Courses near Bradford / Leeds

Swango1980

Visit site
Hello. I also posted this in the lounge, but that was maybe not the right forum for it, so copied in here (I'll look at both, so no need to comment on both :) ) In May we have our Captain's Weekend at Hollins Hall, north of Bradford. However, a few of us will want to head that way a day early, and play a course on the Friday. Any recommendations for courses in the area? We'll be travelling from Lincoln, so our route should take us up the A1 from Worksop, then across on the M62 past Leeds. Thanks

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
Plenty of good courses in North Leeds. Alwoodley, Moortown, Sand Moor and Moor Allerton (my old club from a good while back) are all well worth a visit. And there’s also Leeds Golf Centre (Wike Ridge) home of our very own 2Blue!

If you want to venture a little bit further north there is Pannal, just south of Harrogate, which is an excellent course with some great views.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hello. I also posted this in the lounge, but that was maybe not the right forum for it, so copied in here (I'll look at both, so no need to comment on both :) ) In May we have our Captain's Weekend at Hollins Hall, north of Bradford. However, a few of us will want to head that way a day early, and play a course on the Friday. Any recommendations for courses in the area? We'll be travelling from Lincoln, so our route should take us up the A1 from Worksop, then across on the M62 past Leeds. Thanks
What days are you there??
Anyway as a starter I can help you on a few points here.....
  • Howley Hall is 'mid-priced', & your top S Leeds course but a pig of an hour long, evening journey after you've played, to get to Hollins Hall.
  • Best quality golf is in N Leeds + simplest journey on after, leave A1(M) at jcn 45 gives acces to all N Leeds Clubs... various prices.
  • As Hollins Hall is moorland/heathland you may want something different... after that its all to do with price.
  • Parkland - Moor Allerton for the best all round test of golf in Leeds area
    • Wetherby lovely river-side course
    • Scarcroft, Sandmoor, Headingley very nice courses
    • Wike Ridge - good value budget course
  • Heathland & 2 of the best tracks in Yorkshire so dearer
    • Alwoodley - if you can get a twilight rate, you'll be playing Yorkshire's best IMO
    • Moortown - as above but probs Yorkshire's no. 3
  • Harrogate
    • Pannal GC - best in this area & is usually just getting into condition in May & could be good value as well as very well placed for your journey on... HarrogateHacker on here could supply course condition etc nearer the time.
    • Rudding Park - good value budget course
To be honest, you're spoilt for choice. Depends on your budget & expectations. Likely Hollins Hall will be a 'step-down' from most I've mentioned. So...... my selection, based on ease of travel & quality of experience, would be..... (I like Howley Hall a lot but the following journey & choices in N Leeds means......)
  • Twilight at Allwoodley or Moortown - need to book early here.
  • Moor Allerton for a great test of Golf
  • Headingley as the next best to these IMO
  • Pannal if it's in condition could be next.
  • Then any of the others will provide a good golfing experience
After that it's down to your budget & preferences....... nice problem to have.
### AND FINALLY...... at Hollins Hall..... DO NOT TURN DOWN THE OFFER OF A LIFT UP TO THE FIRST TEE!!!.... or you face, what must be, close on 500ft of ascent.

Swango1980

Visit site
Cheers guys, I've passed the info on to our captain, who will look into it. We are going mid to late May, I think the second last weekend. We'll probably go for something relatively cheap, given there'll be a lot of people going away for a full weekend (so will avoid the one that had £110 green fee).

Yeah, I played Hollins Hall before in a Trilby Tour event, and the walk up the hill to the first was my most vivid memory. I also think I remember a dog leg right par 4, where your second shot could be 250 yards or 20 yards depending on whether you caught a big hill to the green.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Cheers guys, I've passed the info on to our captain, who will look into it. We are going mid to late May, I think the second last weekend. We'll probably go for something relatively cheap, given there'll be a lot of people going away for a full weekend (so will avoid the one that had £110 green fee).

Yeah, I played Hollins Hall before in a Trilby Tour event, and the walk up the hill to the first was my most vivid memory. I also think I remember a dog leg right par 4, where your second shot could be 250 yards or 20 yards depending on whether you caught a big hill to the green.
So if its Sat golf with a sizable group that yer looking for & an economic course you may struggle to get into the Trad Clubs, including Howley so could do worse than play at my place, Wike Ridge (Leeds Golf Center) It will be in good nick by May.

Swango1980

Visit site
So if its Sat golf with a sizable group that yer looking for & an economic course you may struggle to get into the Trad Clubs, including Howley so could do worse than play at my place, Wike Ridge (Leeds Golf Center) It will be in good nick by May.
The day I'm talking about will be Friday, after which we are playing Hollins Hall on Saturday / Sunday

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Friday's you'll have the pick of the course's in the area and should be able to pick out a good deal. Dave 2Blue's course is a great course.
Paul's right... Wike would be a good & economic, fall-back if the other, more prestigious, N Leeds courses mentioned don't offer an acceptable deal. Good luck.
EDIT
Paul will know better, but I'd say that the M62 on a Fri pm. will not be a very pleasant route to Hollins Hall, even later in the day. Where as a game in N Leeds gives access to shorter and better route IMO.

Last edited: