Counter balanced driver shafts?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I’ve recently got hold of a speed zone drive which I believe is fitted with a counter balanced tensi shaft. what are the gains/theories behind the counter balanced shaft as I have another shaft I feel like trying which isn’t c/balanced

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
My limited knowledge is counterbalancing drops swingweight a little and can increase swingspeed.

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I’ve recently got hold of a speed zone drive which I believe is fitted with a counter balanced tensi shaft. what are the gains/theories behind the counter balanced shaft as I have another shaft I feel like trying which isn’t c/balanced
From simple mechanics, counterbalanced shafts should result in (slightly) higher swing speeds - at the clubhead - than an equivalent non-counterbalanced shaft.
They might feel more 'whippy' than other shafts, though that can be moderated.
And FWIW, While 'Counterbalanced' seems like something that can be adjusted, it is exactly the same thing as 'High Balance Point', so perhaps another example of the Marketing-speak around Golf!

Last edited:

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Cheers guys, I’ve dropped the black tie in for a bounce game tomorrow so let’s see what happens.

Foxholer, like you I’m sceptical about the terminology and the marketing around it. For years swing speed has always improved with a lighter shaft.

Brats, cheers for the links… I guess you’ll find out if it works or not Monday ?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Foxholer, like you I’m sceptical about the terminology and the marketing around it. For years swing speed has always improved with a lighter shaft.
To me, it's a 'design effect' that the marketeers have leaped on as something to push! I have little doubt that it actually works - if the shaft actually suits a player. If suited, the higher balance point should result in a faster clubhead speed, generating some extra distance. Just how much extra is what has to found out.
I've never actually tried a designated CB-ed shaft, but imagine that the feel would actually make me swing slower - as I have done with shafts with softer mid sections - thus counteracting the design effect! Don't let my 'experience' influence your approach though. I hope you find a shaft that performs well and you are comfortable with. It's often individual preferences/traits that make one shaft work better than another, supposedly more suitable, one.

Last edited:

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The tensi is a lovely shaft but it does make the head feel exceptionally light, I’ve been hitting it well. When I had the f8 I purchased a 50g black tie after watching a cross field video abd since selling the club it’s sat in the garage. It’s merely a round to see if the lighter black tie should remain in the garage or if it improves the great club further.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I posted this & nobody responded so I forgot to post my conclusions https://forums.golfmonthly.com/threads/counterbalanced-driver-shaft-anyone.111009/

After some extensive on course testing I just don't know, I'm not consistent enough to tell, especially as I haven't been hitting it too well off the tee recently.

However, I'm being fitted for a TM Stealth a week on Sunday & hitting it well just now so we're going to try various shafts (I have 4!) & see which performs best.

By the way, at one time the Black Tie was my all time favourite shaft. It tamed my high, spinny flight & I only got rid of it when I needed a Senior shaft. It has a standard butt & mid section, apparently & a very stiff tip, which I think influences the spin. Miyazaki used to list "International Flex Code" charts indicating the stiffness of shafts at four different points & a regular flex Black Tie has a stiffer tip than a lot of stiff flex shafts. Not a shaft for anyone who can't get the ball in the air.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Cheers guys, I’ve dropped the black tie in for a bounce game tomorrow so let’s see what happens.

Brats, cheers for the links… I guess you’ll find out if it works or not Monday ?
Can't wait. You got a senior shaft in the garage too? ??

D

Deleted member 23270

I've got a counterbalanced driver shaft, genuinely can't feel any difference.

Hope that helps ?

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of the stock shafts available for the PXG drivers is counter balanced ( PX evenflow riptide CB).
I'm going to chat with fitters tomorrow to see what he thinks ( they got my iron fitting spot on).

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
One of the stock shafts available for the PXG drivers is counter balanced ( PX evenflow riptide CB).
I'm going to chat with fitters tomorrow to see what he thinks ( they got my iron fitting spot on).

I purchased the PXG 0341 fairways with the shaft you mentioned (online purchase) as the only alternative was stiff flex, they were not for me, at the range I could get them going but they were so different to my shafts I couldn't was completely useless with them in a round.
Now sorted, changed to the same as my driver, all spot on.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
They've suggested this one :

HZRDUS Blue RDX 60R - RDX is the newest addition to the HZRDUS line featuring a new composite technology. The Smoke Blue RDX is a counterbalanced option with a stiff tip section, promoting a stable feel and lighter swing weight for more speed.