crisp ball striking please

united99

Visit site
hello fellow golfers :) ive just signed up and really enjoy reading all sorts of posts and seeing the responses. i could do with a few tips please. im an 18 handicapper and seem to hit an awful lot of 'duffs' - this is very frustrating as i really enjoy trying to hit it close. i seem to want to get under the ball, helping it up and instead just take lots of turf ! i would like some pointers as to where exactly to hit the ball and what sort of angle to come thru at to ensure a true crisp strike x

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Welcome to the site United.

Try this imagery, it may help you to hit the ball cleaner.

Imagine that the golf ball has a nail just tacked into it at an angle and when you swing the club your goal is the drive the nail through the ball. Imagine there is no loft on your club and the face is level with the shaft.

For wedges and irons up to a 6 iron imagine the nail is sticking up on a 20 deg angle. For longer irons, hybrids and fairway woods imagine the nail sits at 10 degrees. When hitting your Driver or 3 Wood off a tee imagine the nail is pointing horizontal. Your objective with irons, hybrids and fairways is to strike the nail right through the ball and then hit the ground infront.

Also feel as if you are hitting the ball under a low branch around a meter high and a few meters infront of you. This will also assist you to hit down and through the ball without scooping.

You should aim to hit the ball out of the clubs sweetspot. You can purchase some spray marker called 'Spot On' which you spray on the clubface, when you strike the ball it leaves an inprint of where the clubface made contact with the ball. You can then work on your setup to work out how to hit the ball in the right place. The 'Spot On' does wipe off with a cloth.

I hope this helps.

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
You must be hitting them fairly well to play off 18 ?

If you are hitting them fat watch your posture doesnt change and hence the point of impact

Try a more relaxed reduced swing trying hard to maintain spine angle / posture / height etc

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
GetAttachment.aspx

notice the hands infront of the ball.

sona

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Welcome to the site United.

Try this imagery, it may help you to hit the ball cleaner.

Imagine that the golf ball has a nail just tacked into it at an angle and when you swing the club your goal is the drive the nail through the ball. Imagine there is no loft on your club and the face is level with the shaft.

For wedges and irons up to a 6 iron imagine the nail is sticking up on a 20 deg angle. For longer irons, hybrids and fairway woods imagine the nail sits at 10 degrees. When hitting your Driver or 3 Wood off a tee imagine the nail is pointing horizontal. Your objective with irons, hybrids and fairways is to strike the nail right through the ball and then hit the ground infront.

Also feel as if you are hitting the ball under a low branch around a meter high and a few meters infront of you. This will also assist you to hit down and through the ball without scooping.

You should aim to hit the ball out of the clubs sweetspot. You can purchase some spray marker called 'Spot On' which you spray on the clubface, when you strike the ball it leaves an inprint of where the clubface made contact with the ball. You can then work on your setup to work out how to hit the ball in the right place. The 'Spot On' does wipe off with a cloth.

I hope this helps.

This is a good idea, what I try to do is keep looking at the strike point for 2 seconds after the ball is gone.

united99

Visit site
its a consistancy thing - i probably hit about 10 a round ! a few people seem to be saying similar things so i'll have to try em. thanx wolfman