Covid-19, top courses must be empty?

Mickyc

Hacker
Visit site
Given covid-19 it looks like my trip to the old course and other open rota courses in June is under threat. Had me thinking, presumably without much foreign travel you should be able to walk on the old course pretty easily these days?

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
Nothing to do with the above but is covid19 related

Murcia and Valencia regions of Spain are shutting down their courses

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's an interesting thought. All the top end courses that rely on Americans, Japanese and Chinese will have some empty slots for sure. I'm looking forward to having Gleneagles to myself and my son in a few weeks time. I'm sure our two lemonade and two bags of crisps will help to keep them going ?.

Ive finished a round at our place and the car park is full. Heavy rain last night closed a few courses so plenty of members and visitors getting out. Quite funny to see the awkward go to handshake, don't handshake, what do we do?

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just heard something from my mate who’s a member at Wilmsow GC.

They have taken an unprecedented step in the fight against covid 19.

To prevent members coming into close proximity in the changing room.

They are actually allowing golfers to change shoes in the car park.
?

Progress is being made ?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Just heard something from my mate who’s a member at Wilmsow GC.

They have taken an unprecedented step in the fight against covid 19.

To prevent members coming into close proximity in the changing room.

They are actually allowing golfers to change shoes in the car park.
?

Progress is being made ?
Same at Ellesborough.....but it is only a temporary measure...:LOL:

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
It's an interesting thought. All the top end courses that rely on Americans, Japanese and Chinese will have some empty slots for sure. I'm looking forward to having Gleneagles to myself and my son in a few weeks time. I'm sure our two lemonade and two bags of crisps will help to keep them going ?.

Ive finished a round at our place and the car park is full. Heavy rain last night closed a few courses so plenty of members and visitors getting out. Quite funny to see the awkward go to handshake, don't handshake, what do we do?

Haven't booked Gleneagles for May yet, will the price go up, or get cheaper ?

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I'd imagine you might get some deals at some places, but I'd reckon the Old Course will not change their structure, albeit it will be easier to get on if you are in the area.

My guess is that there will be hundreds of times that open up due to lack of visitors and the local members will make that their home course for most of April and May while usually there would be limited times for them.

My guess is we are looking at a fairly significant period from now into April where if they really want to protect people they will have to take significant steps to stop people moving / interacting etc. Beyond that I'd guess these measures would no longer help the situation.

Seems very much like the UK are going down a route of let the virus spread, but at a controlled pace, in order to achieve herd immunity. Saw an interesting argument on C4 last night that a lockdown approach will only delay the spread of the virus and the 2nd wave could be much worse as people have become less careful or less willing to restrict their life after already having a few weeks in lockdown.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
might get a few moregames at Dornoch than usual this year with the couple of mates who are members, might be able to get round in under 4 hours without yanks and caddies clogging up the course:LOL:

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
A lot of courses will seriously struggle this year with a lack of visitor income. I can see a few courses offering 4 ball deals, twilight deals etc.

Mickyc

Hacker
Visit site
I have a trip booked for end June - old course, troon, prestwick, turnberry, and carnoustie.
Sound like they expect the virus to only peak in June so that trip may be a woeful waste of greenfees.
Supposed to also be going to fancourt in two weeks time. That too is looking unlikely.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site

We just got an email from the club , here's a few of their tips = not to shake hands after your round, wash hands when on entering the clubhouse, if you sneeze or cough use a tissue and bin it immediately, and wash your hands with soap for 20 seconds or use a sanitiser. Door handles will be cleaned and sterilised regularly.
Don't stand or sit too close to others , if you think you may be infected please self isolate and take care.

Last edited:

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Supply and demand. I wouldn't pay it, but unfortunately for me, a bucket load of tourists would...

Do they offer local residents rates?