Crazy Tee Positions

• Thread starter Deleted member 21258
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 21258

After playing Nefyn in Wales and having to tee off from a Coast guards watch tower. Which I thought was fairly unusual.

Also Austin Lodge had a par 3 that the tee was miles above the green.

What other unusual tees have you come across on golf courses ?

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
After playing Nefyn in Wales and having to tee off from a Coast guards watch tower. Which I thought was fairly unusual.

Also Austin Lodge had a par 3 that the tee was miles above the green.

What other unusual tees have you come across on golf courses ?

I'd argue that there is a more crazy tee position at Nefyn on that back 9, notably the one with the completely blind tee shot to the fairway with the path full of walkers running through the fairway heading down to the pub. That is just plain insane.

Played at El Rompido in southern Spain the other week. Playing off the whites on I think the 7th hole (South Course), the white tee is about 30 odd yards right of the yellow tee, this means that your drive has to play directly over the OB directly in front of you. The OB runs all the way down the right side of the fairway, and there is a very large tree completely blocking your line and the line of sight from the tee over / through the OB to the fairway. It is just a complete guess, and totally crazy/ stupid.

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
I'd argue that there is a more crazy tee position at Nefyn on that back 9, notably the one with the completely blind tee shot to the fairway with the path full of walkers running through the fairway heading down to the pub. That is just plain insane.

Played at El Rompido in southern Spain the other week. Playing off the whites on I think the 7th hole (South Course), the white tee is about 30 odd yards right of the yellow tee, this means that your dive has to play directly over the OB directly in front of you. The OB runs all the way down the right side of teh fairway, and there is a very large tree completely blocking any line of sight from the tee over / through the OB to the fairway. It is just a complete guess, and totally crazy/ stupid.

At Nefyn, is that the one with the cliffs and sea on the right near the end of the round. I thought that was mental. You are going to aim left, right were the walking path is....... I liked Nefyn, but thought that hole was a shocker.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
The one this weekend at the Turkish Open from the top of the villa.

Tee boxes behind trees are the ones that get me - there's a par 5 at Gramacho(sp?) that if the tee markers are positioned to the right leave you teeing from behind mature trees about 20ft away! You're forced to go left - fine if you fade the ball - and even straight takes you to water along the left of the fairway. There's one like that at Armagh Golf Club as well - if you draw the ball, forget about it!

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would say the 18th at Woodlands Manor. A par 3 from a tee box cut into a hill to a green below, for which a public single track road runs in front of it. Just seems nuts with the public road there.

D

Deleted member 18588

The 5th at Kirby Muxloe is a 290 yard par 4 with the tee in a field about 90 yards from the rest of the course.

Until a couple of years ago only the teeing ground was in bounds but when hosting an England Golf event it was amended to include the approach to the tee (approx 12 yards wide) to be included

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The line from the 8th / 17th tee at Gosport and Stokes Bay goes across the high wire fence of neighbouring Fort Monkton (an MOD property). Not a shot to lose to the right!

Tis a reverse camber fairway as well.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I encountered a weird one at Bad Münstereifel earlier this year. It is a very hilly course and the 14th is a par 3 off a rather high and steep hill. That is not the crazy part, though. The crazy part is that you hit your tee shot on 14, then climb down the hill about a third of the way, then hit your tee shot for the 15th (also still from a relaitve high vantage point and a bit blind because there is a lot of brush and low trees you have to hit over to get to the fairway) and then you climb all the way down to play out hole 14 and afterwards you cross over to 15 and try to find your tee shot. It is pretty important that you do it that way, because otherwise you'd have to climb all the way back up to hit your tee shot on 15 and you would hold up play for everyone behind you. But it feels very weird to hit two of those hit and hope downhill tee shots in direct succession. Also, I played it in the height of summer, when the ground was so hard baked that you had very little control over where you ball would end up, even on a good shot. They just bounced and rolled down that hill like crazy.

You can find a picture of it here:
https://golfbadmuenstereifel.de/images/course/impression/plus/loch14a.jpg

(viewed from above the 14th ladies tee, 14th green to the right, tee 15 to the left, it looks a lot steeper and crazier from the backward tees)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I encountered a weird one at Bad Münstereifel earlier this year. It is a very hilly course and the 14th is a par 3 off a rather high and steep hill. That is not the crazy part, though. The crazy part is that you hit your tee shot on 14, then climb down the hill about a third of the way, then hit your tee shot for the 15th (also still from a relaitve high vantage point and a bit blind because there is a lot of brush and low trees you have to hit over to get to the fairway) and then you climb all the way down to play out hole 14 and afterwards you cross over to 15 and try to find your tee shot. It is pretty important that you do it that way, because otherwise you'd have to climb all the way back up to hit your tee shot on 15 and you would hold up play for everyone behind you. But it feels very weird to hit two of those hit and hope downhill tee shots in direct succession. Also, I played it in the height of summer, when the ground was so hard baked that you had very little control over where you ball would end up, even on a good shot. They just bounced and rolled down that hill like crazy.

You can find a picture of it here:
https://golfbadmuenstereifel.de/images/course/impression/plus/loch14a.jpg

(viewed from above the 14th ladies tee, 14th green to the right, tee 15 to the left, it looks a lot steeper and crazier from the backward tees)
That looks really nice.
Is that allowed in a comp?
We do it in the sweep at our place but not in the comps.