Coronavirus - political views - supporting or otherwise...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
It's a great question. If the virus is now very rare in the community, stands to reason that many might not be requesting one. If that is the case, then perhaps they'll start testing people that feel perfectly healthy, such as care workers and NHS staff and maybe other professions that require it. But, that doesn't happen overnight. They'd need to give it some time to decide whether it is safe to do that, rather than just hitting a temporary trough, and then work out the logistics of it.

It will be interesting what happens when they finally get the reliable antibody tests. I wonder if there will be a sudden surge in tests, as they will be wanting to spread these throughout the community to get a better idea on the actual number of people that have had it.

Yes it's the antibody test which will give a truer picture. I read some while ago( think I posted to the effect) that there is a test by Roche, which is ready for use. I have been looking for an update on that, half surprised the government isn't saying about it.
If that test was widely available then it would help a lot. I have seen other posts here speculating that the virus has been amongst us long before generally thought, anecdotal "evidence" from forummers that they may have had it .
And I imagine quite a few would buy it privately if it were on the market?

Edit. I'm no good at links, but google Roche and Med-tech news , a site which says the UK government is expected to use in mid May

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Johnson tells us that 'they' have decided that the international comparison graph of deaths due to Covid-19 that we've seen every day for the last seven weeks is not useful...on the grounds that the figures shown are not based upon a common counting methodology. Was that not always so? Or what's changed?

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Johnson tells us that 'they' have decided that the international comparison graph of deaths due to Covid-19 that we've seen every day for the last seven weeks is not useful...on the grounds that the figures shown are not based upon a common counting methodology. Was that not always so? Or what's changed?

We're now near the top.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Not a fan but still listen, there's a word for that but as I don't fancy teach picking up my spelling I won't use it. Or is it something else you listen to and then spend the next hour moaning about it on a forum that on many occasions have shown the dislike of the man.
I have the radio on for Eddie Mair - and it rolls quickly into Farage.

I'll usually switch it off right away, but sometimes it's worth just leaving on for a bit to see what anti-government attack he'll launch today...and waiting to see if he's got a '...they picked up 150 illegal immigrants today ...' He often throws in one of these - red meat to keep his fans happy I guess :)

He doesn't irritate me now as he's done the damage that can't been undone.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
So rather than keep repeating your condemnation what do you think the logistical reason is for the tests not being achieved and what could be done to increase them.
Tried to get that off SILH but he's not keen on giving his views. There are just more tests available than the public need/won't.

Last edited:

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Repeating what everybody else decided weeks ago. Do you personally think the figures did or achieved anything when it was obvious that most countries processed the figures differently. Disappointed in Mr Starmer this week, asking the same questions that he has asked before when there is so much outside the current situation going on and need scrutiny.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Johnson also said they'd do 250,000 tests a day, but as he didn't set a time limit, he hasn't been nearly as pressed.

Does it surprise me the tests suddenly ramped up? No. Because ramping up to a certain value is often not linear. The initial stages in the process are getting the facilities and and logistics ready, before they turn them on closer to the final date. If I told you I was going to increase the capacity of my local tesco from 1000 people a day to 20,000 a day in a month, it is likely it will stay at 1,000 a day until that final day, when I open the doors.

In terms of comparing certain death figures, I do not have an exact answer. But, I'm guessing it is likely to do with how up to date these figures are when reporting on a daily basis, or to do with working out whether Covid was a primary reason for death, or it was only very much a background issue in someone that was already incredibly ill. Either way, I absolutely do not accept the government are hiding anything. The fact that you can even debate alternative figures proves that. I'd imagine the UK is one of the most open countries in the world in terms of the information the public can get.
Johnson has said he has an ambition to have 200,000 tests a day (capacity?) being achieved by the end of May.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
'Unhinged"? That's a good one!

I'm not questioning why the target wasn't met, I'm raising the issue of why they are massaging the figures on a daily basis to make it look like they are doing more tests than they actually are.

I haven't mentioned the subject for a while, and wouldn't have if someone hadn't quoted the massaged 85k figure from yesterday.

Sorry if it's boring you, feel free to put me on ignore.
I would prefer not to but I think we all know your opinion on covid testing already, no need to tell us again and again.

Swango1980

Visit site
I guess what has changed is, after weeks of showing the figures, it has become obvious that so much of the press have treated those graphs like a league table. As such, much of the public treat them as a league table. And, this is being used to effectively pin all the blame on government and their advisors.

For weeks, when press have asked, MPs and scientists have continually explained the flaws in directly comparing that data. The main reason they were showing it was to show the trend towards the peak, and following the peak, and how that patterns compares to other countries. The absolute numbers were never truly important, but they at least gave us an indication as to what countries we'd be most similar to. And, let's be honest, if the government never showed these figures from the start, how would the press react?

