Course design you dislike.

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Blind tee shots can be a pain the first time you play there, but after that it means you can commit to the shot.

Not a fan of run off areas where they have left it rough half way into the run off. Just lazy.

Big peev is fake fountains in a lake. Why. Just why?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Blind tee shots can be a pain the first time you play there, but after that it means you can commit to the shot.

Not a fan of run off areas where they have left it rough half way into the run off. Just lazy.

Big peev is fake fountains in a lake. Why. Just why?
I think they are to circulate the water so algae dosnt build up.
Don’t know how true it is.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
I agree on stupid carries that mean that a high handicapper can‘t make it ... sheer arrogance on the part of the designer. I also agree on blind shots too.
There should be lots of teeing options if this is the case. I’ve not yet been affected by any carry (unless I’ve hit a duff shot) so don’t mind these.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I disagree , if you hit your tee shot in the middle of the fairway you should be in the middle of the fairway not in a bunker.
Other opinions are avaliable though.

But it isn't the middle of the fairway if there's a bunker there :)

Eg 16th at Bowood. 2 routes round the central bunker. Choose the one you can make.....and fire

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not really about the course itself, but course guides , either online or shotsavers, which helpfully tell you that ‘long and straight is the key on this hole’. Really?????

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Eg 16th at Bowood. 2 routes round the central bunker. Choose the one you can make.....and fire
I'm with you on this. Whilst i wouldn't want them on every hole, a central (or just off centre) bunker brings a whole lot of decision making into the tee shot. Layup/long shot in, which side has the best angle into the pin? etc etc. It's good to think every now and then.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The Old Course

I’m joking I loved it. Design peeve for me other than blind shots is putting two long holes too close together, both of which play so they sit to the right of each other - and separated by a strip of trees no wider than a mini. It’s just dangerous.

Other than that I don’t mind quirky designs as a one off but let me play proper golf where good shots and strategy are rewarded please. Anyone who designs in tricks that punish a good shot is not a good designer imo.

D

Deleted member 1147

Not what I dislike, but what a course should be, in my opinion:

Doglegs both ways
Mixture of straight and doglegs
Par 3s varying from 140 to 210
Par 4s varying from 290 to 480
Par 5s varying from 490 to 570
Shorter risk and reward holes and long slog holes which go in all directions, so as to use different winds

If a course has the above I’m happy

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Well I appreciate that's not ideal for her, but not every course is designed so that everyone can play it.
Some courses need a bit of a carry.
Chiswick par 3 started to cut a lot more fairway and it became more enjoyable all way around. Good players are always going for the green anyway but I was able to duff a shot and have a go at the green on my 2nd shot.
They still have punishing rough green side, but the fairways now make it available to all skill levels.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

There is about 10yds either side of this bunker and then just stuff you don’t want to visit.

sammyboy

Visit site
Never before have I read such moaning. I'm sorry if that upsets some people or makes me unpopular. But you all seem to want golf to be incredibly easy and utterly boring.

Lets' break it down:

1. Bling tee shots. These add excitement and make you questions which club to use. Most competent golfers can drill a 4 iron straight from the tee. Or they can take the chance with a driver. In the day of GPS apps on phones it's not really blind anyway. I have a garmin one which was free with my rangefinder and is great. So it's a total none issue.

2. Long par 3's. What we are really talking about a longish approach with a ball perfectly teed up. I'm far from a good golfer but who said we should always be aiming to make greens in regulation? On a 220 yard par 3, I might even chose to lay up. So for me it can be a 5 iron and lob wedge or a 3 hybrid depending on how I'm feeling. Again this makes the game more fun.

3. Having to actually carry to make a fairway. Err if you are struggling to carry your driver 170 yards onto the short grass perhaps you deserve to be in the rough. For brand new golfers and invalids I'm sure this isn't so much fun. But they also have driving ranges to practice on. I can't imagine the standard of regular golfer who winces when they get on a tee if they have to carry a bit of grass or water.

4. Hole which don't suit your preferred shot shape. Either learn how to shape the ball both ways or take a shorter club twice.

5. Bunkers your ball can actually go in. Either learn to direct your ball so it doesn't go in the bunker. Or learn how to play in the bunker. Similar to trees in the fairway. Just set yourself up so they are not a problem. If you can't then you are probably not very good (like me) and deserve a poor score.

Without being rude these whinges seem to be more about hackers not being able to shoot level par and make 18 greens in regulation than actual problems with golf courses. Golf shouldn't just be about swinging clubs. It's a game of chess, calculating what the best move is and plotting the move ahead. I'd give up the game if courses were the type which most of the people on here want.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Never before have I read such moaning. I'm sorry if that upsets some people or makes me unpopular. But you all seem to want golf to be incredibly easy and utterly boring.

Lets' break it down:

1. Bling tee shots. These add excitement and make you questions which club to use. Most competent golfers can drill a 4 iron straight from the tee. Or they can take the chance with a driver. In the day of GPS apps on phones it's not really blind anyway. I have a garmin one which was free with my rangefinder and is great. So it's a total none issue.

2. Long par 3's. What we are really talking about a longish approach with a ball perfectly teed up. I'm far from a good golfer but who said we should always be aiming to make greens in regulation? On a 220 yard par 3, I might even chose to lay up. So for me it can be a 5 iron and lob wedge or a 3 hybrid depending on how I'm feeling. Again this makes the game more fun.

3. Having to actually carry to make a fairway. Err if you are struggling to carry your driver 170 yards onto the short grass perhaps you deserve to be in the rough. For brand new golfers and invalids I'm sure this isn't so much fun. But they also have driving ranges to practice on. I can't imagine the standard of regular golfer who winces when they get on a tee if they have to carry a bit of grass or water.

4. Hole which don't suit your preferred shot shape. Either learn how to shape the ball both ways or take a shorter club twice.

5. Bunkers your ball can actually go in. Either learn to direct your ball so it doesn't go in the bunker. Or learn how to play in the bunker. Similar to trees in the fairway. Just set yourself up so they are not a problem. If you can't then you are probably not very good (like me) and deserve a poor score.

Without being rude these whinges seem to be more about hackers not being able to shoot level par and make 18 greens in regulation than actual problems with golf courses. Golf shouldn't just be about swinging clubs. It's a game of chess, calculating what the best move is and plotting the move ahead. I'd give up the game if courses were the type which most of the people on here want.
It’s a golf forum!!
A question was asked . Several different opinions were expressed.
What’s the problem with that .
It’s not moaning ,just giving an opinion.
Good player or hacker it’s an opinion, if we could control the ball not to go in hazards every time like you suggest they wouldn’t bother us.

sammyboy

Visit site
It’s a golf forum!!
A question was asked . Several different opinions were expressed.
What’s the problem with that .
It’s not moaning ,just giving an opinion.
Good player or hacker it’s an opinion, if we could control the ball not to go in hazards every time like you suggest they wouldn’t bother us.

And if the ball never went in the hazard it wouldn't be very much fun would it? The challenge is dealing with the obstacles, not eliminating them.