Taylormade SLDR fitting day

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ive been meaning to get on here and post a proper review ever since I left Wentworth on Friday afternoon but it's been a very busy few days, however slightly late, here it is!

Firstly, I'd like to say a massive thank you to the guys at GM for giving me and the other gents this opportunity - it certainly lived up to my expectations. Secondly, an equally massive thank you to taylormade for putting this on - the facility at Wentworth really is something else. The knowledge shown by Tom was fantastic, Ive had a driver fitting previously and thought the fitter knew his stuff, but Tom takes it to another level. Absolutely brilliant and a real pleasure to listen to. I learned more about my swing in one hour with Tom and a trackman than I have n months of lessons, very informative stuff.

Moving onto the detail - the SLDR is a great looking club, in my opinion it's a better looking club than recent taylormade offerings and it sits beautifully at address and really inspired confidence. The noise it makes is also superb - i noticed this particularly while waiting for my fitting in the bay next door while dufferman and junior striped it!

It's more than fair to say that I've really struggled with my driver of late, in particular ive been struggling to get the ball out on a decent trajectory and really get it out there. My swing speed is roughly 95 mph which i consider to be reapectable, but I haven't been converting that into the distance that one would expect - in the range of 200 total distance. With the SLDR I was putting it out there to c.250 total distance - a massive improvement and a much better ball flight. Tom identified quickly that my current driver has a low launching shaft and that (although suited me when I had my previous fitting) no longer suited me having made changes to how I swing. This raised an interesting point for me - I've worked hard over the past 12 months to improve my swing, however as I've improved my iron striking, my driving has suffered and this change has left me with a driver shaft that doesn't really do what I need from it. I'll certainly be keeping my eye on this going forward as my swing continues to develop.

Unfortunately however, and this is really down to some things I should and will tweak in my swing (coming a bit too far from the inside and delofting the club) the SLDR didn't really workout for me. Set to maximum loft, I could get a great distance and trajectory, but this required it to be set to the fade setting and as a result I was pushing / blocking the ball a little. I was disappointed because I felt that this was a failing of my swing rather than a failing of what is clearly a tremendous golf club. It did however spark an interesting debate about whether moving the centre of gravity forward is right for everyone - I'm no expert on the physics of the driver and spin etc, however the consensus was that if you struggle to launch the ball, moving the centre of gravity forward might not be great news as it perhaps makes it harder to launch given the lower spin rates.

That the SLDR wasn't for me only really became apparent when Tom set up an RBZ Stage 2 for me to try - my goodness what a club that is! I was effortlessly launching it high into the Wentworth sky! I preferred the appearance of the SLDR, but the result couldn't be argued with - slightly less distance with the RBZ but a much better dispersion.

Fortunately for me Jess from TaylorMade has offered to give me the RBZ rather than the SLDR based on the results of the fitting! Although over the weekend I had started to convince myself that I could hit the SLDR with a little work on my swing - ultimately I think I am better off using the right club for me now rather than what might be the right club for me in the future!

It was great to meet Neil and Paul, and I can't thank them enough for this opportunity, and it was also great to meet Dufferman and Junior. Finally, thanks once more to Tom and Jess for sorting this out and leaving me with a driver that I cannot wait to get to grips with! The SLDR is a great club, no doubt about it, it really does get the ball out there, for me though, the RBZ is the one!

Last edited:

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks for sharing your day with us CY another good write up, and some interesting points raised.
Quality work from TM and GM much kudos in sorting the right club rather than making the latest offering fit. :thup:

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I really can’t speak highly enough of my experience with TaylorMade – I’m considering a new set of irons next season, I probably wouldn’t have considered TaylorMade, not because I didn’t rate their equipment but I don’t like to have the same equipment as everyone else (all my mates play TM). However, I’m won over – and for the cynics amongst you, it’s not just because I got a freebie from them, but because of the way they were dedicated to making sure that I had the right club for me and not just the club they wanted to promote.

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well, after reading 2 fantastic reviews on here, I thought it was time for me to add mine! I was going to wait till I got the club, but knowing that might be a week or two I'll share with you all today!

Wentworth is a lovely place. It's only a 15 minute drive down the road for me which made my drive to the fitting a lot easier than Junior's and Canary_Yellow's, but even passing it every so often on the road doesn't prepare you for the beauty of the grounds. We all commented on the gardens of the houses being as well kept as the fairways and greens of the courses!

It was great to meet both Junior and Canary_Yellow, and spend some time hitting balls with them in our own private driving range bay.

The fitting itself was an eye opener, as well as the most fun 5 men in a room full of golf clubs can have! It has to be said, having the GM guys, Jess & Tom all standing watching you hit drives whilst being filmed was a bit intimidating to begin with (as an 18 handicapper) but once I'd missed a few shots and got rid of the nerves it all became a bit more relaxed.

My current driver is a Nike SQ Dymo. It is only my 2nd ever driver, and was bought off the shelf when on offer in American Golf. Getting fitted was like opening a door to a new way of driving. The Nike promoted a high spin rate - 6000 to be precise. When Tom told me about the SLDR bringing the spin rate down and the ideal rate being around 2000-3000 I was shocked. The other issue I have with the Nike is the high ball flight, when playing in the wind the ball is almost uncontrollable. It explained a lot - slight miss-hits meant the driver would really misbehave with the spin rate.

