Crowborough Beacon tomorrow

adam6177

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Morning all

Playing Crowborough beacon tomorrow for the first time - bit pricey as its a bank holiday rate, but looking forward to a game. First time in a month!

Any thoughts/tips on the course? I've no idea on conditions.

Will be a day of many firsts....I've built up my "retro" bag. So Mizuno TP-9 from late 80s, Wilson 8843 putter which seems to be from the late 60s, but I am sticking with a modern driver. I've no idea how far any of the clubs go so will enjoy the day and do some learning!

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
Stay out of the heather!

Only other point would be give them a bell in the morning - we've had a lot of foggy weather recently (I'm in Tunbridge Wells a few miles away) and crowborough always gets the worst of it.

adam6177

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
@OP -How was it as playing there tomorrow afternoon?

I don't want to be harsh on the place to judge it by today's conditions.... As I'd never played there before. So I'll stick to facts - I lost 2 balls in the middle of fairways as they plugged so deep I couldn't find them. A lot of the greens are absolutely saturated... putting was a lottery. Some fairways and walk areas were like the muddy scenes from Glastonbury.

My own opinion.... It shouldn't be open.

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I thought it might be very wet, but can’t get on anywhere else. I’ll enjoy the walk and beer afterwards....

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
I thought it might be very wet, but can’t get on anywhere else. I’ll enjoy the walk and beer afterwards....

If you're desperate for a game tomorrow and Sussex based, head over to Lewes instead. Or any of the other downs-based courses for that matter - Seaford (either), Eastbourne, Willingdon etc. They should all definitely be open and playable given the chalk base. Lewes definitely is.