Coronavirus - political views - supporting or otherwise...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Haven’t read back but did this site pick up on the fact the tories tried to get their propaganda machine to shame teachers? Hope so.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
Erm…. I think the wee winkie man was an indication that I don't think my friend was being serious. :love:
I think he was just pointing out some of the absurdly daft 'rules'.

Fairly certain any honest/genuine estate agent would call a halt to repeat viewings obviously outside the intention of 'the rules'... I am quite happy to call out what I see as the shortcomings of government... However, I feel this needs to be tempered with a thought that the last thing I want is an overbearing bureaucratic nanny state running the show... As that is why I voted to kick Brussels into touch...

D

Deleted member 18588

Haven’t read back but did this site pick up on the fact the tories tried to get their propaganda machine to shame teachers? Hope so.

Don't know.

I wonder if the forum picked up on the number of teachers who have said that, on this as on many "politicised" issues, the unions do not speak for them.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Whole thing is politically motivated with the unions flexing their muscles. Many teachers are out their working their butts off and the unions never said a word, now they are demanding that the government meet the unions 5 guidelines even though the guy on the news jumped from 3 to 5. Perhaps he needs to go back to school and learn to count.

Nothing to do with unions "flexing their muscles". They are trying to protect their members, who are scared stiff of what is going to happen on June 1st. There is a massive difference between the current situation and what will happen then. At the moment, schools are getting a handful of kids coming in. My wife works in a primary school in a pretty deprived area, there are 300 kids on the school roll, at the moment they are getting an average of 4 kids a day coming in. The highest total they have had is 7. There are 5-6 members of staff in daily, so they have got a good chance of being able to maintain social distancing and staying safe. Most teachers are at home 4 days a week, setting work for the rest of the kids who pick it up online.

They are now going to have to work with classes of 15 kids who at the age of 4 and 5 will be all over each other and the staff. A lot of the resources they use are shared around, they simply don't have enough books or lego or whatever to give a child their own resources, and it is just not practical to sterilise something every single time it is passed from child to child.

They have no PPE, they will have no way of knowing which kids have, or have had the virus. The sad fact is that they will get a disproportionate amount of kids at the highest risk coming in, coming from chaotic households where the parents are desperate to dump their kids.

Are the inherent risks really a price worth paying so that 4 and 5 year olds get an extra few weeks schooling? Is that really going to make a big difference to them?

The British Medical Association have stated that it is a very bad idea. They are 100% correct.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
there was a march against lock down planned yesterday in the local park, when i went past there were 3 people, but at least 8 cop cars/vans and about 20 police. i believe there were sim planned elsewhere, lets hope they had the same numbers turn out.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So the BMA, the Teachers, the right wing unionist NI Assembly, the left wing Welsh Labour Government, the centre left Scots Government, many local mayors and local governments, the NHS, nearly all the unions and I think all of the opposition parties think Johnson acted to early and/or is unprepared for easing lockdown.
I am beginning to see a bit of a pattern here.:unsure:

PaulS

Visit site
I don’t think it’s a stretch to see that some teachers along with unions are using the situation to score political points.

The teacher that Sky interviewed saying she doesn’t trust Boris Johnson and his stats etc turned out to be a left wing political activist.

So far and ?it stays that way the virus doesn’t seem to be affecting the under 18’s to any great extent - believe it’s 10 under 18’s who have passed away with 9 having serious medical conditions but its going into the unknown.

Whilst there will be teachers who are worried about the virus and the potential damage it could cause if it went through schools the only way is to take people at face value

And if there are teachers that are using it to score political points then they just join thousands of others that are doing - including a good number on here.

