Coronavirus - political views - supporting or otherwise...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
BBC Scotland now showing HM Government information on Covid 19 which 99% applies to England only.
Needs a disclaimer.
Are they thick, argumentative ….or both.;)
They seem to have totally forgotten that Wales, NI and Scotland devolved nations rejected most of what the UK Government proposed for the UK.
And Wales have decided that the Scots model is not appropriate to them.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
... Disappointed in Mr Starmer this week, asking the same questions that he has asked before when there is so much outside the current situation going on and need scrutiny.
Are the questions no longer relevant?
Did he actually get a (proper) answer to the original one(s)?
I haven't actually seen much of Parliament, but what I have has simply been more of the same - Questions asked/avoided with little 'proper' debate. That's pretty understandable under the circumstances, but a little disappointing that 'democracy' has shifted away from Parliament. Starmer needs to raise his profile if he really wants to challenge BoJo - but their is a fine balance between legitimate politial challenging and simply being negative that he has to navigate!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Very interesting views but not really relevant to the point I was making to a poster who has been commenting a number of times regarding the Governments failiure to achieve their target on testing. I wanted his views on how the logistics could have been improved.
And my point, that you seem to have missed/ignored, was that 'improve the logistics' is the only proper view. It's 'the government's' role to do so if that's what the reason is.

What makes YOU actually think that 'the logistics' need to be improved?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Jenrick responding to being asked why the international comparison graphs have been dropped has been evasive, diverting and is simply not being open and honest with us. The Deputy CMO for England has stated very clearly that they have been saying all along that the basis for the comparisons was inconsistent.

We are being promised openness and clarity by the government, but time and time again we get the opposite because the government and minsters taking the briefing see it as the politically expedient thing to do.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
And my point, that you seem to have missed/ignored, was that 'improve the logistics' is the only proper view. It's 'the government's' role to do so if that's what the reason is.

What makes YOU actually think that 'the logistics' need to be improved?
I dont, but if the poster 'I was actually addressing' feels he needed to be critical of the Governments performance on testing then I would like to understand 'his views' on what logistical changes could have improved the results.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Jenrick responding to being asked why the international comparison graphs have been dropped has been evasive, diverting and is simply not being open and honest with us. The Deputy CMO for England has stated very clearly that they have been saying all along that the basis for the comparisons was inconsistent.

We are being promised openness and clarity by the government, but time and time again we get the opposite because the government and minsters taking the briefing see it as the politically expedient thing to do.
Surely they learn as they go along and the new presentations give a better explanation of what's actually happening. Why is that a problem for you, theres not always a red under the bed.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I dont, but if the poster 'I was actually addressing' feels he needed to be critical of the Governments performance on testing then I would like to understand 'his views' on what logistical changes could have improved the results.
What a copout! It's a forum! If you only want to communicate as per the bold bit, then use a PM!

In light of the obvious failure to achieve the target - in spite of a dire failed attempt to fiddle the 'number'! - and the fact that the target has continued to be missed since,...What logistical changes would YOU suggest that could have improved the results?!

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Are the questions no longer relevant?
Did he actually get a (proper) answer to the original one(s)?
I haven't actually seen much of Parliament, but what I have has simply been more of the same - Questions asked/avoided with little 'proper' debate. That's pretty understandable under the circumstances, but a little disappointing that 'democracy' has shifted away from Parliament. Starmer needs to raise his profile if he really wants to challenge BoJo - but their is a fine balance between legitimate politial challenging and simply being negative that he has to navigate!
My point was that they were the same questions that he has asked and had answered before. Not getting the answer you want isn't a reason to keep asking the same question, politicians from all sides will only give you the answer they want to give you :eek:. There must be other important things he should be looking at. IMO

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site

He handed over to Jenny to answer and she did, what's the problem this time.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
What a copout! It's a forum! If you only want to communicate as per the bold bit, then use a PM!

In light of the obvious failure to achieve the target - in spite of a dire failed attempt to fiddle the 'number'! - and the fact that the target has continued to be missed since,...What logistical changes would YOU suggest that could have improved the results?!

