Coronavirus - political views - supporting or otherwise...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It'd be better and clearer all round if we all moved at the same rate. But they need to talk to each other to make the agreements that would allow that.

Playing Devil's Advocate a little bit here......

If the infection rate in Scotland was above 1 but in England was 0.4 does that mean that you think that 60 million (ish) people in England should remain under stricter rules because of the infection rate in a population of 6 million (ish) people in Scotland?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Surely he would make the 25 mile effort to see his family for such a special occasion.

Hope you are able to travel, have a great day, and wish her happy 90th.
He will pop down. Though it sounds like if we wanted to go up separately to see him in Sheffield then we could. I don’t think it’s a good idea for us to travel such distance so I actually suspect that we won’t go next week. My son will pop down on the day but we won’t go up.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I'm in Wales.

Golf is dangerous. Walking on a beach on my own is dangerous.

But I can queue with lots of septegenarians in the garden centre to buy a flower pot and a bag of dirt.

Opposition wanted road map. They have it. Crystal clear that progression depends on outcomes and can be reversed. Still not happy.

Welsh Golf FB pages in meltdown at the mo. Bristol Golf Clubs could be getting lots of new members

D

Deleted member 1740

And had she done that, and not gone to press before the PM's announcement, then that would have been better.

Frankly I find it ridiculous that we have the Prime Minister of the UK making announcements that are then contradicted by the First Ministers of other parts of the union. It should either be one united front or 4 separate countries making individual announcements, not the half-arsed arrangement we currently have. Either devolve properly or not at all.

In fairness, if the leaders of the other 3 countries disagree with Johnson's plans surely they have a right,as leaders of that country, to make their own decisions based on what they feel is the right course of action?

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site

If the infection rate in Scotland was above 1 but in England was 0.4 does that mean that you think that 60 million (ish) people in England should remain under stricter rules because of the infection rate in a population of 6 million (ish) people in Scotland?

Rather than going down different paths etc my understanding (which may be wrong!) is that all areas of the UK will be following the same criteria to move between the 5 states of alert at different times depending on the R value in each?

therefore if England (or even at County/Regional level) goes back to 5 the the message would revert to Stay Home etc, not that anyone wants that to happen of course.

However, I wish this had come through loud and clear in his address though, it was very poor and he missed the opportunity to nip these “why England” etc conversations and questions in the bud.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
To be honest, I think the PM and the devolved First Ministers are wrong to use quick broadcasts to push changes to the lockdown. Spain's version of unlock was announced last week with a "we will be reducing restrictions as of next Monday. The detail will be issued over the next few days." 30 pages of detail. Following that, a number of clarifications requested by the regional presidents, and amendments issued. There's still a few pending and it goes live at midnight tonight.

A 30 min briefing on TV isn't the way to do it.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

I'm no expert but it seems reasonable to think if there was such a large disparity in the infection rate then theoretically not, but it would still be better to present a united front with both leaders making the same points and explaining why the differences.

I'd agree that if there is huge disparity in the rates, and given the differing demographics of the countries, different rules could apply, but as we are still a United Kingdom, with a Prime Minister for the United Kingdom, the arrangements should be discussed between them & then announced by the Prime Minister, with First Ministers taking questions & filling detail on any variations in their respective countries.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
I found what he said was often contradictory, vague and liable to promote people having to make their own minds up on what they can or should do and when. They will no doubt clarify things tomorrow or maybe confuse them more, surely it would have been better to say we will stay as we are and bring in new rules from a week tomorrow.
I really dont understand how people can make their own minds up whether to go to work in the morning or whether safety precautions will be in place, surely it's up to Employeers to notify their employees first.

Not impressed at all.
Agreed. I don’t want to get into Tory bashing, but the whole lockdown has been a shambles from a direction standpoint. I’ve been advocating it being lifted, admittedly from a purely personal situation. That’s the issue, it allows too much room for interpretation. We would have been better having stronger guidance/leadership

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
In fairness, if the leaders of the other 3 countries disagree with Johnson's plans surely they have a right,as leaders of that country, to make their own decisions based on what they feel is the right course of action?

I didn't say they didn't have that right, I have an issue with them "rushing to print" before the Prime Minister has announced what they are disagreeing with.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
I didn't say they didn't have that right, I have an issue with them "rushing to print" before the Prime Minister has announced what they are disagreeing with.
Seems odd to me that; there wasn’t communication between the respective leaders prior to the announcements & Boris didn’t speak first. It would have made more sense for Wales & Scotland to follow with any regional amendments imo

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Did he not say for exercise? Ultimately it is down to you and your conscience. If the police stop you on the motorway do you think your case will stand up or will they see it as a major bending of the rules?
So we on here are understanding some what should be simple things in the statement differently. 3offtheTee thinks I could go, you don’t - I don’t think I should be able to go - but the PM said I could go to the park and sit on a park bench. Do I have to walk to the park to sit on the bench or can I drive as I can if I am to exercise - and if the park I want to go to to sit on a park bench is 170miles away?

Stern tone; Stern face; Clench fists; Wave hands. Confuse.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you believe the government has done a single thing wrong, surely you believe it should be looked at and questioned by the general public who are being served by the government?

I don’t get this mantra of unending faith in a clearly flawed, bent government.
Yep a golf forum will really take the government to account. If your going to do something real, tell us about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.