Coronavirus - political views - supporting or otherwise...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Not sure July 4th as a date has any impact on numbers drinking in the UK. Apart from Americans living over here does anyone else care? I think setting the date as a Monday rather than a Saturday would have been smarter however, let pubs ease into it. Doing it on a Saturday could be problematic.
Simply because I have already heard 4th July being referred to as UKs Independence Day and so something special to celebrate. As we have to open pubs making the day of the week and date as low key and insignificant as possible would have seemed sensible.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
whatever happens at whatever time, stupid is as stupid does and there is enough of that across the country - so there will inevitably be idiots, just part of life
Don’t forget - there are no stupid people in the UK. They are all perfectly capable of understanding complex debate and issues - never mind the simple stuff. Apparently.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Maybe open on a Monday or Tuesday rather than what is likely to be the busiest day of the week. Good ideas can always be offset by part of it being stupid. Common sense seems to have gone out of the window recently.

My local has effectively gone invite only for next weekend. Regulars all messaged to reserve a spot on Saturday then open to others. Not on the list, you are not coming in until others leave for the day

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
So apparently Leicester could be the first place to be put into a localised lockdown https://news.sky.com/story/coronavi...ockdown-amid-spike-in-covid-19-cases-12016655

Is this really workable at a local level? Bit different when the whole country was effectively locked down and most people were very good at toeing the line. How well, if at all will a localised area toe the line especially when they see neighbouring towns and cities open for business. Can't see this been a success

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
So apparently Leicester could be the first place to be put into a localised lockdown https://news.sky.com/story/coronavi...ockdown-amid-spike-in-covid-19-cases-12016655

Is this really workable at a local level? Bit different when the whole country was effectively locked down and most people were very good at toeing the line. How well, if at all will a localised area toe the line especially when they see neighbouring towns and cities open for business. Can't see this been a success
What's the alternative though? Lockdown the whole country because Leicester is having a spike? Do nothing and let the spike grow?

I think is going to be the future for the next few months, localised spikes that need to be controlled. It is how Germany and France are dealing with it, why not us?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
What's the alternative though? Lockdown the whole country because Leicester is having a spike? Do nothing and let the spike grow?

I think is going to be the future for the next few months, localised spikes that need to be controlled. It is how Germany and France are dealing with it, why not us?
No idea. Was putting it out for discussion. Not implying do nothing and I am sure there will be a host of localised hotspots. Reading actually had more infections per head than Manchester and Liverpool but of course we were all locked down simultaneously. Not sure how receptive the local population will be if it had to lockdown and how do you implement it

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

Its what they're doing here in Spain. 4 semi-autonomous regions have been moved back 2 phases this week. Whether it will work in the UK...?

Over here we have 4 village policemen, Guardia Local. They're backed up by 4 Protection Civil. The same is repeated in many villages, and they're further backed by larger forces in the towns, who also have Guardia National and Guardia Trafico. The Guardia don't mess about, and have been known to issue fines for not wearing a mask even though social distancing is being maintained(2metres). Argue with them and you risk a further fine of €3,000.

Can't see that ever happening in the UK.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Its what they're doing here in Spain. 4 semi-autonomous regions have been moved back 2 phases this week. Whether it will work in the UK...?

Over here we have 4 village policemen, Guardia Local. They're backed up by 4 Protection Civil. The same is repeated in many villages, and they're further backed by larger forces in the towns, who also have Guardia National and Guardia Trafico. The Guardia don't mess about, and have been known to issue fines for not wearing a mask even though social distancing is being maintained(2metres). Argue with them and you risk a further fine of €3,000.

Can't see that ever happening in the UK.

Me neither. I can see how it'll work in places like Spain with your regional governments backing up the local police and able to impose regulations at that level. Without such a thing in the UK aside from the police managing it, and already overworked and understaffed ho else can it be done and I simply can't see the public buying into it and complying

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
No idea. Was putting it out for discussion. Not implying do nothing and I am sure there will be a host of localised hotspots. Reading actually had more infections per head than Manchester and Liverpool but of course we were all locked down simultaneously. Not sure how receptive the local population will be if it had to lockdown and how do you implement it
We may just have to have a more visible police presence, council workers in hi vis jackets etc. If there is a spike the locals, wherever that may be, will have to just take it. Temporary orders, fines etc. Whatever it takes.

Local lockdown will be easier to sell and enforce than another national one when the problem is nowhere near the bulk of the population.

These are not normal times, we have to accept these measures, my opinion anyway.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We may just have to have a more visible police presence, council workers in hi vis jackets etc. If there is a spike the locals, wherever that may be, will have to just take it. Temporary orders, fines etc. Whatever it takes.

Local lockdown will be easier to sell and enforce than another national one when the problem is nowhere near the bulk of the population.

These are not normal times, we have to accept these measures, my opinion anyway.
I totally agree with you. However I don't think many will be like you and me and accept the changes especially with pubs and shops open

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I totally agree with you. However I don't think many will be like you and me and accept the changes especially with pubs and shops open
That then comes down to enforcement. Be harsh early, set the tone. The British are not generally a lawless bunch. Some will push guidelines, obviously based on recent times, but make them laws and it is a different matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.