Will a newer driver help with my distance?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
If you're only carrying 250-260 and you're off 12 around your course....either you're knocking it in the trees a lot or you've got a rubbish short game.
When I played a lot my driver TOTAL was around 250 but I was straight and I had a good short game.

I would advise you to concentrate on your up and downs from 50yds and under and ignore the lies, drivel, misinformation on the internet.

Others will disagree
If the OP is hitting it that far and keeping it in play they isn’t the issue more likely with approach play? Would you not advise to work on hitting better approach shots first?
Obviously a good short game is useful, but not needing it so often would be better?

But all things being equal, hitting it further off the tee is better.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Said this before but Jamie added at least 20 yards to his drives by upgrading from a non fitted F9, to a Callaway Ai Smoke.
The fitting was key to that though, not just the newer club.

The kicker for me was I took his F9 head and replaced my old F6 head - and I have gained a few yards and much tighter dispersion, the difference from the F6 to the F9 is noticeable to me, as is the difference from the F9 to the Callaway for Jamie.

If he shoots in the mid 80's - he's on the disappointed side - whereas before, he'd have been more than happy with that score.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If the OP is hitting it that far and keeping it in play they isn’t the issue more likely with approach play? Would you not advise to work on hitting better approach shots first?
Obviously a good short game is useful, but not needing it so often would be better?

But all things being equal, hitting it further off the tee is better.
Whatever

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I've given my opinion.
You disagree.
I'm not going to argue by repeating myself.
It doesn’t have to be an argument if you don’t make it one.

Suppose the OP hits 14 tee shots exactly 250 yards and hits the middle of every fairway. Yet still shoots 88. Whats the most likely cause?

If you put a tour pro in exactly the same position and compared the scores at the end of the round, what would the difference be and why?

In answer to the OP. Go get a fitting. Even if it cost you £40. But make sure you keep hitting your driver in between others and after you are fully warmed up.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

Suppose the OP hits 14 tee shots exactly 250 yards and hits the middle of every fairway. Yet still shoots 88. Whats the most likely cause?

If you put a tour pro in exactly the same position and compared the scores at the end of the round, what would the difference be and why?

In answer to the OP. Go get a fitting. Even if it cost you £40. But make sure you keep hitting your driver in between others and after you are fully warmed up.
The OP is a member of a short, tight, tree lined course.
He has an issue with hooking the ball as demonstrated by being 5 off the first tee a few weeks ago.
I've never see the OP swing but it sounds as he has swing path/grip issues which will be difficult to fix and may take a long time.

It's my opinion, having played with many 10-15 handicaps that the quickest and easiest way of improving his h/cap is by hitting his 50 yard shots closer to give a better chance of making par/birdie.
It only take a bit of grass 50-60 yards long and an umbrella to learn the 50 yard shot. It can the be modified by changing clubs/swing lengths for 30-100 yards with just one technique.
Buying a new driver which hooks it further into the trees on a narrow tree lined course is not going to help. IMHO.

crdb

Visit site
The OP is a member of a short, tight, tree lined course.
He has an issue with hooking the ball as demonstrated by being 5 off the first tee a few weeks ago.
I've never see the OP swing but it sounds as he has swing path/grip issues which will be difficult to fix and may take a long time.

It's my opinion, having played with many 10-15 handicaps that the quickest and easiest way of improving his h/cap is by hitting his 50 yard shots closer to give a better chance of making par/birdie.
It only take a bit of grass 50-60 yards long and an umbrella to learn the 50 yard shot. It can the be modified by changing clubs/swing lengths for 30-100 yards with just one technique.
Buying a new driver which hooks it further into the trees on a narrow tree lined course is not going to help. IMHO.
Yes the course is very tight, but i've worked on the hook & am getting more in the fairway now.. same with the 100 yards & in they were better & came in 9 over on Saturday & 7 over on Sunday. Improvements to the grip were the main fix..

I love this game but the headaches & inconsistencies really to wind me up :LOL:

crdb

Visit site

I think I will look into the fitting, just to see if there are any more forgiving drivers to keep be hitting straighter. Approach game still needs work & judging distances, but that should come in time.. hopefully..

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
If you're only carrying 250-260 and you're off 12 around your course....either you're knocking it in the trees a lot or you've got a rubbish short game.
When I played a lot my driver TOTAL was around 250 but I was straight and I had a good short game.

I would advise you to concentrate on your up and downs from 50yds and under and ignore the lies, drivel, misinformation on the internet.

Others will disagree
I agree 100%. My driver total is about 250 these days but I usually keep it on the short stuff or thereabouts plus my short game is good (even out to 100yds) and so I can muddle it round most places in about 6 or 7.

The lass at my place who is #1 Am in the world spends a lot of time working on her 50yd game. She doesn’t spend much time on getting more distance off the tee…she’s long enough.

forefathers

Visit site
Definitely made a huge difference to my distance to get properly fitted. My spin rates were all over the place and my loft at impact was sending it way too high so just ended up with a lot of drives wasting a lot of energy going up but not necessarily forward.

From what my understanding was the shaft was the biggest issue so just getting this right with the same head made a big difference.

If you're in the UK I'd highly recommend the guys at www.ninebyninegolf.com who fitted me.

crdb

Visit site
Definitely made a huge difference to my distance to get properly fitted. My spin rates were all over the place and my loft at impact was sending it way too high so just ended up with a lot of drives wasting a lot of energy going up but not necessarily forward.

From what my understanding was the shaft was the biggest issue so just getting this right with the same head made a big difference.

If you're in the UK I'd highly recommend the guys at www.ninebyninegolf.com who fitted me.
I think fitting is the right direction I need to look. Just taken a look at that website, think thats a bit far for me to go unfortunately, will look a bit closer to home!

Interesting that it may just be a shaft that improves things though, do you know if any of the new shafts are able to be fitted to something from 2013? :LOL:

forefathers

Visit site
I think fitting is the right direction I need to look. Just taken a look at that website, think thats a bit far for me to go unfortunately, will look a bit closer to home!

Interesting that it may just be a shaft that improves things though, do you know if any of the new shafts are able to be fitted to something from 2013? :LOL:
I'd assume so! :LOL:.

The right shaft is definitely the biggest factor from my experience, I had as much as 20 yards difference between the correct and incorrect setup.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I love this game but the headaches & inconsistencies really to wind me up :LOL:
Try and simplify things.

Golf only has 2 parts....
How you hit it
Where you hit it

If you are having problems with how you hit it (duffs/top/thins), you probably swaying, not turning. Stay centred and keep your head still.

If you are having problems with where you hit it (hooks/slice etc), it's the relationship between swing path and clubface direction at impact. check your grip and the direction of your divot. Quite often a quick tweak to your grip and or aim will fix your issue.

So how you hit it..... Contact
Where you hit it.......Direction

The next time you hit a shot you aren't happy with think CD