Courses around Harrogate

cvieri32

Hacker
Visit site
Hi everyone, kindly after some recommendations for courses around Harrogate if anybody has any suggestions!

A small group looking for a Saturday afternoon in summer, within 15min drive of Harrogate centre (N Leeds courses not an option).

So far it has been narrowed down to Oakdale and Knaresborough - does anyone have a view on either? Pannal would’ve been ideal, but, is member only on a Saturday. Many thanks in advance :)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Both are good choices but my own favourite is Oakdale. Knaresborough is quite a long course whereas Oakdale has a better mix of lengths I would say. There are also some very good visual holes at Oakdale that are quite dramatic and fun to play.

As I say though, both are good choices and you won't go wrong with either.

Mandofred

Visit site
I've been a member at Knaresborough for most of 7 years (and Ripon this last season as well). Anything in particular you want to know? I can't speak about Oakdale, although I'm kind of planning on joining there for this next season. I know Lord Tyrion speaks highly of Oakdale, so hopefully he will add something......he has played at both courses a number of times so can compare better than I can.

Ahhh.....he beat me to it..:)

cvieri32

Hacker
Visit site
Thanks for the responses, much appreciated and all sounds good!
We are a mixed group ranging from single figures to high handicappers, so maybe Oakdale may be the more generous / suitable in that regard?
It is about 30% more expensive than Knaresborough though and whilst not a major blocker, wondered if the difference is that great, if at all?

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played Knaresborough a couple of times with our society which sounds similar to your group. Everybody really enjoyed it. I think it's a great course.

Rudding is an option. Marmite course I've found but I like it. Harrogate is a lovely course too but could be the same as Pannal on a Saturday.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
@cvieri32 I'd say the difference is very much down to personal preference which is why I say you won't go wrong with either. Both are very well kept, both have excellent holes, offer a challenge but won't intimidate or beat anyone up. Both have good clubhouses/bars for afterwards.

If your higher handicappers don't hit it too far then they may struggle at times with Knaresborough but if distance isn't an issue for them then don't worry about that aspect. It isn't a slog by the way, I don't want to give that impression. (I'm off 18 and hit it around 190yds off the tee and manage it okay, as a guide for you)

I'm back at Knaresborough in a couple of months for an Open, I played Oakdale last year as part of a 2 day trip. I like them both ??. It's the sort of choice where you can't make a wrong decision.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wetherby is less than 20 min from the centre of Harrogate. A Brabazon qualifier next year I believe.
But re the Harrogate courses, Harrogate is physically less demanding than the others.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Shame you've excluded N Leeds.... only a touch more than 15 mins from Harrogate. MoorAllerton, in Summer IMO is the best test of golf in Leeds (& that includes Alwoodley & Moortown) & head & shoulders above anything in Harrogate. They alternate their weekend comps so you could get on one of them...... in Summer there is nothing to touch it...... your loss if you miss it.
All the Harrogate courses mentioned are much of a muchness...... OK but nothing special.
Also as Rulefan says Wetherby is a very fine course & one of my favorites....... also don't ignore Scarcroft barely 20 mins from Harrogate..... a gem.

cvieri32

Hacker
Visit site
Thanks for all the comments.

@Lord Tyrion - reassuring to know we are along the right lines. Maybe Oakdale just shades it, but, sounds like will enjoy either of the 2!

@rulefan - will take a look at Wetherby and with some players heading up from the South, handy from the M1-A1

@2blue Appreciate the suggestion regarding Moor Allerton, but, played it a few times and want to try somewhere new. Lovely track though and nice variation of holes, with some fantastic views!

Harrogate was on the original shortlist, but, guest times start a bit late for us on a Saturday with an evening engagement lined up afterwards. Would love to play though!

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
If your choice is between Oakdale & Knaresborough I'd go for Oakdale. Apart from anything else it's nearer the centre.
K'boro has a couple of poor holes (15th and 17th) but Oakdale has a nice 1st and 18th. But both are decent courses.

Barking_Mad

Visit site
I've played Oakdale and Harrogate as my mate is a member at the first and was a member at the second.

Harrogate was quality in terms of how it was kept, but IMO a little up and down in places. Nice course, might be tricky getting a tee on a Saturday? We used to play Sunday afternoon and we often had the place to ourselves.

Oakdale is a much more interesting course in terms of layout, with some lovely holes. They've a YouTube flyover if you want a look.

Other option back towards Leeds is Leeds Golf Centre. Nice set-up with Top Tracer range and a really modern feel to it.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've played Oakdale and Harrogate as my mate is a member at the first and was a member at the second.

Harrogate was quality in terms of how it was kept, but IMO a little up and down in places. Nice course, might be tricky getting a tee on a Saturday? We used to play Sunday afternoon and we often had the place to ourselves.

Oakdale is a much more interesting course in terms of layout, with some lovely holes. They've a YouTube flyover if you want a look.

Other option back towards Leeds is Leeds Golf Centre. Nice set-up with Top Tracer range and a really modern feel to it.

As 2022 Club Captain I can guarantee a very warm welcome here..... to be fair, the course may not be quite up to the Harrogate options but very acceptable & excellent value. Good luck with your choices.