Course Recommendation Between Manchester and Walesland!

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Two of us are planning to drive from Edinburgh down to Chepstow this Saturday for a few days golf there. Thought it might be good to break the journey with a game en route.

Probably would want to get a good chunk of the journey over before stopping so past Manchester at least I think.

Anyone suggest a course that's not too much of a detour from the M6 or M5 where we might manage to get a game?

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
With all the recent rain that we've had in the North West most inland courses are on the on the back foot condition wise right now.With that in mind I really think you'd struggle to find anywhere better than Delamere.
Its probably about a 20min detour off the M6.
Its A Fantastic course, you wouldnt be dissapointed.

xreyuk

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I played Mossock Hall near Ormskirk, about 15 minutes off the M6. It's a pretty good quality course, quite young, but considering the rain recently, I was shocked at how good condition it was in. They have quite a top drainage system in place.

Not a hard course, was quite fun, and the members are nice.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Two of us are planning to drive from Edinburgh down to Chepstow this Saturday for a few days golf there. Thought it might be good to break the journey with a game en route.

Probably would want to get a good chunk of the journey over before stopping so past Manchester at least I think.

Anyone suggest a course that's not too much of a detour from the M6 or M5 where we might manage to get a game?

Hopefully some kind Sasanach/Outlander will offer you a freebie somewhere suitable , as you would yourself :thup:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
There are a few that are on sand based soils, like Delamere Forest or Beau Desert and maybe even Frodsham too, that might be a better choice than some of the clay based courses around there.

D

Deleted Member 1156

How about taking the M6/M40 route then along the M4. That would take you past Frilford Heath near Oxford which drains very well so no drainage issues there. Slightly off your chosen route but just throwing it out there.

D

Deleted member 3432

Its way further north but you can't cross the border without a detour to Silloth on Solway:thup:

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
There are a few that are on sand based soils, like Delamere Forest or Beau Desert and maybe even Frodsham too, that might be a better choice than some of the clay based courses around there.

Beau always get a huge thumbs up from me. Always in great condition and drains as well as any inland course

Most west midlands courses will be boggy now but Beau is still mint, the only problem when it's torrential is that most greens have big slopes/swales so the low points flood... but they do recover vey well

:thup:

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
How about taking the M6/M40 route then along the M4. That would take you past Frilford Heath near Oxford which drains very well so no drainage issues there. Slightly off your chosen route but just throwing it out there.

Bit of a wildcard! Adds almost 2 hours to the trip though so probably not.