Everyone that is claiming to be off work due to having symptom to be marched down to the testing center now Sargent Major.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I tell my Mrs that I promise get to my MiLs by tomorrow midday. That's great, she says but she lives 170miles away how are you going to get there and we don't have a car. I'll hire one says I. I've got £50.

Now it's quite reasonable for me to assume I should be able to hire a car - and maybe for £50, but no guarantee especially in these times (is car hire still operating btw?) - and so not something I should promise to do.

Quite easy. Under promise - Over deliver. Don't promise to deliver something that has significant dependencies upon factors outside of your control - aka the British Public.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

It's very difficult for a politician to alter their 'natural' tendency to 'fudge'!

It doesn't really matter that international comparisons aren't appriopriate. There are, generally, sufficient consistent attributes within each country's data to indicate whereabouts in the pandemic 'pattern' a particular country is.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
Just to add to my previous point, checked online and I can get a test tomorrow morning.

There is logistical reasons etc, especially in London. But excluding those, at least you can get tested when needed. I'd much rather that then them hit the numbers, but people be waiting for a test.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
He handed over to Jenny to answer and she did, what's the problem this time.
You really choose to not get it. After not answering the question Jenrick handed to Harries who was then very clear that all along they have said that the comparisons were not particularly valid - yet the government have chosen to present them to us every day for the last 7 weeks or so. She handed back to Jenrick who simply repeated his non-answer to 'why is the comparison graph not appropriate now' (when the CMO has been saying this all along).

It really isn't difficult to see the Jenrick did not answer the 'why up until now but no longer' question when the validity of the comparison has not changed - so it can't be that.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I do critise the Government where I feel they have erred and would support someone who has made a fair comment disagreeing with their actions. if you look back over the last week here you will see plenty of cases where I have done that. Just try and be a little measured in your condemnations.

Bit rich coming from the guy who was calling me "unhinged" :D

pot ... kettle ....

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Very interesting views but not really relevant to the point I was making to a poster who has been commenting a number of times regarding the Governments failiure to achieve their target on testing. I wanted his views on how the logistics could have been improved.

I gave you them.

To get the number of tests up, proactively test front line workers more regularly, and step up the testing in care homes.

To make the number of tests more accurate, stop counting packages sent out in the post. By all means, count them if and when they come back and are tested.

I've said this to you a number of times, but it seems you only read what you want to see.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I gave you them.

To get the number of tests up, proactively test front line workers more regularly, and step up the testing in care homes.

To make the number of tests more accurate, stop counting packages sent out in the post. By all means, count them if and when they come back and are tested.

I've said this to you a number of times, but it seems you only read what you want to see.
That's not what I asked. I asked how the facilities for testing could be improved. Regarding who gets tested, you can drag a horse to water but you cant make him drink.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
I've not been online for a few days, but nothing has changed on this side of the pond.

Covid 19 is neither a public health crisis nor an economic crisis here in America.
It's purely an ideological dog fight.

If, in 2016, you voted for Secretary Clinton, you favor maintaining shelter in place precautions.
If, in contrast, you voted for the diseased and deranged orangutan, you're ready for business as usual.

Except for losing a few bucks in my modest portfolio and not having been able to see my daughter in three months, the pandemic isn't bothering me at all.
I'm comfortable getting a little air while walking Molly and then enjoying the comforts of my home for the rest of the day.
My pension, social security, and medicare coverage aren't affected at all.
True, I'm not playing golf, but at 73, who knows how long that would have lasted anyway?

Others are stressed terribly by the financial burden that comes with being out of work.
I'm sure that's a terrible position in which to be.

Regardless of the financial stress or not, however, opinions are still following ideological lines almost perfectly.
This republic is seriously stressed. It's becoming an existential issue.
The pure resources advantage belonging to this nation sprawling between two great oceans has covered up a lot of flaws for a very long time.
Now the stuffing is finally leaking through the seams.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.