Distance with a driver

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
the driver is my favourite club in the bag today my best were 278 and 250 on adjacent holes, averaged about 240

a lot of older people at myclub really don't like the fact young guys can launch it,
to be honest as a new memeber its starting to xxss me off a bit :rant:

i didn't realise there were people out there who took offence when you hit a good drive

do people like this exsist at all golf clubs?

rant over :eek:

The old boys who I play with when I turn up for the Tuesday/Thursday roll up love watching me and the other younger lads who join them sometimes launching balls off the tee. On the 2nd where I only hit a 3 iron off the tee, most of the old boys think it is funny that I still knock it past their drivers.......:fore:

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Of course you do. But actually, no. You don't. I can only assume you are being sarcastic. If not, you are in the PGA Tour top ten for driving distance for 2011 and you are longer than Phil Mickleson, Charl Schwartzel and Adam Scott. This is based on 2 holes per round with opposing wind directions where the driver is used. Pretty accurate then.

The subject of driving distance is a regular topic on this forum. Normally, this comes down to semantics and what you actually define as driving distance (actual average off all tees, carry/roll etc.). However, in this case, the question is slightly different as it asks how far you hit your driver so a comparison with the PGA tour stats above is highly relevant. So again, if you think you hit it regularly over 270 yards with your driver then you are absolutely on a par with some of the best strikers of a golf ball on the planet.

To perhaps cut to the chase, most people have an average driving distance of 210-250 yards and I certainly include myself in this category, albeit near the upper quartile of the range. This is about 40 yards behind the best golfers in the world.

Yes, everyone has hit long drives in the past and some people's Sunday best is brilliant but in general terms, these are the facts.

I hit it these distances consistently. I do hit a very long ball but distance doesn't guarantee a good score because where these guys make most of their shots is around the greens. Look at the Long drive guys. They might be big hitters but how manny of them could earn a lliving on the tour? I am banned from using a driver at my local range because I put too many balls over the fence at the back.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I seem to remember the #1 player in the world and most accurate driver on the euro tour avg's around 280 which includes roll.

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
Of course you do. But actually, no. You don't. I can only assume you are being sarcastic. If not, you are in the PGA Tour top ten for driving distance for 2011 and you are longer than Phil Mickleson, Charl Schwartzel and Adam Scott. This is based on 2 holes per round with opposing wind directions where the driver is used. Pretty accurate then.

The subject of driving distance is a regular topic on this forum. Normally, this comes down to semantics and what you actually define as driving distance (actual average off all tees, carry/roll etc.). However, in this case, the question is slightly different as it asks how far you hit your driver so a comparison with the PGA tour stats above is highly relevant. So again, if you think you hit it regularly over 270 yards with your driver then you are absolutely on a par with some of the best strikers of a golf ball on the planet.

To perhaps cut to the chase, most people have an average driving distance of 210-250 yards and I certainly include myself in this category, albeit near the upper quartile of the range. This is about 40 yards behind the best golfers in the world.

Yes, everyone has hit long drives in the past and some people's Sunday best is brilliant but in general terms, these are the facts.

snelly I am warming to you, I really am

chiv

Club Champion
Visit site
D2 i think the make and shape does make a difference. Some clubs do suit you but no good hitting a 300yard drive into the woods. For good consistency get the right shaft for your swing speed.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I hit it these distances consistently. I do hit a very long ball but distance doesn't guarantee a good score because where these guys make most of their shots is around the greens. Look at the Long drive guys. They might be big hitters but how manny of them could earn a lliving on the tour? I am banned from using a driver at my local range because I put too many balls over the fence at the back.

Timmy! You're back!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Just a familiarity creeping in with the old 'over the fence' reminded me of a much missed forum member.

Just for a minute I was with you and thought we'd brought Timmy back to the fold. I really love these long drive threads. I'm sure there are those on here that can bang it out there regularly (saw a few at Blackmoor) but to say you average 280-300 is funny, especially as it puts you on a par with some of the top players in the world.

At the end of the day does it really matter? I know I'm a short hitter and I'd rather average 225-230 and find it and be playing a second from on or near the fairway than bash it miles out there and br directionally challenged. If you are hitting 280-300 and straight then why aren't you much lower?

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just 2 things. Your lenght of drive only counts if it stays on the fairway. Why do alot of the so called long hitters have the handicaps they do?

DCB

Visit site
Wednesday morning, back to work and reading this has brightened up my day already. These threads are always good for a laugh :lol:

There must be a lot of GPS units out there that need re-calibrating :p

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just 2 things. Your lenght of drive only counts if it stays on the fairway. Why do alot of the so called long hitters have the handicaps they do?
There's a young lad at our club that can drive over the back of the range with his 3 wood ... We often find range balls on the fairway behind when the wind has been blowing in that direction.

He once won a windy stableford comp with 44 as he driving most of the downwind greens, I played with about 2 weeks after and he gave up on the 11th hole after not hitting a single fairway all day, and losing 3 balls already.

When it works he blitzes the course, when not working the people in the next county get worried.