Crisis of Confidence

Chrimbo

Head Pro
Visit site
I’m suffering a crisis of confidence at the moment and I can’t seam to get myself out of it.

I’m relatively new to the game and I’ve been on the course playing since April ’09 and for a couple of months I was playing OK, so I joined a club and got myself a handicap of 27. About August/September I upgraded to a decent set of clubs, Mizuno MX-200 with graphite shafts (custom fitted), and it seams I’ve been struggling ever since.

I had a lesson with the club pro in December 09 and he highlighted that I was lifting my head so I’ve been on the range practicing. I’ve persevered but my game has deteriorated to where I just can’t hit the ball when I'm on the course, on the range is slightly better as I can hit some nice shots but they are few and far between at the moment.

I find myself frightened of making a shot when I get the irons out on the course as I just don’t know if I’m going to make a good shot or a bad shot or where the ball is going to go…..

I’m now starting to think that I may have overstretched myself with my club selection and I’m not sure how to proceed – do I preserver and get more lessons in the hope that I improve or ditch the clubs and find an alternative or take a break and try to sort the mental side out ……….. Any suggestions or ideas would be welcome.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Firstly i would say you probably have the right clubs for you as youve been custom fitted.Most high handicappers and i was one myself get into bad habits and basically walk to the ball get out a club and try to hit it as hard as possible.My suggestion would be go to the range or a field or a practice area somewhere where you can take your time,then get yourself a pen and paper and write all you do down,club,ball position,feet position,hand position etc.this will help you when you finish so you can look over your notes.The key is when you do a good shot do another on the exact same set up tweeking little bits as you go,sooner or later you will realise what not to do as well as whats right for you,this will take time but know one will say it will be easy,also maybe stay off the course until your comfortable in what your doing,good luck.

bigbiffa

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
and tempo,keep a smooth tempo. if you are lifting your head,try the 10p drill. either place or imagine a 10p under your ball, and look at it for 2 seconds after impact. although,you are trying to keep your eyes fixed, you will find your momentum moves the head to where it SHOULD be at end of swing. its an easy thought to use., im a forfmer
Saying that,are you getting to caught up in technicalities, are you maybe thinking too much? you have to loosen up, and go with the flow m8. listen, ive been there, had a bad case of the shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaa......cant even say it. keep plugging away m8!

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Unless Mizuno made a complete cods of the clubs (most unlikely) then there should be nothing wrong with them.

As with most of us on here, it's the wally weilding them :eek: :eek:.

Are you trying to hit the ball as hard as you can? If so, try slowing down a bit - taking an extra club if needed. Play each shot as a gentle lap-up. My lay-ups usually go further than if I try to murder the ball.

Visit site
I agree with pokerjoke. In the past I have gone through spells where I have been hitting it beautifully and next time I have gone out to play have completely forgotten what I was doing. Write it down when you do something that works, I wish I had and it would of saved a lot of stress and frustration. Also try not to get caught up to much in the technical side. Sometimes theres so much going on upstairs that you just forget what you are trying to do in the first place. Maybe a lesson from your local pro might be a good idea. Keep at it and you'll get there.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
lots of things can be doing this, usually because you concentrate on one thing and forget another. the old head up too soon is a favourite - you fixate on that and forget alignment, or forget to turn properly - I've been there - often.

do the basics, use something to check set-up (cue bob!), while you practice.

Chrimbo

Head Pro
Visit site
Are you trying to hit the ball as hard as you can? If so, try slowing down a bit - taking an extra club if needed. Play each shot as a gentle lap-up. My lay-ups usually go further than if I try to murder the ball.

Probably right, the harder I try to hit it the less distance the ball goes.

I feel like I need to relax more ........

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site

Probably right, the harder I try to hit it the less distance the ball goes.

I feel like I need to relax more ........
A good tip for head upitis is to imagine you are holding an apple under your chin then do not let the apple fall until you have hit the ball. Do not think you have to keep your head down for long it's a misconception.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Unless you've seriously changed your set up and swing path the C/F clubs will not be the cause of the problem. I've had huge tempo issues and its one area I've had to work very hard on. I was swinging way too fast which was leading an overswing and reverse pivot and way too much movement throughout the swing. Its still not perfect but at least I'm giving myself a chance to make a more consistant swing.

