Captain's Weekend at Hollins Hall

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There are indeed. I really miss the depth in quality of golf available up there. I live in East Anglia now and due to the nature of the land golf courses are sparse. Places like Ely City, which is nice and considered one of the best in this area, would be bang average in the area being discussed.

To be honest I haven't played any of these courses for a long time. So some may have changed.
I was a member at Northcliffe until I moved down south 10 years ago. So I would be biased and say play there. For the 18th if nothing else.
There are so many very good courses up there, it's very difficult for any to stand out, and a lot comes down to personal preference.

Hollins Hall was a bit ropey last time I played it, but it was still relatively new, and I understand it has matured nicely and gets good reviews.

I have family who are still members at Northcliffe and at St Ives, and both are supposed to be in decent condition.

Somewhere like Baildon or even Hallifax Ogden will give the OP a completely different experience than most of the others. But the weather can be nasty.

Just boils down to the type of course the OP wants to play and his budget.

Playing Northcliffe next Fri. Few of my mate's are members and have said that they've put a lot of drainage in over lockdown and the course is immaculate at the moment.

I was a member at Baildon for 18 months and love the course, even if it's very difficult at times.

Hollins was decent before this last lockdown, not played it since. Used to hate it but have grown to like it.

D

Deleted member 29109

Playing Northcliffe next Fri. Few of my mate's are members and have said that they've put a lot of drainage in over lockdown and the course is immaculate at the moment.

I was a member at Baildon for 18 months and love the course, even if it's very difficult at times.

Hollins was decent before this last lockdown, not played it since. Used to hate it but have grown to like it.

Hope you enjoy it. I love the course. Its not long but it was a good test and the greens are small compared to most courses.

When I first joined it wasn't in the best condition. The head green keeper had been there a long time. When he left the new guy put an awful lot of work in to get standards up. I habe heard they have been making small improvements year on year.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hope you enjoy it. I love the course. Its not long but it was a good test and the greens are small compared to most courses.

When I first joined it wasn't in the best condition. The head green keeper had been there a long time. When he left the new guy put an awful lot of work in to get standards up. I habe heard they have been making small improvements year on year.

Play it fairly regularly. It gets better and better. Few years ago they had a few issues that have been sorted. Looking forward to it.

D

Deleted member 29109

Play it fairly regularly. It gets better and better. Few years ago they had a few issues that have been sorted. Looking forward to it.

Thats good to hear. I'm go to try and get up there to play one of the centenary opens this year.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Very strange that there is only one mention of Headingley, a course I would rank just behind Alwoodley & Moortown & certainly well ahead of most of the others mentioned.
Yes, at Hollins Hall decline the buggy lift to the first tee, at your peril.