Course Recommendations Warrington

Mday96

Visit site
Hoping to tap into some local knowledge...

I’m moving to Birchwood in Warrington soon so I’ll be looking for a new club. The new house backs on to Birchwood golf course but the reviews look a bit iffy.

I’m after an 18 holer with good greens that’s well looked after. I don’t know anyone in the area so one with a decent schedule of comps to get to know people is a must too really.

Any tips on building up a phonebook of playing partners in a new area would be appreciated too!

Thanks in advance

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ola! Few of us the Warrington area on here! Below are my thoughts....

Birchwood - OK, good value for money and a real members club with plenty always going in in the bar, rugby footy on etc! Don't like how you have to cross roads all the time though.
Lymm - used to be a member here (our kid still is) . Great course and club. Decent layout with friendly members. Tough tree lined course, with a heathland feel to the top 8 holes... Always in hood condition, have to use winter mats off fairways.
Warrington - again, a good layout, especially the front 9. Has the reputation of being an old style members club with circa 1k joining fee and a waiting list.
Blundells hill - where I play now! Great lay out, no winter mats or joining fee. Good test, maybe not as tidy as Lymm or Warrington but the greens are certainly just as good, if not better.
Mersey Valley - cheapest option, not played it in a while but used to have the reputation of not being the greatest.
High Legh Park - doing quite well as a club. New owners have invested a lot in terms of course and facilities. Also has good quality driving range, practice facilities and American Golf on Site. No joining fee, but is always quite a busy course
You are also pretty close to Haydock Park and Ashton in Makerfield and if you fancied splashing the cash and didn't mind driving a bit further a field then you could look at Sandiway or Delamere....

I think all of these have a decent comp calendar.

If you ever fancy a game, give us a shout....

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I played Warrington about 20 years ago. I remember that liked it, some very interesting holes. I also remember not being allowed to hit driver on one of the holes, 18?

Mday96

Visit site
Ola! Few of us the Warrington area on here! Below are my thoughts....

Birchwood - OK, good value for money and a real members club with plenty always going in in the bar, rugby footy on etc! Don't like how you have to cross roads all the time though.
Lymm - used to be a member here (our kid still is) . Great course and club. Decent layout with friendly members. Tough tree lined course, with a heathland feel to the top 8 holes... Always in hood condition, have to use winter mats off fairways.
Warrington - again, a good layout, especially the front 9. Has the reputation of being an old style members club with circa 1k joining fee and a waiting list.
Blundells hill - where I play now! Great lay out, no winter mats or joining fee. Good test, maybe not as tidy as Lymm or Warrington but the greens are certainly just as good, if not better.
Mersey Valley - cheapest option, not played it in a while but used to have the reputation of not being the greatest.
High Legh Park - doing quite well as a club. New owners have invested a lot in terms of course and facilities. Also has good quality driving range, practice facilities and American Golf on Site. No joining fee, but is always quite a busy course
You are also pretty close to Haydock Park and Ashton in Makerfield and if you fancied splashing the cash and didn't mind driving a bit further a field then you could look at Sandiway or Delamere....

I think all of these have a decent comp calendar.

If you ever fancy a game, give us a shout....

Thanks a lot for this Karl. Really appreciated!

If the members are a good bunch I might have written birchwood off too soon tbh so I'll probably play a couple of rounds there and see how I get on.

Not sure the Mrs will approve of me putting a gate in the back fence to walk straight onto the course but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Will give you a shout once we're moved and settled and get a game in though

Diamond

Visit site
Hoping to tap into some local knowledge...

I’m moving to Birchwood in Warrington soon so I’ll be looking for a new club. The new house backs on to Birchwood golf course but the reviews look a bit iffy.

I’m after an 18 holer with good greens that’s well looked after. I don’t know anyone in the area so one with a decent schedule of comps to get to know people is a must too really.

Any tips on building up a phonebook of playing partners in a new area would be appreciated too!

Thanks in advance

I live 10 minutes from Birchwood but it’s the only course I haven’t played. I am a member at Leigh which is 5 minutes drive from Birchwood, it’s a good track and the greens are superb at the moment. I have heard that the craic is good at Birchwood. Warrington is probably the best course as it drains really well in the winter having been built on sand but there is a waiting list and Registration Fee.
The comment about High Leigh is true, the facilities are excellent but it is known to get very wet in winter.
Lymm I played 12 holes on last year and really enjoyed it, there seemed to be a lot of holes closed over winter as only 12/13 holes open a lot of the time, we did have a bad winter though.
Poulton is close to you which is 9 holes but a nice little track with a chip and pin area. Mere will be about 20 minutes drive for you but is about £2.5k a year as is Dunham (30 mins drive).
If your house backs onto Birchwood it’s going to take some beating.?

Oh and Croft driving Range will be about 2 minutes drive away from your house, £3 for 40 balls or £5 for 100. Rough and ready but does the job.

Mday96

Visit site
I live 10 minutes from Birchwood but it’s the only course I haven’t played. I am a member at Leigh which is 5 minutes drive from Birchwood, it’s a good track and the greens are superb at the moment. I have heard that the craic is good at Birchwood. Warrington is probably the best course as it drains really well in the winter having been built on sand but there is a waiting list and Registration Fee.
The comment about High Leigh is true, the facilities are excellent but it is known to get very wet in winter.
Lymm I played 12 holes on last year and really enjoyed it, there seemed to be a lot of holes closed over winter as only 12/13 holes open a lot of the time, we did have a bad winter though.
Poulton is close to you which is 9 holes but a nice little track with a chip and pin area. Mere will be about 20 minutes drive for you but is about £2.5k a year as is Dunham (30 mins drive).
If your house backs onto Birchwood it’s going to take some beating.?

Oh and Croft driving Range will be about 2 minutes drive away from your house, £3 for 40 balls or £5 for 100. Rough and ready but does the job.

Thanks for the reply mate. Appreciate it.

For £750 if there's plenty going on and the members don't take themselves too seriously it feels like the best bet for what I'm after

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's gre
Thanks for the reply mate. Appreciate it.

For £750 if there's plenty going on and the members don't take themselves too seriously it feels like the best bet for what I'm after

It's great value for money given most in the area! , just doesn't hold up well in the winter...