Coronavirus - political views - supporting or otherwise...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
A senior member of the constabulary was on telly, this morning, criticising the decision to re-open drinking establishments of a Saturday... Sorry matey, but as you are almost certainly fully aware, DomCum (and puppet) believe they know best... Experts what experts! Seems Dom speaks and everyone falls into line or gets shown the door...

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
who said there are no idiots in this country?

The same idiots who will go over the top on Saturday would do just the same on whatever day pubs open

I tend to agree. IMO 'average' level of intelligence is pretty sad. Average UK IQ is 100 which is not great. Having worked at a few Universities for a number of decades its disappointing to see the poor level of education achieved by a large proportion of these allegedly bright youngsters. Also my experience of employing a wide range of people the level of common sense is often sadly lacking.

Numerous social research studies have shown that drug and alcohol use is proportionately higher among the lower social economic groups, alongside poor diet etc.

No doubt some of the 'trouble' arises from the natural rebelliousness of the young but regretfully quite a bit is just wantonly anti-social and stupid.

D

Deleted member 21258

In respect of opening on a Saturday rather say Monday, one thing to remember is there are masses and masses of people are furloughed and not working full time, so everyday is almost a weekend day. So probably not as much of an affect as you expect, some yes but not as much.

I feel for the pub owners, how are they going to police(as such) the social distancing element (and separately also make any money). If being a publican wasn't hard work before the virus, its just got harder.:(

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Don't worry - a whack-a-mole (WT...!) strategy will keep spread of the virus under control.

Still not quite sure how opening up of pubs, restaurants and shops and us being urged us to go out and spend..sits with the government continuing to urge us all to stay at home unless it is essential to go out. Apparently. Pity we can't have any journalist or member of the public asking a minister to explain that apparent contradiction - but there we go.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
In respect of opening on a Saturday rather say Monday, one thing to remember is there are masses and masses of people are furloughed and not working full time, so everyday is almost a weekend day. So probably not as much of an affect as you expect, some yes but not as much.

I feel for the pub owners, how are they going to police(as such) the social distancing element (and separately also make any money). If being a publican wasn't hard work before the virus, its just got harder.:(
some yes but not much may well be true - even then why do it on a Saturday when you don't need to.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
I tend to agree. IMO 'average' level of intelligence is pretty sad. Average UK IQ is 100 which is not great. Having worked at a few Universities for a number of decades its disappointing to see the poor level of education achieved by a large proportion of these allegedly bright youngsters. Also my experience of employing a wide range of people the level of common sense is often sadly lacking.

Numerous social research studies have shown that drug and alcohol use is proportionately higher among the lower social economic groups, alongside poor diet etc.

No doubt some of the 'trouble' arises from the natural rebelliousness of the young but regretfully quite a bit is just wantonly anti-social and stupid.

You do know that they design IQ so that 100 is the average, right?

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
You do know that they design IQ so that 100 is the average, right?

Yes. Have you seen the questions that are required to achieve the 'average'? then take note and realise that 50% aren't capable of reaching even that low bar.

And, remember it's a skewed population as many of those who take IQ tests probably think they'll do well (unless it part of a job interview type situation.

D

Deleted member 21258

some yes but not much may well be true - even then why do it on a Saturday when you don't need to.

Not even sure I understand your point.

Perhaps answer these questions, to answer your own :-

1) how many people are furloughed ? (easy to get actual figures and they are eye watering:cry:)
2) How many business owners are not working full time

And how much of the working drinking population is that:LOL:

I was only highlighting a factor to take into account, which I didn't see anyone had mentioned, and that fact dilutes the Saturday problem a (fair) bit IMHO.

Have fun.:)

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Yes. Have you seen the questions that are required to achieve the 'average'? then take note and realise that 50% aren't capable of reaching even that low bar.

And, remember it's a skewed population as many of those who take IQ tests probably think they'll do well (unless it part of a job interview type situation.
Was only pointing out that you said it’s bad that the average is 100 when the average is always 100 in an IQ.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Not even sure I understand your point.

Perhaps answer these questions, to answer your own :-

1) how many people are furloughed ? (easy to get actual figures and they are eye watering:cry:)
2) How many business owners are not working full time

And how much of the working drinking population is that:LOL:

I was only highlighting a factor to take into account, which I didn't see anyone had mentioned, and that fact dilutes the Saturday problem a (fair) bit IMHO.

