Curing an early extension? Ache's?

DaveyG

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Worked hard on the range yesterday as I think early extension has led to my poor shots and I worked on the chair drill (used an invisible chair) and really feeling the backswing in my right cheek and follow through in my right. Unforthnately my iphone battery ran flat so I weren't able to video my swing and see how well I was doing but it definitely felt like my right shoulder was staying down... I also felt like I was able to whip the club through with more power as I was rotating the spine.

Anyway has anyone worked on this and felt an ache in there lower back. I don't think its damage (well hope not) as it feels more like when you go to the gym after a while and work a muscle group you haven't used in a while. It was aching and the time and just feels a little stiff this morning.

Anyone who had worked on this swing fault have they had the same?

Last edited:

Ads749r

Head Pro
Visit site
Yup me, had it since April when the pro got me to keep my right shoulder down through impact. Lower back hurts but is getting better. I recommend investing in a foam roller, works wonders on the back. Plus I find its my right shoulder hurts a lot recently like its gone week and all crunchy. How's your shoulder.

DaveyG

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Yup me, had it since April when the pro got me to keep my right shoulder down through impact. Lower back hurts but is getting better. I recommend investing in a foam roller, works wonders on the back. Plus I find its my right shoulder hurts a lot recently like its gone week and all crunchy. How's your shoulder.

Yeah thats exactly what I am after too... (The right shoulder part)

No the shoulder is feeling fine at the moment but I had only one session focusing on this - have you taken any swing thought into your rounds as yesterday solely working on the right cheek left cheek thing seemed to work fine. Or do you do a practise swing with it and then just forget all swing thoughts for the shot.

I found I was able to hit my 3 wood off the deck consistently yesterday making sure I weren't extending too which was great. I always loved having that shot in my bag but haven't been abit to hit it for a while.

Ads749r

Head Pro
Visit site
When I start hitting a few over draws/hooks that's when I know my right shoulder isn't staying down and I'm coming up out the shot. I have a problem firing my right hip really quick and early so I slow this down. I imagine a side shot of mcilroy swing as he keeps his head down after impact and you can see his shoulders turning perfect. That's what I think to help me focus back. Great news your spanking 3 woods of the deck. I tend to have a slightly lower flight with my woods when I keep the shoulder down and through but its straighter and goes further.

DaveyG

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
When I start hitting a few over draws/hooks that's when I know my right shoulder isn't staying down and I'm coming up out the shot. I have a problem firing my right hip really quick and early so I slow this down. I imagine a side shot of mcilroy swing as he keeps his head down after impact and you can see his shoulders turning perfect. That's what I think to help me focus back. Great news your spanking 3 woods of the deck. I tend to have a slightly lower flight with my woods when I keep the shoulder down and through but its straighter and goes further.

That's exactly the same with me... Dead straight with a low flight. I was thinking how good that would be in the summer with rock hard fairways

An frozen one's I guess ;)

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
@op it could just be that muscle set hasnt been restrained before due to EE and now you are 'holding it back' it's just muscle fatigue.

Is it lower left or right just above the left/right hip? if left hip I suffer that badly when almost reverse pivoting on the backswing- only takes a small reverese to put strain there, hit 100 balls like that and the pain amplifies thats why you feel it at the range and not on the course

DaveyG

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Its more in the middle couple of inch's above your bum crack ;-)

Drill wise google the chair drill and I have also been shown a good one by keeping a headcover under your left armpit... I always thought it was for something else but keeping your armpit close did seem to give me the right angles.

Here is a video after a couple of hundred balls. To be I am still coming out of the shape but feel like its getting better. Also its the first time I have been honest with myself and hit balls down the range not caring where they have gone and really focusing on the drill. I had a few shots at the end where I imagined I was on the course and let the swing thoughts go. Contact was better and I think I was still rotating more than I have been.

http://ubersense.com/7lQS8KWN

Guess its a long term fix ;-)