Cupping my wrist...

StrangelyBrown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi guys,
I'm pretty sure that I cup my wrist on the back swing.
If I didn't un-cup on the way down what result would you expect to see?
I've been hitting some shots that look like shanks (45* right) but I'm starting to think that I've had the club wide open, followed by a lot of pulled shots that I think is me over compensating and closing the face.
As I making any sense?
Cheers,
SB.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If you cup your left wrist back this will open the clubface of not flattened. Try hitting some half shots with a nine iron while keeping your right wrists cupped through the shot, this will prevent the left wrist from cupping or flipping.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Sounds like you are swinging over the top (outside the line) a little, hitting the ball with the clubface closed (most shanks are hit this way) and if you don't shank it then there's a good chance you just pull it left.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
You could also try just swinging 1-handed, left-handed. That should make it pretty obvious whether you are cupping or not.

Also a good drill, actually hitting a ball, but start off with half swings - or less! Flight should be a gentle draw.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
It's not necessarily bad to cup your wrist... it depends what else is going on in your swing.... however it does fit in with a 2-plane swing rather more than a 1-plane. Your over the top path, probable flipping and perhaps even your grip are areas that will still need looking in to. Did you post a swing vid anywhere?

I haven't heard any bad words about the swingyde at all.... I'd say that would be a choice that you can make for yourself.

StrangelyBrown

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's not necessarily bad to cup your wrist... it depends what else is going on in your swing.... however it does fit in with a 2-plane swing rather more than a 1-plane.

I'm not sure what I do, but the more I read about 1 plane the more I like it, fewer moving parts, less 'armsy', using the bigger muscles to make the power etc...

Your over the top path, probable flipping and perhaps even your grip are areas that will still need looking in to. Did you post a swing vid anywhere?

I did post one a long time ago where I was very OTT. I'm hoping that the practice I've done with the headcover drill and starting the down swing with my left hip has mitigated that to a certain degree. I'll try to get a video at some point.

I haven't heard any bad words about the swingyde at all.... I'd say that would be a choice that you can make for yourself.

Well, I've got £20 from my Christmas money left :D

Cheers James, fascinating as always :thup: