Course Etiquette - Am I wrong?

GaryK

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Played a round on my own today and things didn't start great.
Arrived 15 minutes before my tee off time and got on the practise green as you do, but a couple of minutes before my tee time a couple of guys just walked up to the 1st and tee'd off.
No biggie for me as the course was really quiet and I decided to start from the 10th.

Started closing in on another couple of guys who then waited for me on the 14th and invited me to play through, so I did just that.
Got to the par 3 15th and the threesome in front were just off the green.
Got to the 16th and two of the group had tee'd off, no acknowledgement that I was there (as a single).
On the 17th, only one had played, but still no acknowledgement or invite to play through.
One of the guys hit a slice into heavy rough, so the 3 of them go hunting, but don't wave me through.
18th - none of them had started, but I still had to wait.

After I holed out on the 18th, I went to the clubhouse and politely said that I was not happy that they had not offered me through.
One of the guys said that they were playing in a comp (mid week stableford rollup) and that they had precedence.
Now if it were a busy comp or the course was rammed, then I'd take that, but other than the 2 guys on the 14th and the threesome, I hardly saw anyone else on the course.

Who was in the right and who was in the wrong?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Played a round on my own today and things didn't start great.
Arrived 15 minutes before my tee off time and got on the practise green as you do, but a couple of minutes before my tee time a couple of guys just walked up to the 1st and tee'd off.
No biggie for me as the course was really quiet and I decided to start from the 10th.

Started closing in on another couple of guys who then waited for me on the 14th and invited me to play through, so I did just that.
Got to the par 3 15th and the threesome in front were just off the green.
Got to the 16th and two of the group had tee'd off, no acknowledgement that I was there (as a single).
On the 17th, only one had played, but still no acknowledgement or invite to play through.
One of the guys hit a slice into heavy rough, so the 3 of them go hunting, but don't wave me through.
18th - none of them had started, but I still had to wait.

After I holed out on the 18th, I went to the clubhouse and politely said that I was not happy that they had not offered me through.
One of the guys said that they were playing in a comp (mid week stableford rollup) and that they had precedence.
Now if it were a busy comp or the course was rammed, then I'd take that, but other than the 2 guys on the 14th and the threesome, I hardly saw anyone else on the course.

Who was in the right and who was in the wrong?

in theory they prob do, but in practice you could have been though them no problem.... never to be seen again.. Poor from them all the same.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
You should just have suggested that they looked at the latest version of the R&A ettiquette section where the precedence for competition play has now been removed, as has the lack of ststus for singles. (Well they were removed some time ago but it takes a time for some people to find these things out...)

Rustique

Hacker
Visit site
I often play on my own but don't have your problem however I am fully aware as a single player I have no standing on the course so no right to play through
I relied on good manners and understanding from fellow members or play around them by jumping holes if possible
I wouldn't say they are in the wrong but could have let you through
Just my Hubble opinion mate
Thanks
Phil

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Unfortunately common decency, being courteous and sensible have been sacrificed at the altar of being right and people having 'rights.' (Although, as post 3 highlights, not right on this occasion!)

Common sense would have been to let you through but that oh so important competition obviously makes people think they can behave like numpties.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I often play on my own but don't have your problem however I am fully aware as a single player I have no standing on the course so no right to play

But you do have standing as a single player, and slower groups in front are required to observe the etiquette of the rule book and ket you through.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I often play on my own but don't have your problem however I am fully aware as a single player I have no standing on the course so no right to play through
I relied on good manners and understanding from fellow members or play around them by jumping holes if possible
I wouldn't say they are in the wrong but could have let you through
Just my Hubble opinion mate
Thanks
Phil

Yes you do have standing as a single

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
As others have said, single golfers have equal standing on a course. I checked my club handbook and it specifically mentions that point.

Ignorance from the other golfers, you were right.

GaryK

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks for confirming guys - had I of been in the wrong, I would happily offer my apologies next time I saw any of them on the course.
Just wish that I had been a bit more abusive now! :rofl:

BTW, can anyone provide a link the the ruling, because when I mentioned it to our pro, he told me that singles have no standing, but agreed that common sense and decency would have seen them play me through.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
That's great to know as I'm still in the dark age by the look of things
Guess that's playing on my own for you
ThanksGuys

It was that way for many years. My FiL still thinks it is the case even though I have corrected him many times. Plenty out there still spreading the myth so don't beat yourself up about it 😁.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Thanks for confirming guys - had I of been in the wrong, I would happily offer my apologies next time I saw any of them on the course.
Just wish that I had been a bit more abusive now! :rofl:

BTW, can anyone provide a link the the ruling, because when I mentioned it to our pro, he told me that singles have no standing, but agreed that common sense and decency would have seen them play me through.

I find Pros at times can be the worse to ask about rulings. Competition secretary or anyone on his/her sub committee are the ones ask.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
I just ask if I can play through and no one has said no, I normally say I'll get you on the next one if I'm putting and they are teeing off but I just get waved though anyway

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I can see the OP's frustration especially on a near empty course. However I know some courses still suggest that matches and competitions have precedence. Whether that is right or wrong is a different argument but if the one in question has made that decision then three ball would have been right. That said, there is still nothing to say common sense can't prevail and they could have let him through anyway.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As far as I’m concerned, there’s no discussion point here at all.

Regardless of whether they thought a single had no standing or whether they were playing in a comp, they should have let you through. Not because you had a right to be let through, but simply because it’s the decent thing that 90% or more, would do every time.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Etiquette is a bugbear of mine. I think Golf Clubs need to take greater responsibility in "educating" golfers.

It plays a huge role in slow play and other issues.

D

Deleted member 16999

As far as I’m concerned, there’s no discussion point here at all.

Regardless of whether they thought a single had no standing or whether they were playing in a comp, they should have let you through. Not because you had a right to be let through, but simply because it’s the decent thing that 90% or more, would do every time.
^This for me^
Although I do know one course in the NE that states in their Club Rules that Singles have no standing on the course.