But, the press just never got it, or chose not to. They had the headlines ready, and where highly anticipating the day when those numbers surpassed Italy. They demand the numbers to be even higher. They say we are hiding excess deaths (even though it was Mr Whitty that actually told us about excess deaths before most of the press latched onto it). Yet, they never demand we add all these figures to any other country.

Basically, the press want their cake and eat it. So, if they are simply too stupid to understand, it is probably for the best that the government dumb their messages down eve more.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
NB, an ambition.
Indeed - an ambition - and capacity. I was quite specific :)

But to be honest - though having an ambition is great - what's the point if you are unlikely to achieve it. I might tell the bank I have an ambition to be a multi-millionaire and so they must invest in my business - but I need a credible business plan. Does Johnson have a credible business plan behind his ambition? Maybe.

Don't think there was much of one in place for the 100,000 tests a day, as it was actually too dependent upon the whims of those who might or might not want to get tested, and them actually doing the test - so not actually something the government could control.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
So rather than keep repeating your condemnation what do you think the logistical reason is for the tests not being achieved and what could be done to increase them.
Surely that's something Keir Starmer should be asking!

I could suggest that it's because Boris is great at bold pronouncements but pretty dire at actually achieving them! Or that the 200k was an announcement to fudge the fact that they missed the 100k PEOPLE test goal (even when attempting to fudge the results) and announce another goal to divert attention. But both woulld be pure speculation, so I won't! ;) To me, it seemed an infrastructure/promotional issue, not purely an 'availability' one.

It's the government's job (note small 'g', so that's Public Servants with direction from Ministers) to create the environment to achieve those goals, just like any other Government (note capital 'g', so that's the elected mob/Cabinet) Policy. It's not up to us (the general Public) to do that work, nor specify how it should be done - though we may have a view or disagree with what is imposed. But it's quite legitimate to 'condemn' Government when they fail in their policies. The simple answer, could well be that Boris was too ambitious and, maybe, too specific in his announcement. I certainly believe he's been over-ambitious in aiming for 200k actual tests (at least that's changed from 'people tested'!) per day by end of May.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I would prefer not to but I think we all know your opinion on covid testing already, no need to tell us again and again.

I wasn't telling you, I was telling the poster who quoted the inflated 85,000 figure.

But thanks for your advice about what I should post. Maybe you could apply that to yourself the next time you want to have a pop at anyone who dares to criticise the govt.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
BBC Scotland now showing HM Government information on Covid 19 which 99% applies to England only.
Needs a disclaimer.
Are they thick, argumentative ….or both.;)
They seem to have totally forgotten that Wales, NI and Scotland devolved nations rejected most of what the UK Government proposed for the UK.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I wasn't telling you, I was telling the poster who quoted the inflated 85,000 figure.

But thanks for your advice about what I should post. Maybe you could apply that to yourself the next time you want to have a pop at anyone who dares to criticise the govt.
I do critise the Government where I feel they have erred and would support someone who has made a fair comment disagreeing with their actions. if you look back over the last week here you will see plenty of cases where I have done that. Just try and be a little measured in your condemnations.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
Cycled passed the local testing centre today, not a single car in there both times I went past, asked the bored looking guards and they said they'd had about 10 cars today (2pm).

Can't really blame the government that people aren't needing to be tested en masse now, you can blame them that these stations were set up far too late.

PaulS

Visit site
BBC Scotland now showing HM Government information on Covid 19 which 99% applies to England only.
Needs a disclaimer.
Are they thick, argumentative ….or both.;)
They seem to have totally forgotten that Wales, NI and Scotland devolved nations rejected most of what the UK Government proposed for the UK.
Wow you’re seriously bitter aren’t you

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Surely that's something Keir Starmer should be asking!

I could suggest that it's because Boris is great at bold pronouncements but pretty dire at actually achieving them! Or that the 200k was an announcement to fudge the fact that they missed the 100k PEOPLE test goal (even when attempting to fudge the results) and announce another goal to divert attention. But both woulld be pure speculation, so I won't! ;) To me, it seemed an infrastructure/promotional issue, not purely an 'availability' one.

It's the government's job (note small 'g', so that's Public Servants with direction from Ministers) to create the environment to achieve those goals, just like any other Government (note capital 'g', so that's the elected mob/Cabinet) Policy. It's not up to us (the general Public) to do that work, nor specify how it should be done - though we may have a view or disagree with what is imposed. But it's quite legitimate to 'condemn' Government when they fail in their policies. The simple answer, could well be that Boris was too ambitious and, maybe, too specific in his announcement. I certainly believe he's been over-ambitious in aiming for 200k actual tests (at least that's changed from 'people tested'!) per day by end of May.
Very interesting views but not really relevant to the point I was making to a poster who has been commenting a number of times regarding the Governments failiure to achieve their target on testing. I wanted his views on how the logistics could have been improved.

Status
Not open for further replies.