Count back

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
Reading the count back thread on the rules forum got me mulling over a pet niggle of mine.

When I started playing club golf I never knew about count back until I was edged out of a competition win very early on in my career. I remember being pretty miffed by this and immediately took against the practice although understood, when explained, why it was necessary.

Since that time I have both suffered and benefitted at the hands of this method of deadlock breaking, and whether it's a win or a runner up decision I always feel uneasy about it. As if it's unsatisfactory whatever the outcome.

Are there any alternative methods to sort out ties (without sudden death playoffs or decider rounds etc.) that anyone knows of, or does count back go back to the dawn of time.

Just curious really.

SVB

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I've got through a KO round of the toss of a coin when we ran out of light. That really is an unsatisfactory feeling all round but is another method I suppose!

DCB

Visit site
We have certain strokeplay competitions, three of our major comps, where an eighteen hole strokeplay play-off round is required if the comp ends in a tie.

NNo problem with countback for normal comps, it's stated in the club comp rules, so, you take your chance.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
*fight, fight* Can I suggest that whoever has the lowest gross wins... a bit different, and radical

*awaits the usual, "it's only coz you're a low-ish handicapper" rant*

Actually, that's not my intention at all. I just feel that rather than have an artificial calculation in these circumstances, why not just reward whoever played the best (real) golf...

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
*fight, fight* Can I suggest that whoever has the lowest gross wins... a bit different, and radical

Actually, that's not my intention at all. I just feel that rather than have an artificial calculation in these circumstances, why not just reward whoever played the best (real) golf...

The player who plays the best golf being rewarded? Now there's a damn good idea, can't see it catching on though.

At the end of the day, any method of breaking a tie that doesn't actually relate to playing golf is just the luck of the draw, countback is as good as any method.

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Why is using countback to determine a winner anymore artificial that applying handicaps in the first place? If you want to play in a comp where the person who scored the lowest gross score wins, you can enter a scratch comp. If you need to use countback then saying lowest gross wins, means the lower (and ultimately) better player will always win won't they?

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Why is using countback to determine a winner anymore artificial that applying handicaps in the first place? If you want to play in a comp where the person who scored the lowest gross score wins, you can enter a scratch comp. If you need to use countback then saying lowest gross wins, means the lower (and ultimately) better player will always win won't they?

I honestly can't see a problem with that, but I know I am in the minority.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site

Wouldnt have helped me either way this week. Lost to CVG on count back because the rank bandit shot a +2 22 points on the back to my +4 17.......pesky 12 handicappers!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I use to hate countback especially getting mugged by a genial Irishman at the Forest of Arden Then I beat RickG at Camberley by the same method last year so I'm warming to it. I don't really know how you'd settle most club events without it. I can't see too many wanting a play off just to sort out the monthly stableford but you have to be fair to the handicap golfer having a good day and the better plaers too. Another area where you'll never please everyone

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I use to hate countback especially getting mugged by a genial Irishman at the Forest of Arden Then I beat RickG at Camberley by the same method last year so I'm warming to it. I don't really know how you'd settle most club events without it. I can't see too many wanting a play off just to sort out the monthly stableford but you have to be fair to the handicap golfer having a good day and the better plaers too. Another area where you'll never please everyone

I think we are all aware you beat Rick but to be honest that was the time his aura started to wain.
So to be blunt you can stop mentioning it now its starting to get boring.its sounding like its
your only ever win.

Also you get a lot of shots so its not such a great victory.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think we are all aware you beat Rick but to be honest that was the time his aura started to wain.
So to be blunt you can stop mentioning it now its starting to get boring.its sounding like its
your only ever win.

Also you get a lot of shots so its not such a great victory.

Says the man with the Southwest KoK regional winner 2014 in his signature :thup:

D

Deleted member 15344

Don't worry you would be safe, PJ would shoot at Phil.:)

I'm safe then :D

PS - PJ does have a point about going on about a win over 12 months later - it's like coming second and saying its a success :D - I call second first loser :D

PPS can't make Blackmoor on the 8th :(