Distance wise, like Junior, I was shocked! I was getting a carry of 200-210, where I really thought I'd be up in the 220 - 230 carry. So we had good grounds to improve my driving. And we did...

I had a pop with 4 shafts. The 2nd really made a difference - I got my carry up to around 240-250, and the ball flight & spin rate became a lot lower. I thought we'd cracked it, but with a few more tweaks and another shaft we got the dispersion tighter and a much more consistent ball flight. I hit a cracking drive to finish off and new we'd hit gold.

The noticeable difference I found was the feel of the head on the shaft - I felt I could feel where it was, whereas with the Nike it was all a bit 'feel-less'.

As for the head, it is a lot bigger than my Nike. The adjustments are really flexible, with 4 or 5 settings for loft rather than just 3 like the RBZ. The slider itself is a nice way of changing the shape of the shot - we tried adding some draw on the ball with a few shafts but found that the final shaft meant I could keep the slider neutral to get the most distance possible. Ideal.

The look of the club head is great, as Canary_Yellow has said it really promotes confidence off the tee. Being bigger than my Nike makes me feel like I can hit the ball that little bit further.

I cannot wait to get it out on the course and see some distances compared to my other driver on the courses I normally play. If the distance gain remains true, I can see myself taking on holes like I haven't been able to do before, and knock a few shots off the round! Bring on them par 5's!!

The day was ace, thanks to all the GM team for setting it up and Jess and Tom from TM for giving us the fitting and club!

The goody bag was great too - with a nice T-shirt and cap I now look like a tour pro, even if I don't play like one (but you'll all see that when the video appears!) ;)

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
another great write up DM, hope the new big shiney works well on the course once it arrives, did you end up with a stock shaft or an exotic upgrade for best results?

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well, after reading 2 fantastic reviews on here, I thought it was time for me to add mine! I was going to wait till I got the club, but knowing that might be a week or two I'll share with you all today!

Wentworth is a lovely place. It's only a 15 minute drive down the road for me which made my drive to the fitting a lot easier than Junior's and Canary_Yellow's, but even passing it every so often on the road doesn't prepare you for the beauty of the grounds. We all commented on the gardens of the houses being as well kept as the fairways and greens of the courses!

It was great to meet both Junior and Canary_Yellow, and spend some time hitting balls with them in our own private driving range bay.

The fitting itself was an eye opener, as well as the most fun 5 men in a room full of golf clubs can have! It has to be said, having the GM guys, Jess & Tom all standing watching you hit drives whilst being filmed was a bit intimidating to begin with (as an 18 handicapper) but once I'd missed a few shots and got rid of the nerves it all became a bit more relaxed.

My current driver is a Nike SQ Dymo. It is only my 2nd ever driver, and was bought off the shelf when on offer in American Golf. Getting fitted was like opening a door to a new way of driving. The Nike promoted a high spin rate - 6000 to be precise. When Tom told me about the SLDR bringing the spin rate down and the ideal rate being around 2000-3000 I was shocked. The other issue I have with the Nike is the high ball flight, when playing in the wind the ball is almost uncontrollable. It explained a lot - slight miss-hits meant the driver would really misbehave with the spin rate.

Distance wise, like Junior, I was shocked! I was getting a carry of 200-210, where I really thought I'd be up in the 220 - 230 carry. So we had good grounds to improve my driving. And we did...

I had a pop with 4 shafts. The 2nd really made a difference - I got my carry up to around 240-250, and the ball flight & spin rate became a lot lower. I thought we'd cracked it, but with a few more tweaks and another shaft we got the dispersion tighter and a much more consistent ball flight. I hit a cracking drive to finish off and new we'd hit gold.

The noticeable difference I found was the feel of the head on the shaft - I felt I could feel where it was, whereas with the Nike it was all a bit 'feel-less'.

As for the head, it is a lot bigger than my Nike. The adjustments are really flexible, with 4 or 5 settings for loft rather than just 3 like the RBZ. The slider itself is a nice way of changing the shape of the shot - we tried adding some draw on the ball with a few shafts but found that the final shaft meant I could keep the slider neutral to get the most distance possible. Ideal.

The look of the club head is great, as Canary_Yellow has said it really promotes confidence off the tee. Being bigger than my Nike makes me feel like I can hit the ball that little bit further.

I cannot wait to get it out on the course and see some distances compared to my other driver on the courses I normally play. If the distance gain remains true, I can see myself taking on holes like I haven't been able to do before, and knock a few shots off the round! Bring on them par 5's!!

The day was ace, thanks to all the GM team for setting it up and Jess and Tom from TM for giving us the fitting and club!

The goody bag was great too - with a nice T-shirt and cap I now look like a tour pro, even if I don't play like one (but you'll all see that when the video appears!) ;)

Nice write up.
That's a great improvement in carry distance,impressive.
Just another 60yards carry to go and you will be up with the dreamers of the forum.

HotDogAssassin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
3 great write ups there guys, well done! I'm another that's especially pleased to hear that CY got the club he needed rather than the one being marketed. Kudos for TM and GM! Plus, if he does now go on to buy more TM clubs then it proves the power of good customer service.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
It was raining. That must have taken at least 60 yards off the carry if not 80, right? ;)

That's what I am hoping too mate ;)

Great write up's DM & CY, i'm like a kid at Christmas waiting for mine to arrive......it's going to be a long couple of weeks !!