Cyprus Showdown - yes or no?

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
I've played their a few times, parents used to live down the road. Nice course, really enjoyed it. Only negative was playing in Mid August, very very hot

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Bit harsh on the guy that shoots 62,62,62,72....8 shot lead going into the final round. Or not.
A bit of a gimmick really, just like the night golf in Dubai...

That sort of thing happens all the time, though. Football teams win early rounds of the Cup 3 or 4-0, then come up against a team who has just squeaked through with several extra times or penalties, and lose.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
That sort of thing happens all the time, though. Football teams win early rounds of the Cup 3 or 4-0, then come up against a team who has just squeaked through with several extra times or penalties, and lose.
But each match is an individual match, albeit you need to win them all to win the Cup.
You don't need to "win" each round of a golf tournament to win the whole thing - in fact you don't need to win any of them.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
But each match is an individual match, albeit you need to win them all to win the Cup.
You don't need to "win" each round of a golf tournament to win the whole thing - in fact you don't need to win any of them.

I know, and the format of this event is to break it up into a short series of mini-events with a restart for each.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
I don't mind it for a change. As you watch days 2 and 3, there may be an odd bit of excitement as to whether a player makes a shot which will get him through.
Normal play, that happens only day 2. Then next "deadline" is , who wins.?
And in some cases, on day 4 it's known who will will before the round starts.
As in Tigers heyday.

NearHull

Visit site
Well, I feel as if I am in the minority on here, but I’ve enjoyed the format so far. Instead of concentrating entirely on the leaders, there has been good coverage of the players close to the projected cut line. The format is changing the player‘s risk attitudes and having a risk/reward par 5 to finish is great planning or good happenchance. I do think tomorrow’s closing holes are going to be the highlights. Then on to Sunday , “16 man play off”.

I generally have a golf bet most weekends and this week ‘s format has “refreshed” my attention.

I did play the course in 2004, buildings were only just started. Memorable holes were the 3rd - but the daily tees were the easy side of the ravine, and of course the 7th. Strongest memory was that the buggies were an absolute must and the steepness of the cart paths down the ravines put your heart in your mouth.

D

Deleted member 1147

I think it’s an interesting idea.
Means that someone who starts well has to keep going, and slow starters won’t be in with a chance.

It should encourage consistent good scoring.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Just a shame that Mark Roe is commentating; his description of the scenario on 18 was priceless. Bland was on 3 under and would make the cut with a par, but apparently if he had holed his birdie putt, all those on 3 under, including "Bland himself" would have been out. I had to rewind it to check I'd heard it correctly.

Yes Mark, but if he'd holed the birdie putt he'd have gone to 4 under, wouldn't he; how could he knock himself out you prize plum?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Just a shame that Mark Roe is commentating; his description of the scenario on 18 was priceless. Bland was on 3 under and would make the cut with a par, but apparently if he had holed his birdie putt, all those on 3 under, including "Bland himself" would have been out. I had to rewind it to check I'd heard it correctly.

Yes Mark, but if he'd holed the birdie putt he'd have gone to 4 under, wouldn't he; how could he knock himself out you prize plum?

Mark Roe and commentating. You could have simply left it there. Not up to it

Boomy

Visit site
Yeah, really enjoying it. Great that they are trying something new and it has certainly added a bit of excitement as players were scrambling for the cut. No doubt the ‘no no everything should be left as it is brigade’ will object but personally I think it’s good to try new formats. The only thing that has spoiled it is Callum Shinkwin’s personal behaviour!

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
yeah buiding up to a good finish, even with the short delay. Kawamura has a swing all his own.
Perfect week to try something new as all the big guns are elsewhere

Last edited:

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
yeah buiding up to a good finish, even with the short delay. Kawamura has a swing all his own
I think some people were suggesting this type of format for the fedex instead of it being the 'net' championship. If you're gong to have a small number of players on the last day, this is definitely the way to make it interesting.