Custom Fit Query Flat 2 Degree

TriggerTech

Head Pro
Visit site
Afternoon all, quick one really.

Had a custom fit earlier in the week. (Will reveal specifics later, as will be going back!)

Was asked what my worst shot type was.
I advised that sometimes I get a fade / slice.

At set up, the guy asked me why I was lifting the toe of the service, and I advised this is how I have been taught to set up (No issues previously)
He advised that due to the fade /slice issue and the toe set up that I should have the head flattened by 2 degress -in order to hit the ball square.

Went straight down the range tested out the new bats, anyway cannot say how bad the results were, massive slice, no trajectory etc.
Tested my old clubs as suspected maybe because I have hit >200 balls today and the issue maybe me, however the results were significantly better.

Spoke to a couple of Pros and my home range, who advised if I already had a slice, the worst thing to do would be to flatten the head as this would increase likihood of further slice.

Firstly would you advise this is the case?

Secondly, the toe lifted slightly at address, is this correct?

Any comment welcomed.

Cheers in advance

A

Alex1975

At my fitting last week we saw a very small lift of the toe and looked at going 1/2* flat but when we looked back at my video we saw that I just needed to stick my ass out a little more so left it standard. The fitter did say to me that some air under the toe is correct.

2* seems alot to me, though I am not a club fitter.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Flattening the lie opens the face, making it more upright closes it. Nothing to do with ground contact, as people often think, but a matter of simple physics.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
If you lift the toe up on a club the face will be pointing more LEFT... if you are hitting a club that is pointing more left what are you (consciously or not) going to try and do?... cut across it to impart some spin that will stop the ball going too far left.

Flattening it would be the right thing to do... everything else is about swingpath and that's down to you.

Would I bother for 2° if I had a h/cap in double figures and would be unlikely to have a swing that could I could call 'remotely repetitive'? No.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
TT, did your fitter test you hitting balls off a hard flat plastic board with tape on the sole of the club?

The toe of the club SHOULD sit off the ground at address if you want it flat at impact

TriggerTech

Head Pro
Visit site
Bob,

as well as the simulator, we also hit a few as you state and found the mark closer to the heel.(This was with a standard fit) Was then told that 2 deg flat would bring the contact back into the middle of the sole.
Never been custom fitted before, so bear with me!
Thanks

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Bob,

as well as the simulator, we also hit a few as you state and found the mark closer to the heel.(This was with a standard fit) Was then told that 2 deg flat would bring the contact back into the middle of the sole.
Never been custom fitted before, so bear with me!
Thanks

If you were hitting the board with the marks in the middle, then the set up is correct.
If however you go out and hit it differently off the grass, then you would need that checked too.

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
Tt, I lift the toe of my club at address but it comes through square at impact it is just the way I swing. Been fit twice 2 deg up but you need to check the standard lie of the clubs as not all clubs are the same.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I have just been custom fit for Titleist and came out 2 degrees flat, wheras Mizuno said I was 2 degrees up. Some one (sorry cant remember who) pointed out that Mizuno and Titleist are 1.75 degrees different on their standard set up! So somewhere the custom fit was wrong.

I had a tendancy to do the odd big pull hook with my TM's, but with the new clubs I havn't managed to hit a ball that has gone remotely left, although I havn't hit off grass yet. It also could be that I have stiffer shafts in the new clubs (Project x 5.5's)but I believe that the Titleist guy got the lies right and the Mizuno one didn't. The mizuno fitters also said that I had long arms and was going to give me 1/4" longer shafts - work that one out!

Chris

TriggerTech

Head Pro
Visit site
Just got back had them changed back to neutral for now.

Flight was curling right, but not as much as yesterday, so other factors, fatigue, new club syndrome etc could have set in -will go back if nessecary in a month after had time to use them.
Also as an added bonus they allowed me to trade the 3 iron for cost price on a set of Addidas Powerband 3.0 shoes, which Im very happy with.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Call me a cynic if you wish (OK Don't all shout at once :eek:) but isn't this all part of the "make you feel good about the buying of our clubs" ploy?

At your course, how often do you play off a dead level lie? Would you even notice when you set up for a shot thinking that the lie was relatively flat whether the ball was a 1/2" above/below your feet? I don't think I would.

That 1/2" probably equates to about 1 - 2 degrees up or flat on the club - obviously dependant on how lofted the club is.

So, to put it in perspective, in very rough figures the difference between the ball being 1" below and 1" above your feet could be 4 - 8 degrees of required lie angle on the club - and some of you are worried about 1 or 2 degrees?

Are more fairways sloping left to right or vica versa? If so, should you factor this into your choice of lie angle?

Walks off into the distance, hands stuffed far down into his pockets while quietly whistling a happy tune....

:p :p

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Call me a cynic if you wish (OK Don't all shout at once :eek:) but isn't this all part of the "make you feel good about the buying of our clubs" ploy?

At your course, how often do you play off a dead level lie? Would you even notice when you set up for a shot thinking that the lie was relatively flat whether the ball was a 1/2" above/below your feet? I don't think I would.

That 1/2" probably equates to about 1 - 2 degrees up or flat on the club - obviously dependant on how lofted the club is.

So, to put it in perspective, in very rough figures the difference between the ball being 1" below and 1" above your feet could be 4 - 8 degrees of required lie angle on the club - and some of you are worried about 1 or 2 degrees?

Are more fairways sloping left to right or vica versa? If so, should you factor this into your choice of lie angle?

Walks off into the distance, hands stuffed far down into his pockets while quietly whistling a happy tune....

You are a cynic, but your point also makes no sense.

Sidehill lies nicely illustrate the effects of flat/upright lies and the need for a proper fit, although it is possible to compensate for sidehill lies by going down the shaft or aiming to allow for the shape.

Your point seems to be that because you will have some sidehill lies which affect flight in a round, you should therefore accept all lies being possibly off due to having the wrong club lie, and compensate on all shots?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm with Ethan on this one

If you dont start somewhere with your gear setup being correct anything that changes it could be making it much worse rather than worse (if you get my point). If I stand on a flat fairway and my club is perfect for me and I hit it correctly, it will send the ball where I intend, after that, everything becomes an adjustment.

Chris

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site

You are a cynic, but your point also makes no sense.

Sidehill lies nicely illustrate the effects of flat/upright lies and the need for a proper fit, although it is possible to compensate for sidehill lies by going down the shaft or aiming to allow for the shape.

Your point seems to be that because you will have some sidehill lies which affect flight in a round, you should therefore accept all lies being possibly off due to having the wrong club lie, and compensate on all shots?

Oh dear, oh dear!!

:D :D :D