Course Suggestions - south west (Gloucester) and surrounding areas

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Afternoon all,

I've been tasked with arranging a company golf day, so are looking for course suggestions which cover the following criteria;

- not terrible course :D
- accept and suit mixed abilities of golfer
- Not miles from Gloucester area (hour's drive-ish, would be willing to go further if it's worth it)
- food package (lunch/carvery/similar) included would be a bonus.
- would look to do a weekday during June or July most likely (although later in year not an issue if there's no availability before)

There won't be a huge number of us (we're only a small company) - so would be 2-3 4 balls, *maybe* a maximum of 4. So not a standard corporate society day.

Any help/1st hand suggestions greatly appreciated!

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
depending on how your group like a walk, Cleeve Hill would be worth a shout. Suitable for all abilities, as it’s pretty wide open. Very cost effective, and they’ll sort food out with you too. 30 mins from Gloucester.

it’s a pretty hilly walk though, so depends if that is suitable for you all!

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
depending on how your group like a walk, Cleeve Hill would be worth a shout. Suitable for all abilities, as it’s pretty wide open. Very cost effective, and they’ll sort food out with you too. 30 mins from Gloucester.

it’s a pretty hilly walk though, so depends if that is suitable for you all!

I walk up Cleeve with the dog regularly. It's always so bloody windy :ROFLMAO:

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Gloucester Golf Club is on your door stop. Not too hard, not too posh, not to expensive!

Towards Cheltenham is Liileybrook GC...bit better than Glawster!

Towards Cirencester is Cotswold Hills, or Cirencester GC itself

South west of you, look at Stinchcombe or Cotswold Edge

Value for money, have a look at Thornbury.

there's 6 options within a relative short hop!

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Gloucester Golf Club is on your door stop. Not too hard, not too posh, not to expensive!

Towards Cheltenham is Liileybrook GC...bit better than Glawster!

Towards Cirencester is Cotswold Hills, or Cirencester GC itself

South west of you, look at Stinchcombe or Cotswold Edge

Value for money, have a look at Thornbury.

there's 6 options within a relative short hop!

Iv'e suggested all of these and my boss is being a knob and turned his nose up haha. I was a member at Gloucester years ago - we'll have people moan about having to walk up Heart Attack hill.

Thornbury's a good shout - but I was a member there and wanted to play somewhere new.

Cotswold Edge or Lilleybrook might be a good shout to be fair had forgotten about them. Cotswold Hills might be a bit posh :D

We've also got Minchinhampton 10 minutes drive from our office, but no idea if any of the courses are any good.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Afternoon all,

I've been tasked with arranging a company golf day, so are looking for course suggestions which cover the following criteria;

- not terrible course :D
- accept and suit mixed abilities of golfer
- Not miles from Gloucester area (hour's drive-ish, would be willing to go further if it's worth it)
- food package (lunch/carvery/similar) included would be a bonus.
- would look to do a weekday during June or July most likely (although later in year not an issue if there's no availability before)

There won't be a huge number of us (we're only a small company) - so would be 2-3 4 balls, *maybe* a maximum of 4. So not a standard corporate society day.

Any help/1st hand suggestions greatly appreciated!

The Worcestershire Golf Club?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Both the "new" courses at Minch are good, and they have a good clubhouse for afterwards. Miles better than several on the list! Cotswold Hills wasn't posh last time I went! :)

If you are only 10 mins from Minch, nip in for a look round and a chat.

The Worcestershire Golf Club?

Again, very nice course, good clubhouse...bit further away.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Both the "new" courses at Minch are good, and they have a good clubhouse for afterwards. Miles better than several on the list! Cotswold Hills wasn't posh last time I went! :)

Only 43 minutes according to google!

The Vale is also only 51 mins away?

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site

Good to know, ta!

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If your high handicappers are very high, probably best not to go to Kendleshire or Players, but plenty of other courses just off the M5/M4 around Bristol. Filton is a nice friendly track with a good clubhouse and food and places like Stockwood Vale and Shirehampton are usually good for a society style do. Another one to consider is Cumberwell Park near Bath. Has 4 x 9 hole loops so they can give you the easier loops (suggest orange and red) and they also have a very good par 3 course if you want to make a day of it.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

We have the Minchinhampton as a reciprocal and looking forward to going down there. Maybe Royal Ascot week

babylonsinger

Visit site
Not from the area so no idea if within acceptable range but a group of us went to Bransford just outside Worcester recently and all enjoyed. Majority of our group are 20+ handicappers and all felt the course was interesting with plenty of water - it does play long for shorter hitters

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Not from the area so no idea if within acceptable range but a group of us went to Bransford just outside Worcester recently and all enjoyed. Majority of our group are 20+ handicappers and all felt the course was interesting with plenty of water - it does play long for shorter hitters

Lovely course in the summer! One of the nicer courses around Worcester for sure!

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm in an Open at Taunton on Friday... any good???
Taunton & Pickerage I presume as I normally play but am down at the Warren.

Nice course but not a fan of 17 & 18 holes.

Was originally built by the Somerset Light Infantry and was just 16 holes. Out the back it has very undulating fairways as it was built over mine workings and it was also used in the Second World War by the RAF to discard any bombs that they bought home.