D

Deleted member 18588

Nothing to do with unions "flexing their muscles". They are trying to protect their members, who are scared stiff of what is going to happen on June 1st. There is a massive difference between the current situation and what will happen then. At the moment, schools are getting a handful of kids coming in. My wife works in a primary school in a pretty deprived area, there are 300 kids on the school roll, at the moment they are getting an average of 4 kids a day coming in. The highest total they have had is 7. There are 5-6 members of staff in daily, so they have got a good chance of being able to maintain social distancing and staying safe. Most teachers are at home 4 days a week, setting work for the rest of the kids who pick it up online.

They are now going to have to work with classes of 15 kids who at the age of 4 and 5 will be all over each other and the staff. A lot of the resources they use are shared around, they simply don't have enough books or lego or whatever to give a child their own resources, and it is just not practical to sterilise something every single time it is passed from child to child.

They have no PPE, they will have no way of knowing which kids have, or have had the virus. The sad fact is that they will get a disproportionate amount of kids at the highest risk coming in, coming from chaotic households where the parents are desperate to dump their kids.

Are the inherent risks really a price worth paying so that 4 and 5 year olds get an extra few weeks schooling? Is that really going to make a big difference to them?

The British Medical Association have stated that it is a very bad idea. They are 100% correct.
Who says that teachers are "scared stiff"?

The unions leaders appear to have made a unilateral decision with no consultation with members and no presentation of the evidence from either side.

PaulS

Visit site
So the BMA, the Teachers, the right wing unionist NI Assembly, the left wing Welsh Labour Government, the centre left Scots Government, the NHS, nearly all the unions and I think all of the opposition parties think Johnson acted to early and/or is unprepared for easing lockdown.
I am beginning to see a bit of a pattern here.:unsure:

The pattern I do see clearly is your “anti English” and anti government angle that you display on every post you make.

You appear to be incapable of posting with any balance beyond chips on both shoulders

And that’s also relevant for the “government can do no wrong” and the people that leap on anyone who displays any sort of critical point whether that be minor or major.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
So far and ?it stays that way the virus doesn’t seem to be affecting the under 18’s to any great extent - believe it’s 10 under 18’s who have passed away.

That is correct in terms of children being badly affected by the virus, the worry is much more that asymptomatic kids bring the virus in from home, and pass it on to staff, or to other kids who go home and infect their families. That is a very likely scenario.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That is correct in terms of children being badly affected by the virus, the worry is much more that asymptomatic kids bring the virus in from home, and pass it on to staff, or to other kids who go home and infect their families. That is a very likely scenario.
This is our problem.
My daughter is a primary teacher.
My wife is shielding .
She is scared she will bring it home.
I don’t see how she can make an informed decision atm.
Lots of teachers in this position.

D

Deleted member 18588

That is a possible scenario.

Not necessarily "a very likely " one.

The evidence, either way, is not being presented to teachers to enable them to make an informed rather than emotional decision.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Thus is true enough, but there are plenty of staff who are at (effectively) no risk and are not in contact with anyone who is.
There are also plenty of kids from families who are at no risk (most families with junior school aged kids are under 45).
We seem to be painting ourselves into a ridiculous corner where great damage is being done to our society to avoid a tiny chance of death. Our risk compass has been totally miscalibrated

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
The pattern I do see clearly is your “anti English” and anti government angle that you display on every post you make.

You appear to be incapable of posting with any balance beyond chips on both shoulders

And that’s also relevant for the “government can do no wrong” and the people that leap on anyone who displays any sort of critical point whether that be minor or major.

Given that DFT has quoted the BMA, the opposition parties, the teachers and the unions, all of whom are predominantly English, I hardly think you can call that an anti-English post.

This just seems to be a cheap shot favoured by a number of posters on here, playing the man and not the ball again. It's getting pretty tedious.

PaulS

Visit site
Given that DFT has quoted the BMA, the opposition parties, the teachers and the unions, all of whom are predominantly English, I hardly think you can call that an anti-English post.

This just seems to be a cheap shot favoured by a number of posters on here, playing the man and not the ball again. It's getting pretty tedious.

Hence why I also added in the “anti government” as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.