Course to play on the way back from burnham and Berrow

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
4 of us are lucky enough to be playing burnham and Berrow in a few weeks, cannot wait.

We’re looking for somewhere to play on the Sunday. We’re stopping in Weston and home is up the m5 to the midlands, so we’re hoping for somewhere not too far from Weston on the way back, nice but not majorly expensive (burnham costing a small fortune!), maybe £30-40 ish.

Any suggestions?

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
4 of us are lucky enough to be playing burnham and Berrow in a few weeks, cannot wait.

We’re looking for somewhere to play on the Sunday. We’re stopping in Weston and home is up the m5 to the midlands, so we’re hoping for somewhere not too far from Weston on the way back, nice but not majorly expensive (burnham costing a small fortune!), maybe £30-40 ish.

Any suggestions?

Try Minchampton or Cleeve Hill

Captain_Black.

Visit site
Best courses in Bristol for a reasonable price are.
1. Chipping Sodbury
2. The Kendleshire
3. The Players
4. Long Ashton
5. Bristol & Clifton

Or Bath
1. Cumberwell Park
2. Bath Golf Club (Sham Castle)
3. Kingsdown

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Curve ball... Ross on Wye is £37 after 3pm. Not far off M5

Your budget is limiting.. also have a look at Thornbury. It's no Wentworth, but if you want cheap.. it is, and not toooo bad😄

Painswick is a good shout, but it's slightly nuts, but that is what makes it worth playing

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I've been looking at online prices for a Sunday.

Minchinhampton £95
Cleeve Hill £50

Painswick £22.50 if you are a 4-ball. On a Sunday!

Let us know if you choose Painswick.
I would consider booking an adjacent time and asking/hoping 3 others would join me.

Painswick04.jpg

wjemather

Visit site
I've been looking at online prices for a Sunday.

Minchinhampton £95
Cleeve Hill £50

Painswick £22.50 if you are a 4-ball. On a Sunday!

Let us know if you choose Painswick.
I would consider booking an adjacent time and asking/hoping 3 others would join me.
Minchinhampton Old is £35, £30 with a County Card. £95 is for Minchinhampton New (Avening & Cherrington courses).
Cleeve Hill have hiked up their green fees this year but is £40 after midday, and a hotdeal can be had on GolfNow for £31.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I know it's on the common and the quirkiness is the usp, but when I played the Old last year, the greens were in a shocking state. Anyone been recently? We have all the Minch courses as Reciprocals. Thankfully the game was "free."
That said, the layout is still worth a look

D-S

Visit site
Just a slight warning re Painswick on a Sunday, you sometimes get a lot of walkers and picinicers if it’s a nice day. However it is a great bit of fun if slightly bonkers.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Just a slight warning re Painswick on a Sunday, you sometimes get a lot of walkers and picinicers if it’s a nice day. However it is a great bit of fun if slightly bonkers.
And the walkers get a lot of golfers interfering with their day out.

I found all the walkers and golfers showing each other due courtesy when I was there 2 years ago. No great problems.
It is part of the experience. Golfers have to show other golfers courtesy on the shared fairways. No one is there to cause other people distress.
You just need to be tolerant and understand your own and other people's rights and responsibilities.
I had my own picnic in my golf bag.
You might feel you are wasting time waiting to play shots. But it is a short yardage course over all and not an excessively long time to spend there.
The par-3s are fantastic.

D-S

Visit site
And the walkers get a lot of golfers interfering with their day out.

I found all the walkers and golfers showing each other due courtesy when I was there 2 years ago. No great problems.
It is part of the experience. Golfers have to show other golfers courtesy on the shared fairways. No one is there to cause other people distress.
You just need to be tolerant and understand your own and other people's rights and responsibilities.
I had my own picnic in my golf bag.
You might feel you are wasting time waiting to play shots. But it is a short yardage course over all and not an excessively long time to spend there.
The par-3s are fantastic.
A bit tricky to be incredibly patient when a group were setting up a picnic on one of the greens though. Luckily there are no bunkers for the kids to play in. As you say wonderful when everyone is aware and sensible, but as in many areas of life not everyone is. I am really glad you had no issues in your one visit. I have played there a few times and it is not always as simple.

Chemas001

Visit site
I know it's on the common and the quirkiness is the usp, but when I played the Old last year, the greens were in a shocking state. Anyone been recently? We have all the Minch courses as Reciprocals. Thankfully the game was "free."
That said, the layout is still worth a look
Can happily say that the greens are far better than they were last summer, obviously the wet spring and summer has helped and there aren’t as many cows out at the moment.

Good growing weather for the greens also means the rough is brutal though and we get a lot more walkers on the fairways because of this.