Cyprus Showdown - yes or no?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Someone on Twitter has suggested this which might be interesting...

'Added dimension in Cyprus this week, give players the option to declare each day... get to -3 through 4, declare and take the gamble it’s enough to progress..'

any truth on sunday there will be an alligator jaw on 17 and a windmill on 18?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Does Federer get a head start in the next round of a tennis tournament if he beats his opponent in straight sets vs someone who comes through on a tie break in a tight match? No of course not.

If you want to win you need to play well in all of the rounds not just relax on a good first couple of rounds and then cruise home.
Tennis ain't like Golf....
In Golf you can cruise the last round and still win if you're far enough ahead after 3...unless your score has been cancelled out..

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Will be interesting once we get to the last 32 and then down again. Good to at least try something different and why not at this time of the year with a lot of the best ET players preparing for the Masters

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
All its done is ensure they have almost no viewers until the final day, if any bother to turn on then having not been grabbed by it to that point

Would love to know skys viewing stats by day compared to the previous weeks comp

D

Deleted member 15344

It’s the European Tour once again trying these gimmicks - I’m not sure what they are trying to gain from these ideas but they just don’t work.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It’s the European Tour once again trying these gimmicks - I’m not sure what they are trying to gain from these ideas but they just don’t work.

the funny thing is, the ones that are ok they just bin off the same way they do the ones that are horrendous, its as if they know they dont work before they try them ;)

at least the brainstorming group in marketing still have jobs though :)

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Someone on Twitter has suggested this which might be interesting...

'Added dimension in Cyprus this week, give players the option to declare each day... get to -3 through 4, declare and take the gamble it’s enough to progress..'
I would like to declare sometimes. The 13th green is the closest to the car park, apart from 18 of course. And I dislike 14 and 15 on our course. Nothing good ever comes after 13 ;-(

I like that they give it a go. If it doesn't work at least they shut up the 'what if' crowd for that idea. You don't know if it doesn't work for sure until you tried it.

D

Deleted member 15344

the funny thing is, the ones that are ok they just bin off the same way they do the ones that are horrendous, its as if they know they dont work before they try them ;)

at least the brainstorming group in marketing still have jobs though :)
They are desperate to find the Golf version of T20.

Matchplay is one of most exciting formats especially the team ones

The world matchplay used to be very good , need to bring in more of it

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
They are desperate to find the Golf version of T20.

Matchplay is one of most exciting formats especially the team ones

The world matchplay used to be very good , need to bring in more of it

they can have T20 and give us cricket back please :) T20 old news once the new amazing understandable Undred starts ;)

as you say, matchplay in various guises surely the way to go IF they can attract the bigger names

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Age old problem with matchplay is the risk of the big names going out early and taking viewers with them...

some of the big names do that themselves in the strokeplay comps too ;)

not sure most of the recent European tour events have many crowd drawing big names to lose do they?

Imurg

Visit site
some of the big names do that themselves in the strokeplay comps too ;)

not sure most of the recent European tour events have many crowd drawing big names to lose do they?
The odd one here and there.....not sure there's enough appetite for matchplay on the tour over and above what they have...which ain't much

Imurg

Visit site
Id like to bet theres more appetite for a matchplay comp than the current weeks format :)
Not necessarily...if someone can get themselves into the last 16 they have a pretty equal chance of winning and getting an exemption rather than having to shoot the lights out and everyone else messes up.
It's not a sustainable format for me though.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not necessarily...if someone can get themselves into the last 16 they have a pretty equal chance of winning and getting an exemption rather than having to shoot the lights out and everyone else messes up.

So not about finding the best golfer over the 4 days, yup thats why I dont like it :)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

As I said great for the pros trying to keep their card without the top names and a chance for someone to get an exemption. I agree it isn't a sustainable format.