ? Seems to have a really solid short game with a relaxed frame of mind - good combo for success.
How he competes with the power guys like Bryson DC, not sure.

D

Deleted member 15344

Would be interesting to see what the accumulated scores are for the 16 players that went through and if the winner would have been the same.

Quick check and the winner had 20 under - Vermaan was 22 under

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Would be interesting to see what the accumulated scores are for the 16 players that went through and if the winner would have been the same.

Quick check and the winner had 20 under - Vermaan was 22 under
I wonder how the owgr treats the result.
For the fedex, i believe they recognised the gross rather than net scores.

Grizzly

Visit site
In general I'm in favour of anything that breaks up the monotony of 72 hole strokeplay events as being good for the game. I'd like to see more matchplay and team events, pairs, and the like.

I also like the idea of an alternate format for the Tour Championships. How about four rounds and 48 players:
Day One: Numbers 24-28 go out to play for 12 spots on Day Two.
Day Two: Numbers 13-23 join in to play for 12 spots for the weekend.
Day Three: The Top 12 and the 12 survivors play a 36 hole strokeplay

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
In general I'm in favour of anything that breaks up the monotony of 72 hole strokeplay events as being good for the game. I'd like to see more matchplay and team events, pairs, and the like.

I also like the idea of an alternate format for the Tour Championships. How about four rounds and 48 players:
Day One: Numbers 24-28 go out to play for 12 spots on Day Two.
Day Two: Numbers 13-23 join in to play for 12 spots for the weekend.
Day Three: The Top 12 and the 12 survivors play a 36 hole strokeplay

so you want the top 12 players only to play 36 holes at the tour championships? cant see that appealing to the tv companies, sponsors or fans tbh

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
so you want the top 12 players only to play 36 holes at the tour championships? cant see that appealing to the tv companies, sponsors or fans tbh
Tbh, there was only really one player going to win it this year on the last day. The year before was definitely nowhere near 12. That's why we have to watch all those shots of tiger when he's 10 off the pace.
The match play is shocking when there's only 4 players left, but there's enough going on with 16 to fill all the time efficiently.
I hasten to add, this is just spitballing - I care very little about the fedex!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Tbh, there was only really one player going to win it this year on the last day. The year before was definitely nowhere near 12. That's why we have to watch all those shots of tiger when he's 10 off the pace.
The match play is shocking when there's only 4 players left, but there's enough going on with 16 to fill all the time efficiently.
I hasten to add, this is just spitballing - I care very little about the fedex!

lol we watch shots of Tiger because thats what the sponsors pay the big bucks for, not because theres only a few who can win it?

and surely as a season climax it should only be a few who can win it after a long season? why do people want a 1 round shoot out with loads in with a chance, just further dumbing down of sport into shorter and shorter passages (see T20 cricket lol)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I enjoyed it. I wouldn't want more than one of these formats in a season but for all that it was good viewing. Well done to the winner and hopefully he'll kick on. I love Johnstone commentating especially when the tour reaches South Africa and a cameraman pans to the wildlife and someone asks him about the animal. Always has an answer and a very dry sense of humour and needs to be on more Sky coverage (especially instead of Roe)

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
Big fan tbh enjoyed the whole weekend, made it exciting which most weeks these little tournies aren't so big thumbs up to the tour for the change. I see the top 65 still got paid per placing so nobody lost out on the cut money.

sunshine

Visit site
Tennis ain't like Golf....
In Golf you can cruise the last round and still win if you're far enough ahead after 3...unless your score has been cancelled out..

You are confusing golf with a standard 72 hole stroke play. There is more than one format to golf. Really strange that some people couldn't understand the concept. Finish in the top 32 and you're through to the next round. Thu and Fri were the heats, Sat the semi and Sun the final. Bit like athletics at the Olympics, the leaders go through to the next round, whether that's the fastest runners or the longest jumps etc. You don't get a gold medal for breaking the 100M world record in your heat, you have to win the final.

I thought the tournament was a good idea. Definitely makes sense to mix up the formats a bit.