Course Record.... Or not.....

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Maybe for a higher handicapper but a player off 3 probably plays every round in a similar fashion to Medal because they don't have the margin for error.

I disagree, a 3hc player's shot decision may differ when playing Stableford especially at holes SI ,1,2,3. Different situation with a scratch player though.

Ian_Bristol

Head Pro
Visit site
If you were playing stableford why would you putt out if you were hanging over the edge of the hole so who's to say this didn't happen during the low scoring round, yes the person would have made these short putts but did they.

CheltenhamHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you were playing stableford why would you putt out if you were hanging over the edge of the hole so who's to say this didn't happen during the low scoring round, yes the person would have made these short putts but did they.

Sorry, what? If it's a qual comp, you would like to think they putted out whether medal or stableford!!

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Because you would not score if you did not putt out. Please explain why you think stableford is any different to medal when it comes to holing out in a qualifying competition.

HDID Kenny

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We had a young left handed player set a new course record at Glenbervie in the Wednesday Medal, 62 playing off 2, 9 under par, 7 birdies & 1 eagle, impressive stuff.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
There's a slightly different mind set between Stableford and medal play IMHO. I.e , do I go for a safe par or risk a double bogey , try for birdie , eagle or double eagle lol..

I agree,,, but think a lowest score should be the guy who's knocked it round the course in the least shots... regardless of his 'mind set'.

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site

Because stableford is stroke play and that is a rule of stroke play! THERE ARE NO GIMMES REGARDLESS OF RANGE, YOU MUST HOLE OUT IF YOU WANT THE SCORE TO COUNT.

As for the OP.

If it was purely down to mentality caused by format is that not like saying you can't have the course record because you played on a flat calm day and the previous record was set on a windy rainy day, or the pins were in easier locations for this round.

If he shot the score in a qualifying competition conditions from the same tees then it should stand.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Totally up to the club, the players should not decide what a course record is, it needs to be someone somewhat independent of them.

While I kind of agree that it is up to the club, I really struggle to see how anyone can even consider it to not be the course record :confused: The fella shot 65 in a qualifying strokeplay competition. It makes not a jot of difference what the competion format is to the number of strokes taken.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Well you can take a 15 on any hole and still win a stableford.
Unlikely to do that and win a medal
So different mindset.

Assuming the guy holed out, his score should still stand as a course record

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Why do you believe it's a good decision ?

Well at least it's consistent with decision Misc./1 (Rule 34) - which is probably why the club have it this way.

Personally I would take the view that as soon as someone's getting close to a course record, any possible benefits associated with playing par or stableford formats go out the window but I can see the logic in restricting it to medal play alone.