Custom Fit finally - Orka or something else

tigerwes

Hacker
Visit site
I posted a Similar thread a while ago but with lockdown and spending the money elsewhere it didn't happen.

I've got 2 options get fitted for a set of Orka's, though this would be at a local fitter (northwest) maybe Southport Leisure Lakes. My slight issue with that without being a bit of a snob, if the fitter was that good would he be working at Leisure Lakes? Though they have got a new GC quad launch monitor, so they must be doing ok.

Or go to the new Scottsdale fitting where I would have more options on clubs. The new fitting centre they have looks good and they build the club's while you wait. But to be honest that just a bonus.

I have maybe £1k to spend and don't really want strong lofts, hitting a 7iron 200yrds doesn't interest me, I want more accuracy.

What would you do? Has anyone had Orka fittings, but not from Alex. I think he sells the brand very well, but what sort of fitting do you get elsewhere.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't know the places, but I would not wish to be limited to one brand, so I would probably go to some place with a range of kit. Not AG, obviously, a professional fitter. If you are ever down in the London area, there are a few good places around here that will look after you.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
They have a new fitting centre that looks good. They build the clubs straight after the fitting while you watch with a pint.
I'm not sure whether I'd be a fan of this! I'd sooner they took their time, got things perfect and let the epoxy cure properly. Then return in a few days and try them out.
But I'd certainly prefer a range of brands and heads than a single brand. However, if you have your mind set on a particular brand, that's fine too. I'd certainly want to be assured that shafts were 'matched' for flex too - which could be don 'while you wait.

tigerwes

Hacker
Visit site
The fitting for the Orka would be £20 taken off any purchase.

The Scottsdale fitting is £100 plus cost of clubs.

With the Orka you also get a free gapping session afterwards, I'm not sure of the cost of this at Scottsdale.

tigerwes

Hacker
Visit site
I think I'm swaying towards Scottsdale, if the club's ended up too expensive. I could always put some of it on credit.

My main issue with buying my new clubs is not wanting strong lofts, but is that really an issue? If my 7 iron ends up with 30° loft, then it's really a 6 iron with a shorter shaft.

tigerwes

Hacker
Visit site
I've decided to try book a fitting with Southport for the Orka's. The fitting fee isn't much and gets knocked of the price of the club's. If the numbers are ok and I like the clubs then I go with them.

If not I can pay the fitting fee and go to Scottsdale's. The fitting fee here is £100 plus the cost of the club's.

Getting Orka's could save me a few hundred££. Enough for some new wedges!

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've decided to try book a fitting with Southport for the Orka's. The fitting fee isn't much and gets knocked of the price of the club's. If the numbers are ok and I like the clubs then I go with them.

If not I can pay the fitting fee and go to Scottsdale's. The fitting fee here is £100 plus the cost of the club's.

Go and enjoy the experience! Let us know what you end up with!

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
tbf, if it's only going to cost £20 to be fitted for Orka clubs and you decide you don't like what is on offer it's not a big loss.

As I understand it, all Orka fitters have been personally vetted by Alex, so you should receive a fitting not too far away from what you would get from the man himself

Skypilot

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Until you come to sell them.
I looked at this route but was warned off by several golfing buddies
Orka clubs fetch practically nothing when you come to sell them.
May not matter to you though, just saying.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

but if they are built well, and you hit them really good….why would you swap?

tigerwes

Hacker
Visit site
That's shouldn't be an issue. These should last me 10 years.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
When are you booked in?

Let us know how you get on (y)

tigerwes

Hacker
Visit site
Just got back from the fitting at Southport Golf Academy. James was the fitter and to be fair he was superb, but my swing wasn't!

I'm not interested in hitting the club's any further, but at the same time don't really want to hit them any less! If I end up hitting a 6iron when I would be hitting a 7 then it becomes a harder shot just with the change of number at the bottom of the club ?. What I want is more consistency.

Tried a couple of different heads and found the RS10MB was the best with a similar shaft to the one I have now. I was getting all the numbers, spin, peak hight, launch angle, but it was around half to a club shorter. But my current 7iron is 31° and the Orka is 36°, so its always gonna be hard to get the same distance. The clubs look good and feel good but because I was swinging poorly I never felt totally sold on them. James was very good though and never tried to push me for a sale and was the complete opposite really. He's said I could go back and try them again on the range with the launch monitor if I like at no extra cost. I think I will take him up on this.

My dilemma is that I also have a fitting booked at Scottsdale which will cost £100. I'm sure the fitting would be great and I would be able to try a wide range of clubs, but if the swing is the same Im not gonna get fitted very well and that money will be wasted. I also don't think I would get anywhere near the after sale service from Scottsdale as I would from James.

All in all I'm more confused than I was before, but I would highly recommend James at Southport Golf Academy.