Have fun.:)
I didn't disagree with you. But I'd think that it matters more to publicans that they open soon - with the precise date to within a few days being less important. But for public order and 'overcrowding-avoidance' purposes, it is most likely better to open on a weekday and to not make a big event of it. The pubs just need to reopen so let's do it in the way that minimises risk.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Lessons of public logic...
Health Advice 1. - "Smoking is really bad for your lungs and is a major cause of painful lung cancer deaths"
Public response - millions continue to deliberately purchase tobacco and smoke and blame the makers/sellers!

Health Advice 2. - "Drugs are illegal, addictive and cause major damage to health and wealth" -
Public response - Millions think its clever and 'in': deliberately pay organised crime for 'product' of unknown origin/purity made by criminal 'factories' while at the same time moaning about food quality standards, sugar and salt levels !

Health Advice 3. - "There is a pandemic which is highly contagious and can kill so you are advised to curtail social interaction"
Public response - widely ignored by 'protest' organisers and a considerable number of individuals who will then blame the advisors when it goes pear shaped!

Do we really need to wonder if some people are plain stupid or unbelievably arrogant?

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I didn't disagree with you. But I'd think that it matters more to publicans that they open soon - with the precise date to within a few days being less important. But for public order and 'overcrowding-avoidance' purposes, it is most likely better to open on a weekday and to not make a big event of it. The pubs just need to reopen so let's do it in the way that minimises risk.

Going to the 'pub' on Saturday is not compulsory !!

D

Deleted member 16999

Health Advice 1. - "Smoking is really bad for your lungs and is a major cause of painful lung cancer deaths"
Public response - millions continue to deliberately purchase tobacco and smoke and blame the makers/sellers!

Health Advice 2. - "Drugs are illegal, addictive and cause major damage to health and wealth" -
Public response - Millions think its clever and 'in': deliberately pay organised crime for 'product' of unknown origin/purity made by criminal 'factories' while at the same time moaning about food quality standards, sugar and salt levels !

Health Advice 3. - "There is a pandemic which is highly contagious and can kill so you are advised to curtail social interaction"
Public response - widely ignored by 'protest' organisers and a considerable number of individuals who will then blame the advisors when it goes pear shaped!

Do we really need to wonder if some people are plain stupid or unbelievably arrogant?
Not even remotely related!!

Smoking: First advertised as cool and good for your health by Doctors and Celebrities, despite the manafacturers knowing is was damaging to health and addictive. - Government make millions in tax from it.

Drugs: Not all drugs are illegal and many addicts end up on drugs after becoming addicted to legally prescribed medication.

Coronavirus: Mixed messages, sanctions, lockdown not tough enough.

All the above under Government control, all Governments(apart from current crisis) have never really wanted to spend the money on sorting out the issues.

Funny how we praise MP’s when things go right, but blame the public when things go wrong.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site

Not sure where to start with those statements regarding blame and the logic and jumps you seem to want to make.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think that the position now is that, to a large extent, it is over the population as a whole now. The government has flattened the curve and paid out at much as it can afford to retain jobs. Now, people need to work, economies need to open or the impact on the country could be almost as devastating as the virus itself. So, you do not think that people should be out and about, stay at home as much as possible, you do not agree with pubs opening, don't go. Act as you feel you need to to keep yourself and your family safe.

People say that they have no choice in some instances other than to go back to work despite being nervous about doing so and that is something I understand. The trouble is, unless companies can build up sufficient business by October when all support goes, these people will not have a job in any event and even before then, the furlough payments will be shrinking.

It really is an unwinable situation. Yes, i guess in an ideal world you would lock down until the virus has gone or there is a vaccine. That is unrealistic from just about every angle that you can think of. So, people have to be eased back into normal life, people need to be allowed to work and people need to make a living.

I always get the feeling that those that are advocating against any relaxation are those who can afford to sit out the lockdown for as long as it takes. Those struggling either financially or mentally are far more accepting of the changes.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
...I really don't understand why it seems so difficult to accept that reopening pubs on a Saturday is likely to give rise to more issues than were they reopened on a Tuesday.

All it will do is postpone any perceived difficulties by a few days whilst depriving landlords or another weekend of much needed income. I the grand scheme of things, really does not make much difference to anybody except the publicans desperately in need of income.

Status
Not open for further replies.