Corporate Golf - Do's and Don'ts?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
My old boy has been invited to a corporate golf day with one of our forklift/MHV suppliers.

He's been asked to bring a 'friend' and has asked if I'd like to join him.

The company in question has advised that we'll be playing either Beau Desert GC or Forest of Arden on the 28th of this month (... Which also happens to be my birthday :whoo: ).

The company taking us have advised that it's an "All expences paid" day out, which is nice.

Now, I've been on works society days and one previous corporate day, but having said that, it was very, very informal.

Are there any "Do's and Don'ts" when it comes to corporte golf?

dontfancythisputt

Club Champion
Visit site
Dont thin a pitch on the 18th in front of the whole field, leaving you to retrieve your ball from inside bar behind the green..not a good look i can tell you! its a good job the patio doors were open!

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Don't say how much you rate the competition. Do say how much you love their forklifts :)

Otherwise relax and enjoy the day but don't charge to the bar yelling "yippee, free beer"!

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Be sure to find the boss of the company and start making fun of his clothes and golf swing. The others will absolutely love you for it. Don't forget that after sinking a putt that you point at your FCs and snarl whilst shouting, "In your face, eat that". But even if you forget this BE SURE to complain about the standard of the greens, bunkers, food and beer. It will show that you're a particular gentleman who has taste, style and a good eye for quality.

Enjoy!

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Courtesy of that other thread about how to act like a pro...

Do remember that after marking ball on green that you toss it to an FC asking them to clean that for you! :D

But seriously I'd just go and enjoy the day with a common sense approach to whats right and wrong

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Don't expect to win unless your about 20 under your "so called handicap" for the day :D

These sort of things are pretty laid back from my experience and barely anybody is interested in work crap :whoo:

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Do expect to play with someone off a self-proclaimed 13 who takes 9 holes to warm up and then comes back in 1 over par. .

:D

I'd back that up, every one I've been on you always get the 'well I haven't played in 5 years and I used to be off 10 ish I think, so I'll play off 15' who then proceeds to go round in one over gross.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Don't take the mick at the bar afterwards.. I once watched one old fettler walk up to a free bar, ask the barman to take the bottle of Laphroaig from the top shelf and pour the entire contents (1/2 a bottle) into a large glass.. There are always people who will abuse the hospitality, don't be one..

mcbroon

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
:D

I'd back that up, every one I've been on you always get the 'well I haven't played in 5 years and I used to be off 10 ish I think, so I'll play off 15' who then proceeds to go round in one over gross.

I have actually been that guy :eek:

Before I was a member of a club with an official h/c, I played a corporate day and allocated myself 13. Went out in 48 or something, contributing nothing to the match, which turned with us 4 down. Came back in +1 and won 1 up on the last green. FC's were far from happy - one refused to shake my hand.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Don't take the mick at the bar afterwards.. I once watched one old fettler walk up to a free bar, ask the barman to take the bottle of Laphroaig from the top shelf and pour the entire contents (1/2 a bottle) into a large glass.. There are always people who will abuse the hospitality, don't be one..

Seen that before, went to an event and one bloke wanted a glass of wine. His mate came back with a bottle each for them as it was 'free'. They then had a glass each out of the bottles and just left them on the table. Saw the same pair leaving the bar an hour later having just ordered another bottle each.