Coronavirus - political views - supporting or otherwise...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We may just have to have a more visible police presence, council workers in hi vis jackets etc. If there is a spike the locals, wherever that may be, will have to just take it. Temporary orders, fines etc. Whatever it takes.

Local lockdown will be easier to sell and enforce than another national one when the problem is nowhere near the bulk of the population.

These are not normal times, we have to accept these measures, my opinion anyway.
Maybe it's time to create a new Special Constabulary where their schedules are based more like the Military Reserve or Retained Firefighters. They have to attend training each year, work as Police for a minimum number of days, be available for call up and receive pay while working and an annual Bounty if they fulfill the minimum number of days or more.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Tourist quarantine gaining a fair bit of support up here.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politic...-adviser-consider-english-visitor-quarantine/

BTW Nicola's tartan face covering...…...the company making them have gone from 15 orders a day to 1,300 in one day.
I think Lady Doon has ordered one for me in my tartan...….I could become a cool dude.:unsure:(y)
Not from the tourist industry, couldn't be enforced either way with such an open border. One of your more manic posts with no thought or truth.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
so in the scheme of things you think that would make a difference to all involved?
It might - and that surely is more important than an ‘independence day’ political pandering and sound bite - which will almost inevitably end up in one almighty piss-up for many; chaos, and violence.

No matter - supporters of Johnson and this manipulating shambles of a populist government will find a way to rationalise the 4th July as being the best option - at least no worse than any other. When being honest to themselves they know it just isn’t. And so onwards we march to a Sozzled 'Super Saturday' 4th July

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
And so...what is the plan for putting any town, city or region into lockdown and if there are various levels of lockdown and immediacy of lockdown what are these and what are the timelines for implementing them. Because any such plans have to be predicated upon the learning from what worked and what didn’t work in Feb-April.

First though the government has to tell us now what lessons have been learnt so that we know why we might be asked to do X immediately or Y in48hrs time etc. This is after all only what Bernard Jenkin is asking for.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It might - and that surely is more important than an ‘independence day’ political pandering and sound bite - which will almost inevitably end up in one almighty piss-up for many; chaos, and violence.

No matter - supporters of Johnson and this manipulating shambles of a populist government will find a way to rationalise the 4th July as being the best option - at least no worse than any other. When being honest to themselves they know it just isn’t. And so onwards we march to a Sozzled 'Super Saturday' 4th July

what has Independance do got to do with Britain (yes Britain Doom). I have not noticed anything much going on from a UK perspective in respect of this day so cannot see it being any different to a usual Saturday. Whatever day the pubs open, they are going to be booked up to the extent of their reduced capacity. And as said above, we are circa 66 - 68 million in the UK and always have and always will have our fair share of idiots as does every country. There will imevtitable be flash points of over exuberance but this should not be blamed on the government as is usually the case for the "whatever they do is wrong" brigade on here

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
So explain English independance day?
Think it is something to do with this...

Britons have taken to social media to share their comical reactions after Boris Johnson announced that pubs in England would be allowed to reopen from July 4 after months in lockdown.

Following the Prime Minister's announcement, eager revellers across the country took to Twitter to celebrate the return of their favourite drinking establishments which were shut down on March 20.

Some pub-goers thanked the country's leader for reopening their much-loved pubs while others hailed the highly-anticipated return as the UK's 'Independence Day'.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...hilarious-memes-announced-pubs-open-time.html

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Think it is something to do with this...

Britons have taken to social media to share their comical reactions after Boris Johnson announced that pubs in England would be allowed to reopen from July 4 after months in lockdown.

Following the Prime Minister's announcement, eager revellers across the country took to Twitter to celebrate the return of their favourite drinking establishments which were shut down on March 20.

Some pub-goers thanked the country's leader for reopening their much-loved pubs while others hailed the highly-anticipated return as the UK's 'Independence Day'.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...hilarious-memes-announced-pubs-open-time.html

i must not have been up-to-date on my Daily Mail research! But, nevertheless, this would be the same if July 4 or July 7th as per your suggestion

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
what has Independance do got to do with Britain (yes Britain Doom). I have noticed anything much going on from a UK perspective in respect of this day so canno see it being any different to a usual Saturday. Whatever day the pubs open, they are going to be booked up to the extent of their reduced capacity. And as said above, we are circa 66 - 68 million in the UK and always have and always will have our fair share of idiots as does every country. There will imevtitable be flash points of over exuberance but this should not be blamed on the government as is usually the case for the "whatever they do is wrong" brigade on here
There are no idiots or stupids in this country remember...all are quite capable of understand complex issues and debates...

But there are plenty who will get sozzled on a Saturday who might only get tipsy on a Tuesday.

We really don't need to try and rationalize reopening on a Saturday being common sense rather than just a populist measure.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
i must not have been up-to-date on my Daily Mail research! But, nevertheless, this would be the same if July 4 or July 7th as per your suggestion
I think that you know exactly why some refer to 4th July being the 'UKs' Independence Day' and that such an epithet would not be quite so resonant on the 7th July - besides - I am sure that you also know that a Tipsy Tuesday is likely to be less of an issue for law and order that a Sozzled Saturday.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There are no idiots or stupids in this country remember...

But there are plenty who will get sozzled on a Saturday who might only get tipsy on a Tuesday.

We really don't need to try and rationalize reopening on a Saturday being common sense rather than just a populist measure.

who said there are no idiots in this country?

The same idiots who will go over the top on Saturday would do just the same on whatever day pubs open

Status
Not open for further replies.