COVID-19 - So what would you do in the current situation?

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Apologies, I didn't know about the death in your family.
But surely we are talking about how widespread it is, not how long it's been here.

Thank you, but you weren't to know about the death so there is no need for an apology. (y)

My concern is that the longer it has been here, the further it is likely to have spread and therefore if it has been here this long and potentially through a lot more of us than is currently realised then the lockdown may be for little purpose.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Thank you, but you weren't to know about the death so there is no need for an apology. (y)

My concern is that the longer it has been here, the further it is likely to have spread and therefore if it has been here this long and potentially through a lot more of us than is currently realised then the lockdown may be for little purpose.

I guess it's probably best to err on the safe side.
At the end of the day, no amount of me worrying or complaining can change the past. All I can do is control my future by staying away from other people, staying in and hoping Professor Sarah Gilbert and her team deliver the vaccine as soon as possible.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site

Sort of agree with this. Part of me thinks that my area has been lucky in relation to the lack of cases but part of me thinks that it is down to a significant number having already had it. Would be nice to know one way or the other.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site

Logically that sounds correct. The issue for me is how virulent it is and I think if it had there would be a decent increase in cases in hospital for something unknown and also additional deaths and nowhere is showing that so that would mean all those additional cases go it and it was just mild and the odds of that are very very low, too low for me.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
If it has been here longer (I k ow quite a few of us that got severely ill over Xmas) then a silver lining Could be that herd immunity is more widespread.

It could also account for why the deaths and increase of cases was so rapid. If it was widespread then there will come a point where almost everyone has it and so whilst it's a tragic number of deaths. It was almost inevitable as everyone who didn't have natural immunity was bound to get it before lockdown even got implemented..

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If it has been here longer (I k ow quite a few of us that got severely ill over Xmas) then a silver lining Could be that herd immunity is more widespread.

It could also account for why the deaths and increase of cases was so rapid. If it was widespread then there will come a point where almost everyone has it and so whilst it's a tragic number of deaths. It was almost inevitable as everyone who didn't have natural immunity was bound to get it before lockdown even got implemented..

There was a risk that when the 'R' rate was well over 2 that adhering to the 'herd immunity' strategy would cause up to 500k fatalities with the NHS capacity exceeded. Hence as soon as enough data showed the exponential growth that social distancing had to be brought in.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
There was a risk that when the 'R' rate was well over 2 that adhering to the 'herd immunity' strategy would cause up to 500k fatalities with the NHS capacity exceeded. Hence as soon as enough data showed the exponential growth that social distancing had to be brought in.
I know that strategy got binned off.

I'm simply saying that a lot more of us may well have been infected that was first thought.

Mandofred

Visit site
Things to remember.....a number of virus types still haven't got a vaccine. Also, with the regular flu shots it's estimated that it only reduces your chance of getting it by 40-60%....doesn't guarantee that you won't get it. I'm just assuming this virus is going to keep zapping people for a LONG time. I just hope there WILL be a vaccine and it works really well.

Blue in Munich

Visit site
Logically that sounds correct. The issue for me is how virulent it is and I think if it had there would be a decent increase in cases in hospital for something unknown and also additional deaths and nowhere is showing that so that would mean all those additional cases go it and it was just mild and the odds of that are very very low, too low for me.

I see where you are coming from but equally there are those who are completely asymptomatic; without testing we will never know.

If we test and find it isn't as far spread as I believe then I'll happily (ish) wind my neck in and comply with any lockdown conditions it requires to beat it. But I'm not convinced that this hasn't been through a lot more of us than we realise.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
I see where you are coming from but equally there are those who are completely asymptomatic; without testing we will never know.

If we test and find it isn't as far spread as I believe then I'll happily (ish) wind my neck in and comply with any lockdown conditions it requires to beat it. But I'm not convinced that this hasn't been through a lot more of us than we realise.

Well Chris Whitty just answered the questions. 10% in London so around 800,000 and 4% across the rest of the country which is around 2,000,0000 so we are looking at a total of 3,000,0000 ish. Nowhere near 25% more like around 5%.

If these are anywhere near accurate that is an awful lot of death for so few and no way can we avoid another outbreak.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Looking back at how many of my mates at the golf club and people at work that seemed to have a virus type bug from Christmas onwards then you may be correct that it was already out there and already gone through a lot of us before we even knew what Corona was. Now whether inadvertently having it and just getting on with it will have helped will no doubt come out in due course. For me though, I am still concerned about another spike in the next 7-21 days and how the government reacts

Blue in Munich

Visit site
Well Chris Whitty just answered the questions. 10% in London so around 800,000 and 4% across the rest of the country which is around 2,000,0000 so we are looking at a total of 3,000,0000 ish. Nowhere near 25% more like around 5%.

If these are anywhere near accurate that is an awful lot of death for so few and no way can we avoid another outbreak.

Is it; we are target testing those we think have it, are we not? If so we are not testing anyone who is asymptomatic so we won't know how far it has actually got as we are not blind testing to find the full extent of the spread.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
Is it; we are target testing those we think have it, are we not? If so we are not testing anyone who is asymptomatic so we won't know how far it has actually got as we are not blind testing to find the full extent of the spread.

Nope, the reality is we have 5% having it and that's testing those we think had it, testing those that we don't think have it would bring that number down not up. I appreciate you want to support your opinion and have it validated. Unfortuantely it has not been and that is why no one else is saying or thinking 25% has been infected. I am sorry for that but it is what it is..

To add Whitty did say a lot of people won't actually get it at all, so either he is wrong again and more will get it like you say or people haven't had it like they say.

I say this wishing 25 or 30% had had it already, that would be far more favorable than only 5% having had it.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Things to remember.....a number of virus types still haven't got a vaccine. Also, with the regular flu shots it's estimated that it only reduces your chance of getting it by 40-60%....doesn't guarantee that you won't get it. I'm just assuming this virus is going to keep zapping people for a LONG time. I just hope there WILL be a vaccine and it works really well.

Things also to remember.....
Scientists wouldn't be manufacturing 1 million doses of their vaccine if they didn't think it would work.