Coronavirus - political views - supporting or otherwise...

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 16999

I think that the position now is that, to a large extent, it is over the population as a whole now. The government has flattened the curve and paid out at much as it can afford to retain jobs. Now, people need to work, economies need to open or the impact on the country could be almost as devastating as the virus itself. So, you do not think that people should be out and about, stay at home as much as possible, you do not agree with pubs opening, don't go. Act as you feel you need to to keep yourself and your family safe.

People say that they have no choice in some instances other than to go back to work despite being nervous about doing so and that is something I understand. The trouble is, unless companies can build up sufficient business by October when all support goes, these people will not have a job in any event and even before then, the furlough payments will be shrinking.

It really is an unwinable situation. Yes, i guess in an ideal world you would lock down until the virus has gone or there is a vaccine. That is unrealistic from just about every angle that you can think of. So, people have to be eased back into normal life, people need to be allowed to work and people need to make a living.

I always get the feeling that those that are advocating against any relaxation are those who can afford to sit out the lockdown for as long as it takes. Those struggling either financially or mentally are far more accepting of the changes.
I think you’ve just about got it spot on, my issue is those continually labelling part of society as stupid or lazy or selfish etc, the coronavirus didn’t create these people they were always there!

And, imo, knowing part of society has those traits then during this crisis the only people capable of trying to deal with or get through to these people are the Government.

Regardless of what this Government could or should of done you also of gottten those who would of still ignored what the Government set out, so therefore why do we have to keep having a dig at the idiots (who know one will change) and focus on those who have done their bit or accept that it may of been possible to get through to the borderline idiots had the Government tried a different approach in some areas.

Everything is took as anti-government dig rather than people accepting there maybe room for manouvere.

For all my anti-tory beliefs, I’m still firmly of the opinion nobody else in UK Politics would of done a better job.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not sure if it is the same everywhere, but I would also add that my local pub has had to pass tests and inspections by both the local authority and the brewery to ensure that they have robust practices and procedures in place. It is not as if they are just opening their doors and hoping for the best.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
All it will do is postpone any perceived difficulties by a few days whilst depriving landlords or another weekend of much needed income. I the grand scheme of things, really does not make much difference to anybody except the publicans desperately in need of income.
OK - so when the police have been asked and have expressed concerns and would have preferred another day of the week - then they are wrong...fair enough

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
OK - so when the police have been asked and have expressed concerns and would have preferred another day of the week - then they are wrong...fair enough

Nobody said the first weekend would be easy but I just cannot see how the crowds would be any different this Saturday or the Saturday after. it is not as if people will go out this weekend, think that's me done for a while, and not go out the following week. This is a big step in the return to normality and there are always going to be issues associated with people being allowed to the pub after 3 months at home. Pubs have had time to prepare, authorities have had nearly 2 weeks or warning, time to get on with it. People can prevaricate as much as they like but, at some stage, there will be a first weekend and that will be busy.

I suppose they could have opened the pubs from tomorrow if they wanted a build up but certainly no point delaying beyond 4th July.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Nobody said the first weekend would be easy but I just cannot see how the crowds would be any different this Saturday or the Saturday after. it is not as if people will go out this weekend, think that's me done for a while, and not go out the following week. This is a big step in the return to normality and there are always going to be issues associated with people being allowed to the pub after 3 months at home. Pubs have had time to prepare, authorities have had nearly 2 weeks or warning, time to get on with it. People can prevaricate as much as they like but, at some stage, there will be a first weekend and that will be busy.

I suppose they could have opened the pubs from tomorrow if they wanted a build up but certainly no point delaying beyond 4th July.
That's why it makes sense to have a 'gentle warm-up' period and, to me, opening from Monday would have been more sensible. There certainly needed to be advance notice to allow owners etc to prepare - get supplies in, let beer settle etc. But I fear opening Saturday, especially in this weather, will encourage the sort of idiocy seen at too many beaches, rallies etc! And the consequence could well be loads of mini-spikes that ruin the, generally, excellent work to date!

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
That's why it makes sense to have a 'gentle warm-up' period and, to me, opening from Monday would have been more sensible. There certainly needed to be advance notice to allow owners etc to prepare - get supplies in, let beer settle etc. But I fear opening Saturday, especially in this weather, will encourage the sort of idiocy seen at too many beaches, rallies etc! And the consequence could well be loads of mini-spikes that ruin the, generally, excellent work to date!

I am not sure that, given the option, many pubs would have opened before Friday even if they were given the option from Monday. Most pubs around me are shut on Monday and barely break even for the rest of the week until the weekend. I suspect many pubs would rather leave their staff on furlough for as long as possible and only open at the first weekend whatever day is selected. I think that much of the day will be ideal for testing their practices ready for the rush in the evening.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I didn't disagree with you. But I'd think that it matters more to publicans that they open soon - with the precise date to within a few days being less important. But for public order and 'overcrowding-avoidance' purposes, it is most likely better to open on a weekday and to not make a big event of it. The pubs just need to reopen so let's do it in the way that minimises risk.

you are completely contradicting yourself now. Either it makes a big difference opening on a Saturday or it makes minimal differnce - you are now hedging your bets. As DRW also siad, it will make virtually no differnce - first day of pubs open for three months on a Saturday, Monday, tuesday etc. Many pubs round here are doing bookings for 2 hour slots and many are already full on Saturday - and the same would have happened next Tuesday. And as for your comments that the government is contradicting itself by saying "get out and spend" with the only go out when necessary - it has evolved! Maybe you noticed on the daily briefings that have now stopped and which you paid particular attention to?

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
...I really don't understand why it seems so difficult to accept that reopening pubs on a Saturday is likely to give rise to more issues than were they reopened on a Tuesday.

What difference will it really make with so many currently off work. But it suits your strange logic to blame the government and you have been blaming governments since you haven’t had your way. You are and have always been part off the real gammon brigade and really need to give rant radio a miss.

What next, blaming the government for the weather, you are all that is wrong with things at the moment, you need spoon feeding everything and seem to have lost the ability to think for yourself, your continued insults of anything or anybody that doesn’t agree with your politics is mind boggling.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You can still disagree and be wrong, don't worry about it though, there were half a million people in Dorset last week and they all thought they were correct and were wrong as well.

Anyone who thinks that 60% capacity pubs that have been closed for 3.5 months would be anything other than at capacity on whatever day they reopen is living on a different planet. And, to prove the point - your half million people in dorset last week were there not on a weekend but wedenesday and thursday - good job it wasn't a saturday hey!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I am not sure that, given the option, many pubs would have opened before Friday even if they were given the option from Monday. Most pubs around me are shut on Monday and barely break even for the rest of the week until the weekend. I suspect many pubs would rather leave their staff on furlough for as long as possible and only open at the first weekend whatever day is selected. I think that much of the day will be ideal for testing their practices ready for the rush in the evening.
Good point but, imo, the emphasis should still be on preventing possible spikes! The week's 'warmup' is ideal for educating both 'regulars' and staff about the 'new' procedures!
Remember...Until there's an effective vaccine, it's up to everybody to prevent transmission!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I'm recall a certain Tory education minister saying on t'telly that he wanted all pupils to be above average.
Dodgy grammar notwithstanding, I recall that! Gove (SofS for Education at the time) was subsequently appropriately asked (by the Chairman of the Select Committee) 'Were you better at literacy than numeracy, Secretary of State?'! :LOL:
Gove is a talented orator, but, imo, has too shallow administrative talents for heavyweight cabinet responsibilities!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.