One thing I've used is a CD my teaching pro gave me called tour tempo. Basically the concept is that all the top players have a 3:1 swing ratio where the backswing is 3 times slower than the downswing. The CD has music with distinct beats to initiate the start, the downswing and impact in 27/9 (slowest) 24/8 and 21/7 (quickest). It sounds easy but the secret is to listen to the music and not pre-empt the beats. I've burned a couple of copies for some forummers and I'm sure they'll tell you that it makes a huge difference

Check out the webiste http://www.tourtempo.com/

THJahar

Head Pro
Visit site
I've just gone through the same thing.
My cure was to switch to a half shot.
as a high handicapper (24) the difference in distance between a full shot and a half shot is barely there.
The extent of your backswing should be that your arms are parallel with the ground and the club is pointing vertically up (you'll feel like you're playing a pitch shot)
go through you irons at the range doing nothing but these half shots.
You'll suddenly find that you're hitting quite well.
Now starting from the sand wedge switch back to doing a full swing, then a week later add the pitching wedge, week after that add the 9 iron.
the stability you've learned from doing the half shot will start to carry over to the full swing.

DazYeo

Hacker
Visit site
Hey All

I am a newbie too. I had my first lesson (which was also the first time I picked up a club!) in November '09 and have caught the bug. I have had a further lesson and have hit many balls down the range too, but have yet to get the courage up to do a round on a course! I too have had losses in confidence but have just stood back and tried to look at what I'm doing wrong. I'm sure that it is the same for everyone, be they low or high handicappers. Being self critical helps a lot too. I have a habit of topping the ball at the moment which I am trying to work on, something that will hopefully be ironed out next Tuesday after my third lesson.

Keep your chin up mate, you've hit the course so you're way ahead of me!

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Topping accurs very rarely for me however when it does its usally when i tee the ball lower and lift my head to see where the balls gone[tip tee ball up higher depending on what club your hitting and keep your eye on the ball].

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
I have heard lots of stories about higher handicappers playing Mizuno irons. When I started I had the MX19's and didn't get on with them, I then tried the MX200's and I hated them more, so I went for the FP's but if cash wasn't an option then I would have gone for more game improvement, something like the G10 or Rapture with Ping.

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One thing that works for me is knowing what my 'go to' club is.

For me it's my 7i.

Instead of getting out say a 4 or 5 iron when I'm not hitting well. I'll play the shot with the club I know I can play. I might not end upon the green but chances are I'll be closer and in a better position and that helps build confidence.

I often wonder how well I'd score if I just went round with a 7i, Wedge and a putter. :D

The suggestion about not playing full shots is a good one too. I'll probably hit it just as far with a 3/4 swing, if not further, as I make much better ball contact.

I think when you're in a slump you have to play you're way through it. It's ok hitting ball after ball on the range, but if it's on the course where the problem lies, that's where you need to be to get it sorted.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have to be honest and say if I was new to the game and struggling I'd be going for a lesson. There are so many variables especially when learning that it could be caused by a number of things and trying to find something that works is only masking the problem

macsport1

Visit site
If we think we are suffering from a lack of confidence, we often use information to confirm our belief. This is known as confirmation bias. And we overlook information that is telling us that we can improve our golf game. Most golfers who lose confidence get stuck thinking about the mechanics of their swings - unfortunately, that style of thought doesn't help us perform better because we usually play sport best by not thinking about what we are doing. What I suggest to help you swing more fluently and without expectations is to:
1. Allow yourself to relax more and more with each shot you take (e.g., from shot one to shot 10)
2. Build a diet of success for yourself by lowering your expectations for each shot you make on the range
3. Work out a routine that you can use for each shot you take - never allow yourself to be sloppy in your routine

These points will help you to regain your confidence in golf.

All the best,

Dr. Paul McCarthy