Coronavirus - political views - supporting or otherwise...

Status
Not open for further replies.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
the problem in all the guidance and rules and restrictions as there are not or never can be enough to cover all scenarios and yet there are too many to keep things simple and give the core guidance and let people and businesses implement them.

Key one is golf. Outdoor with social distancing equals very little risk. So why get involved and taklk about 2 people rather than 4. Reiterate that golf is open but the core rules apply - clubs direct members to this and we have 4-ball golf with no more risks than 2-ball golf.

Just keep strict on the distancing guidelines - with a focus on indoors - and leave evryone to implememnt it themselves!

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
the problem in all the guidance and rules and restrictions as there are not or never can be enough to cover all scenarios and yet there are too many to keep things simple and give the core guidance and let people and businesses implement them.

Key one is golf. Outdoor with social distancing equals very little risk. So why get involved and taklk about 2 people rather than 4. Reiterate that golf is open but the core rules apply - clubs direct members to this and we have 4-ball golf with no more risks than 2-ball golf.

Just keep strict on the distancing guidelines - with a focus on indoors - and leave evryone to implememnt it themselves!
I thought the current golf restrictions had been decided by the Golf Union.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
as they have applied the 2 person ruling from the government, which i don't think was necessary if they that people can meet as long as strict social distancing is applied
I believe you can play a 4 ball if from the same household.

I guess 2 balls are better than what we had before though. It's like meeting one person from outside your family, if it's opened up we know some will abuse it so best to take a steady approach.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
as they have applied the 2 person ruling from the government, which i don't think was necessary if they that people can meet as long as strict social distancing is applied

I see the 2-ball rule at my club as an important part of social distancing by reducing the footfall. That, and the strictures not to arrive in the car park any earlier than 15 minutes before tee time, means fewer people milling around, going into the prohop etc., and a one way in, another way out also helps.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I believe you can play a 4 ball if from the same household.

I guess 2 balls are better than what we had before though. It's like meeting one person from outside your family, if it's opened up we know some will abuse it so best to take a steady approach.
I don't know this but my guess is that they have spoken to the Behavioral Scientists who have been very involved so far and asked what the risks are of 2 people meeting, 3 people, 4 people etc. I suspect the risk of breaking the 2m rule increases by a certain amount for every extra person you add into the mix.

At the moment we have to be careful still. As the magical R number reduces then im sure we will see another person added into the mix per group.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I don't know this but my guess is that they have spoken to the Behavioral Scientists who have been very involved so far and asked what the risks are of 2 people meeting, 3 people, 4 people etc. I suspect the risk of breaking the 2m rule increases by a certain amount for every extra person you add into the mix.

At the moment we have to be careful still. As the magical R number reduces then im sure we will see another person added into the mix per group.

Just an off the cuff aside, not picking holes. How relevant is the magical R number when it is being kept(artificially) low by the lockdown? We have a good idea that the R number in normal interaction is high 3.0's and up over. And we know that as it goes through the population immunities will increase, and the (normal) R will reduce... sorry, I'm rambling - lack of sleep.

When will the (normal) R number low enough, and with each change of interaction the R changes?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just an off the cuff aside, not picking holes. How relevant is the magical R number when it is being kept(artificially) low by the lockdown? We have a good idea that the R number in normal interaction is high 3.0's and up over. And we know that as it goes through the population immunities will increase, and the (normal) R will reduce... sorry, I'm rambling - lack of sleep.

When will the (normal) R number low enough, and with each change of interaction the R changes?
I'm well out of my depth on that one. I only quoted it as that seems to be the default measurement everyone is now talking about.

I could have used infection rate or other term that I equally know little about but that seems to be old hat now. R seems to be the magic letter.

My point is, I think, as the risk level of this spreading reduces the greater level of interaction will be allowed. Does that make sense?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I'm well out of my depth on that one. I only quoted it as that seems to be the default measurement everyone is now talking about.

I could have used infection rate or other term that I equally know little about but that seems to be old hat now. R seems to be the magic letter.

My point is, I think, as the risk level of this spreading reduces the greater level of interaction will be allowed. Does that make sense?

I think you've got as good a grasp as anyone. I've tried following it but there were/are so many unknowns.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site

Yes, it makes sense. Not hard to understand your point at all .

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

do you allow people to meet 3 others from different households in a park too? the forest? the beach?

surely england golf saying 2 balls IS to apply the core rules the govt have in place (ie meet up with 1 person from outside your household)

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site

There is about a 3 week lag in some of the data. Some reports suggestion its gone up and is close to 0.9 but it will not have responded to the lower infection rate and the easing of restrictions or the rise in Care homes deaths. I guess we will need to wait and see which way it goes.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My friend in Wilts cannot meet with his mum and dad but he can now put his house on the buyers market.
His mum and dad will be viewing his house three times a week until lockdown ends.;)
And that's Ok is it.Ive heard that old chestnut so many times now and cant believe anyone would bother to do it

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Gavin Williamson’s briefing is almost nauseating in its delivery and tone - and is clearly aimed at undermining opposition in teaching and teaching unions to a return to schooling. And such faux sincerity makes it almost impossible to keep listening - doesn’t help of course that I don’t normally have any time for him. But I will keep going with him - as I know he must finish shortly. ?

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
My friend in Wilts cannot meet with his mum and dad but he can now put his house on the buyers market.
His mum and dad will be viewing his house three times a week until lockdown ends.;)

Knowing this is occurring shouldn't you be doing the right thing and seeking to report it to the appropriate authorities... But, then again, why bother as playing the holier than thou card is obviously of more importance...

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
do you allow people to meet 3 others from different households in a park too? the forest? the beach?

surely england golf saying 2 balls IS to apply the core rules the govt have in place (ie meet up with 1 person from outside your household)

The England Golf advice allows for 3 or 4 balls of family members at the club's discretion.

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I see the 2-ball rule at my club as an important part of social distancing by reducing the footfall. That, and the strictures not to arrive in the car park any earlier than 15 minutes before tee time, means fewer people milling around, going into the prohop etc., and a one way in, another way out also helps.
Agree with all this.

At the end of the day, thems the rules.

Am amazed how many people I've seen moaning about this, or suggesting its OK to ignore.

People should count themselves lucky to be allowed to play. There are others far worse off in all this.

++ not having a go at @PNWokingham++

Status
Not open for further replies.